• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

How do I know if my writer I hired is spinning my content? I heard of this term awhile back. I am not a writer, so I need to outsource this. If I am using the wrong term then let me quickly explain it. This is when they take somebody else good content and I guess run it through their software, and it comes out as your content. I do not want anything to violate google, so any tips on checking my content?

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3813 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Copyscape.com is probably your best bet.

#3 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Anyway of just putting my content into something vs the link? It is a real estate page http://azbestlisting...name/casagrande and real listings are coming up when I run it, so maybe that is a good thing - meaning I have quality content?

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Just read it. If it is rubbish, makes no sense in part, poorly written etc. then it may be spun. Or they may be a bad writer. If it reads OK then it is OK, so long as not copied.

#5 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I wonder how much content is actually not spun these days? Talking the other day with a gal who has been into web content marketing for about a year and a half. "Oh, your site gives me so many article ideas" I just ignored her.

Can't we just go back to the year 2000? It was so pleasant then.

#6 copywriter

copywriter

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sansonj - I don't know of any tool that will detect spun content (and you are using the term correctly).  Unless something has changed, CopyScape is to identify copied content, not spun.

Most spinners that use software do come out sounding very strange.  However, people are not manually spinning articles which makes the finished work much harder to detect.

My suggestion is to take a paragraph from the copy or article and paste it into Google inside quote marks.  See if something very close is returned.  If so, chances are your write has delivered spun content to you.

And Ken... you'll be glad to know a LOT of copy and content is original these days. You just have to look in the right place for a writer :)

#7 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Must be the stuff I can only find on Bing or duckduckgo then? :rolleyes:

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2541 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

The time it takes to spin perfectly yuu might at well write the articles by hand!

#9 joehall

joehall

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

If you read it, and it looks spun, it is spun. If it doesn't look spun, then it might still be spun, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't look spun....duplicate content is far more something to worry about when hiring cheap writers, and using copyscape.com  like Donna suggested should do the trick.

Edited by joehall, 04 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#10 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Step one check with copyscape 
The last thing you need is scraped and duplicate content.

Next read the article.

Does it make sense?  Is it pertinent?  Is it good useful or compelling content?

I don't believe that just being a good writer is always good enough.

The best writers write from experience.

This is why it is very difficult for me to write for my wedding favor site.  I have tons of experience making favors but not much for weddings in general.  So I would choose a writer who had at least some experience in the field.

As a matter of fact we are getting ready to launch our redesigned site and I am going to qualify writers to be sure they had some experience in the field rather than just a few English courses.

I am convinced this is the only way to get good compelling and useful articles.

The web already has way more than enough junk content and no one is going to linger on my site to read rehashed trash.

#11 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2541 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

If your spec is sh×× so will your content be

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

SansonJ:

Content on real estate can have a bit of both.   You can write about pretty rich topics that have been covered endlessly...yet the conditions in your market are always changing.   What is current in your market vis a vis investments, maintenance, costs, values, location, yada yada yada yada can change dramatically from year to year.  

Especially where you are located.  Areas around Phoenix took some of the largest hits in the residential real estate crash in the country and are experiencing dramatically different and changing conditions.   Prices crash like crazy.   Then they rebound like crazy.   But each time period is dramatically different.

Regardless of your content and how it might reflect copying of certain themes....one should be able to enrich it dramatically merely by reflecting the dramatic changes in market conditions.

but I'd check copyscape at the outset.   If its copied ....its copied...and then it has to be altered.

#13 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

This is some really good information, so I should update my pages with the latest news and opinions? I do not have daily changes, but at certain points you were getting homes for nothing, but no more. We have rebounded.  So when the market changes I just update my content on my page removing the old and replacing it with the new?

#14 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

I don't know about that, but I do know that the market changes all the time, as you said above.   If I were writing real estate content I'd always tie it to current conditions.   

That alone might not be the entire answer you are looking for, but its my suggestion with regard to content creation on that topic.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users