• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Google is killing Google Reader as of July 1. For those who use it often, like me and I believe many opinion leaders, this is disastrous news.

Of course it doesn't make any money for Google and perhaps it's true they would like to siphon its users to Google Plus instead.  However there are a number of petitions that have instantly started with many thousands of signers so perhaps the sleeping giant can take another look at who they really want to have on their side.

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13361 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for posting this..I've been following this news on Facebook but didn't have time to post here about it.  I tried to test 2 readers that were recommended by Tamar and Barry (Rustybrick) but was so jammed it couldn't run its import function and the other one, the server crashed from the rush of people investigating it.

Google giveth and Google always taketh away.  I petition that to be their new tagline  :emo_gavel:  :spambuster:  

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

What am I going to do!

I've already dealt with the turmoil of Bloglines closing.  I struggled getting over that, eventually settling on Google Reader, and now that's off too!

I did use netvibes for a little while, it was alright, but then that got blocked at work as a 'social networking' web site.....

#4 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Maker Community Manager

• Admin - Top Level
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Like they said on Twitter, there will be some cool feed reader startups - people will feel inspired and motivated. Hoping to look at the bright side...

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thunderbird + RSS feeds? 

I never got on with Google Reader, so not really qualified to say much!

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5168 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

A few years ago I almost decided to spend 1/2 of my time creating Knols.   Praise God I didn't do that.

These free services with no revenue are dangerous.

*waiting for iamlost to sing about depending upon free stuff*

#7 joedolson

joedolson

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Technical Administrators
  • 2902 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Definitely an irritating change. I wouldn't say I'm dependent on Google Reader, but there isn't a lot comparable -- and it was a pretty nice product. I hope they'll reconsider, but, honestly, I seriously doubt it....I'm going to have to figure out what my new RSS reading method will be, I guess. I don't really want to go app based; being web based was really the advantage of Google Reader over something like Thunderbird.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yahoo pipes plus outlook rss feed reader in client. Everything nicely organized!

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4291 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

I once used Blogger for RSS too - easy to make a page that has a series of feeds displayed in blocks.

A bit like iGoogle? what was that called?

#10 ptsmultimedia

ptsmultimedia

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Like seosmarty said, this will spark many young minds into creating reader-like start ups - and heck, they will probably be better then Googles! Do you think that google will integrate anything into google+? Another thing that came to my mind is perhaps they have something else in the works and just have not released anything about it yet. We shall see, but either way something better WILL come around! 

#11 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm in agreement with A.J.Kohn that Google may be losing a valuable source of information about what the more influential inhabitants of the Web may be doing with the latest news as mirrored in RSS newsfeeds.  I've set out this view in a post I've just written: Will Google Blindside Itself With Its Google Reader Shutdown I doubt whether all the clamor will cause a Google rethink, but it would be nice if it did. :)

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5168 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think that they should just sell it to someone who will take care of it or start charging a fee that makes a profit.

Seems a real waste to dump it and its users.

Edited by EGOL, 19 March 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#13 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

That would've been an excellent option, EGOL!

I'm trialling Feedly at the moment, seems the be the best of the few I've looked at, initially ignored it as it's a browser plugin rather than just a web page, but saw a number of positive comments.

#14 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Me too, Adrian.  With a bit of manoeuvring you can get it to look like Google Reader and I imported all my Google Reader subscriptions so that was painless.  Now I've got to figure out how I can avoid it opening up with a magazine-style Home page of the Today top stories.  I hope I don't have to put up with that for too long.  Oh for the KISS principle. #savegooglereader

#15 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

If you go into preferences from the bottom of the left hand menu you can choose the default view and set it to titles only.  I've done just that!

All I want is a nicely updated list of all articles from all feeds  that I can click on.  All this magazine/dashboard tosh is useless!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users