• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Or maybe the whole page is beginning to look too busy?

Attached Thumbnails

• busypage.jpg

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

When it comes to social buttons I have a two part test:

1. which social sites are where my audience(s) spend the most time AND (potentially) discuss niche topics: add said buttons.

2. which buttons actually get used: keep or drop accordingly.

Note: there may be significant page differences. If so you may want to consider how to best accommodate.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13463 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I've attached a screenshot with my thoughts.

The page is too busy, making it hard to find the main task and what you want people do.

It needs gutters (the blue arrows you see trying to pull columns apart.)  This means more padding and white space in between columns and elements.

The header is too busy.  Move payment options, facebook and twiitter to the footer.  This is the norm and users know to look there.  By the FB and Twitter icons add an invitation like "Stay connected with us" or something like that.

There are too many navigation links in the header.  "Shipping" should go into a "Customer Service" hub that contains all the customer needed info. 

The left side bar is too cluttered and confusing for a call to action area.  For conversions, avoid putting too many tasks, esp. revenue ones, close together.  If there is a purchase path on this page, its hard to find or follow.

The newsletter...I crossed out.  Should go into a small box with field with a text link by it taking them to a page that describes exactly what they will get, when, etc. Can go in a sidebar or footer.

The little social icons under the video are ok.

The key to social placement is understanding WHEN your target users will be most likely to WANT to use them, and, they must understand WHERE  you are sending them and WHY, to your company facebook page to "like"?  Company Twitter to "follow"?  

Attached Thumbnails

• cre8.png

#4 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I agree with Kim, I think you need a little more white space. What's the current width of your website? It might be you can up the width a little to give you instant white space between the columns.

I think dropping the shadows on the top menu items and around the video might reduce the cluttery feel too. The actual content you have seem quite logical: main video, products featured in the video, other related videos. I would label the left column 'shop for products' or 'view products' in the video.

#5 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Wow! Thanks for taking the time Kim! I agree with the FB & Twitter buttons at the top. The search may not be a reality..so that's out for now.

Width is 960 pixels. Having not looked at screen resolution usage (similar sites/similar viewers) in quite awhile I can see it's probably worth it to increase the size. It appears I'll get about 6% that will need to scroll horizontally. It looks like this site is over 1000. Any good fixed numbers to look at?

That in itself would allow 30 more pixels white space in those gutters if the wrapper/container went to 1025. I could also move the related videos over another 15px and reduce them by 20 or 30 pixels.

For conversions, avoid putting too many tasks, esp. revenue ones, close together.

Yea, agreed. But I was trying to keep it above the fold..for the most part. With so many tablet users now I can see stretching it out. Is that what you're getting at?

Social..(actual FB page and Twitter account) I don't think is that critical, particularly Twitter.  My target audience is mostly over 40 somethings. I've also thought why focus on both FB and a newsletter? I want people to come to the site and not hang out on FB, but they key there is links to the site and not embedded videos.

As far as that credit card logo in the upper right. That's based on previous eCommerce experience where I had difficulties with some wondering if I actually sold products, but it did have a lot to do with the site name. Even big red buy buttons had some still wondering.

I think dropping the shadows...

Really?

Keep it coming. I'll work on these issues the next few days.

#6 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yep, those top menu links are a bit fuzzy to read with the shadows, you might get away with just making them slightly smaller. I'd also add a little padding to the left and right of the text on each button on the menu, so the text isn't so close to the line around the menu item.

If your demographic is older, you might want to look at accessibility for that age group - eg visual impairments become more common.

Could you rearrange the header? Having the search top right is a common location. If you could move the site title more to the right, you could put the search box up there. Maybe put the buying information (credit cards/shipping) just on the shop pages.

#7 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

accessibility for that age group - eg visual impairments become more common.

Yep, I'm testing myself. Visual impairments? Yep. I haven't thought about the navigation text in awhile. Makes sense. Now that I can go wider the text can be larger as well. I had some kind of problem with when I first set it up, but that was months ago when I was still a bit of a newbie with css...and a mega menu I'm using. Now it's all starting to make sense after a long uphill struggle. I'll have something for ya'll to look at tomorrow.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

"You do not have permission to view this attachment."

Get that for both attachments. Anyone else? Another site bug maybe?

#9 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Changes being done. Header really looks boring now..plain, but is that best? Spread things out a bit…footer not done. Wrapper at 1020 pixels.

http://www.hardwoodf...-products2.html

Question About The Site Name

Let me ask one question before I continue. And it has to do with the name. The url is difficult to remember, as there will be dozens of variations people will think of trying to find the site. It was chosen for keywords and it’s the perfect description. I knew ahead of time it was too long but asked around at WW (forgot you guys existed) what I could do. The suggestion was trying to create a branding name that would be easily recognizable and short; hence zzvidz.

The site can be accessed using zzvidz.com and zzvids.com. The name is also ideal for video as each video will have a small reminder (lower thirds/glow effect) every 40 seconds or so that clearly tells the web source. This will be key in the beginning as most traffic will come from YouTube and general Google search with their current love in ranking videos.

Problems. People in my industry are confused by the name. I keep trying to reinforce the fact it has to be done this way, otherwise the word will never spread, and four out of five people will not remember the url correctly.

The Focus

Is on the consumer, the buying public. That’s where the industry is probably confused. The actual industry is not that important anyway…but I’m not going to ignore their confusion until I see results.  Does anyone think there will be any confusion with my target audience? Any suggestions? I keep telling myself there will not be problems because all they care about is a functional site, easily found and remembered and gives them what they want.

It’s still early to make changes as the site has only been up for about five weeks. It also will not see any substantial video content until mid summer.

Oh and don't do a search for zzvidz or zzvids using Google. I'm well aware of the problems. Bing has no problems with it but Gorg...oh my gosh. I'm thinking it will just be a matter of time.

Yikes, there is a bug. I bolded only two paragraph headings

Edited by DonnaFontenot, 03 February 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#10 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Tbh, zzvidz sounds spammy to me, one of those video hosting sites that pop up and then get caught with a ton of illegal content and pulled down again. Is your target audience in the demographic that likes to replace 's' with 'z'? Do you just do videos of hardwood flooring? If so it would be logical to reflect that in your name. Anything with redundant letters and made up words is not easy to remember. A shorter url would be nice, but I much prefer your keyword one to your short one.

I also think you are greatly underestimating your google issue, even if you do take over no. 1 spot (difficult - which of the two sites is likely to attract more links?) that could still very much end up being displayed just below your website, along with a lot of other associated links to their site rather than yours. Plus, one easily mistyped letter and they end up on the wrong site!!

#11 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The name had another reason when I first came up with the idea. I was trying to get something to stick in viewers minds. Most people over 40 in the US can associate with the attached picture (below) combined with the letters zz. Outside the US, very likely no. But very little traffic comes outside anyway. It's not a hot global commodity...different terminology.

PIC- http://www.hardwoodf... screenshot.png

I kind of abandoned the beard and sunglasses idea a few months back. Had a feeling some may be offended for some reason. Now I'm feeling like going back to it, but I'm also going to explore other names, BUT I need SHORT..tough nut to crack thesedays.

I don't understand the replace s with z's part. That long keyword url is a nightmare to remember. I very much disagree with you there because people use so many different terms (words & phrases) for hardwood flooring in the US

made up words is not easy to remember

I don't get that one either. Google is almost a made up word. How many actually knew it was a word15 years ago? Yea, I won't be any Google but...there are a slew of business names that are made up. Comcast, Verizon, Geico..hundreds of names in Silicon Vally. Several quickies off the top of my head.

No image upload option today?

Edited by Ken Fisher, 03 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#12 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Most people over 40 in the US can associate with the attached picture (below) combined with the letters zz.

I kind of abandoned the beard and sunglasses idea a few months back

And the association is ZZ Top?   That's what jumped into my mind.  

If that's the case, how does that help you?   There's a semantic disconnect there that's unsettling.  

Walter

P.S. I don't like this new quote thing

Edited by Walter, 03 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#13 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Walter. I guess I'm seeing things all wrong with trying to create an additional impression (there's a word for it) rather than just another website name. Help me understand why it's unsettling. The fact that you dislike zzTop or it's of no relationship with the content of the site? Is there improvement of working with this or should I just totally forget it? Naturally a few opinions doesn't make a closed case, but it's a start.

Thanks

#14 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Help me understand why it's unsettling.

Maybe if I share the process I went through in order it will help.  First I looked at the site after your post with the video.  I've seen your site before, I know its about hardwood floors, none the less the name "ZZvids" pulled my mind in the direction of some sort of video production company or a site hosting TV shows or movies.  There is no obvious "connection" between the name and the theme of the site.   I didn't make the connection between ZZvids and ZZTop until after I read your comment about people over 40 and looking at the picture you linked to.   I don't know that I ever would have if I hadn't read your comments here.  Even then, I wasn't all together sure and was concerned  my comment could be taken as sarcastic and Kim would put me in detention again :) 

The fact that you dislike zzTop

I'm not a rabid fan of ZZTop, but I like their music.  I actually went and Googled a couple of their songs and listened to them.   The videos are out of date but I'd still classify their music as "good".  However, I'm not sure whether making the connection between ZZTop and ZZvids helped or made things worse.   It explains the picture to me, but I'm left trying to figure out the connection between ZZTop and hardwood floors.  Add a caption like "Everyone Loves a Sharp Wood Floor" and the connection might be more obvious, but why make the connection at all?  What do you gain? 

it's of no relationship with the content of the site

Alright, here I think is the crux of the issue.  It's not just that it has no natural or obvious connection for me to the theme of the site, that would sort of put me in a neutral position, but rather that I do associate the name with something totally unrelated.  I come to your site with preconceptions about what a site names ZZvids is going to be about and its not.   Its a bit jarring.  Its distracting. 

Google is almost a made up word. How many actually knew it was a word15
years ago? Yea, I won't be any Google but...there are a slew of business
names that are made up. Comcast, Verizon, Geico..hundreds of names in
Silicon Vally.

Yes, but I'm guessing when those names originally they were "generic" and therefore put a person in a "neutral" position.    For me, and apparently for Tam, that's not the case with zzvids.  You don't have to define it for us, you have to re-define it and struggle against the associations we've already made.  The name isn't a "blank canvas" like I'm guessing "Google" and such were originally.  I think you're going to be fighting an uphill battle on this one.  

If you're not wedded to the name, I'd choose a different one.   I'd choose one that had a more natural connection to the theme of the site, or a completely generic name without any or with as few associations as possible. 

Hope that helps.

Walter

#15 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Walter. I am definitely changing direction as noted in the new thread

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users