• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Quick question, I think, I've been approached a couple of times from people in different countries about translating content from my website (on rabbit care) into their local languages to be hosted on their websites. These are genuine enthusiasts with websites about bunnies, have brought my book, will reference it back to me and have asked first - they just want to educate others about appropriate pet care.

Google etc. aren't going to object/penalize either me or them if I say go for it, are they?

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3703 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

You should be fine. Of course, it's Google we're talking about, so what they think is fine one day may not be the next. But at the moment, G doesn't mark same content in different languages as dup content.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

So long as they do not auto translate with Google - I bet Google can detect that and are smart enough to know when somebody is using auto translate to create unique content.

You could charge them a fee, set up a contract etc. Then you can some money too. 

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4453 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

I agree with Donna: to date Google does not view content in different languages as duplicate. Given that software translation tools (and G is all about software scalability) do not render precisely enough to meet current duplicate content thresholds I do not expect that to change anytime soon. As support to this:

* I have rendered my sites into two other languages on their own domains without problem.

* scrapers who run my content through G translate and republish rank well until I serve G with a DMCA.

Jon: I don't believe G pays any attention to sites being G translated; or, if they do the scraper sites are certainly not penalised in any way.

#5 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Excellent :) As far as I understand they'll be translating it themselves or even if they run it through google I'm sure fixing the dodgy translations afterwards :)

I'm not charging, they are just people with an interest in bunnies not businesses :)

#6 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Content translated into another language is classed as unique, but I remember Matt Cutts saying something about being wary of adding multiple auto-translated versions of a document as it can look like spam. So if there's going to be a few try and make sure there's a human touch. :)

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

You mean gtranslate does dodgy translations!

#8 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

You mean gtranslate does dodgy translations!

I've found the video - he does mention 'a difference in quality' between Google Translate and humans! He says because it's auto generated and recommends blocking auto-translated stuff with robots.txt.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users