• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Okay, so I have this blog that I haven't touched in three years. It took me awhile to even find the password and username after I received this no-reply message

certainly like your website however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts.

A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find

it very bothersome to inform the reality however I'll definitely come back again

It's making me think because it triggered an emotional response. I may learn something from it? By the way, no spelling errors. I always check that. That's where the emotional response came from

My reply...

You win an award for creativity with your spammy reply. Very creative...blah, blah, blah. Then I mentioned doing some research on no follow links.

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hmmm, they probably do not know where their comment appears, most likely all automated.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13522 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Definitely robo spam!

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2519 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Logged into an old site the other day and it had 397,000 comments waiting approval.

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13522 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I no longer accept comments on my blog.  The days of intelligent dialog on blogs has ended, with some exceptions of course.

#6 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I thought most of what I've been seeing are behind the times Joe Public types that think link spam works. Most of the links are to smaller mom and pops type businesses.

#7 DianeV

DianeV

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

If you're talking about WordPress-based blogs (self-hosted), I find Conditional CAPTCHA for Wordpress to be invaluable. When someone comments, if his/her info (email address? name?) is NOT in the Akismet database, then no captcha is presented.

However, for commenters who do appear in the Akismet database: when they submit their comment, they'll be presented with a captcha that they must fill out in order to submit their comments.  (You can have Conditional CAPTCHA for Wordpress either retain the comment in your WP spam queue or delete it altogether.)

At least, that's how I use it. There is a "basic" setup where anyone not logged in sees a captcha, and the "Akismet" option (which I mentioned above).
http://wordpress.org...tional-captcha/

This cuts down on blog spam tremendously. Some does get through, but very little.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

I removed Akismet and added Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin and this is much better for me. Simple tick box seems to stop all spammers and is far easier for real people to use.

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2053 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I no longer accept comments on my blog The days of intelligent dialog on blogs has ended, with some exceptions of course

It's sad we are at this point. How often you read some posting and would just like to add a word or two.... but then you have to sign in, give all your info, manage another set of credentials. Just not worth it. The spammers have won.

#10 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Rubbish. There are loads of blogs with little spam and plenty of good discussion.

The spammers have not won, lazy webmasters have lost. 

Like with forums, it takes effort to keep them free of pests while maintaining conversation.

Another thought though - people still like to talk. If they are not talking in forums or blogs, where are they talking? Do you need to be there instead?

#11 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Another thought though - people still like to talk. If they are not talking in forums or blogs, where are they talking? Do you need to be there instead?

I guess Google Plus arrived just in time. :)

#12 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2053 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

where are they talking? Do you need to be there instead?

At the end of a bar drinking a beer solving all the world problems in one night. Don't know how many times we've solved the world's problems.

But I disagree. Spammers have won. We the people have lost because you have to go through too many hoops to leave a comment. Lazy webmasters have lost also but I was making reference to we.

Edited by bobbb, 02 April 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#13 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Maybe so, but the captcha plugin I mentioned (Conditional CAPTCHA for Wordpress) doesn't require logging in; it just shows a captcha IF the commenter is in the Akismet database. No muss; no fuss.

(In fact, I purposely don't allow registrations.)

#14 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Same here. No registrations, no akismet, no spam. 

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13522 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I find Conditional CAPTCHA for Wordpress to be invaluable.

Sweet!  Thanks Diane.  Will give it a go.  So FANTASTIC to see you drop by  :cheerleader:  :bighug:

#16 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Glad to be able to make a recommendation. (And, yeah, I missed ya.)

#17 amabaie

amabaie

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Comments are still valuable and I accept them on my blogs.  Askimet gets rid of most of the trash.  I probably should also do the tick box, too.  It frustrates me when I get to a post that does not accept comments or makes me log in just to comment (and, yes, I end up just passing, because it's too much work to be constantly lsetting up new accounts).

#18 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4389 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

David, try it for a while without Akismet if you use the tickbox. You may find you do not need it. Well, I do get some manual spam, but I moderate heavily.

#19 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's sad we are at this point. How often you read some posting and would just like to add a word or two.... but then you have to sign in, give all your info, manage another set of credentials. Just not worth it. The spammers have won.

We are spoiled and need everything now!  Why spend 2 minutes signing up when I can shoot my mouth off on inyourfacebook?

I remember back in the day when if I wanted to participate in a bb I had to xerox my license and MAIL it in, then wait for a password.  Forget about attachments at 1200 baud. 

#20 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2053 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

It's not the now I care about. It's the personal info. I prefer giving my real name instead of using nickname. Not my email, and home address. Maybe I should create throwaway e-mail and always use the same password.

If I met up with a no registration as jonbey describes that would do it. But anything I visit always says register to post and I understand that. Remember these are one time posts to which I would probably never return. Different than here.

In them days of baud rates privacy issues were different than today.

#21 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Okay. I don't require registrations (I prevent them, actually), but I do use the Conditional CAPTCHA for Wordpress (with Akismet), which gets rid of almost every spam comment.

Then, I moderate the commenter's first comment. After that, they're good to go. No registering, etc.

That said, if you don't want to give out your "real" email address for posting, by all means use another one.

#22 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2053 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I moderate the commenter's first comment

Wow on a busy site that must be a lot of work. Thumbs up for the No registering

#23 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Wow on a busy site that must be a lot of work. Thumbs up for the No registering

True enough. But less work than just letting spammers post whatever whenever. :)

#24 mihaistamate

mihaistamate

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Spammers nowadays keep fighting really hard. I get a few spam comments almost daily, they're getting really bad.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users