13 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13599 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

"I don’t think a link can affect your SERP"

This comment was left in one of my blog posts recently.  I thought the Cre8tive Community might want to respond and educate.  :infinite-banana:

#2 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

1.  Title tags relevant to on-page content, supported by

2. relevant inlinks from

3. reputable sites.

Or, really big fluffy link wheels comprised of a fake facsimile of the same, which might work until Google checks for the two Rs mentioned above. 

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2580 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

"I don’t think a link can affect your SERP"

You're right, Google's the problem.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

But of course links are unnecessary - just as soon as a SE algorithm can directly rate content value/quality. But until that pie in the sky day somewhere over the rainbow... the first half of that statement is quite correct:

I don’t think...

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4424 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Maybe it was a deliberate attempt by an SEO firm to leave a controversial comment on an SEO blog ..... maybe.

Maybe they actually mean "I don’t think a bad link can affect your SERP" - they did comment on a penguin / disavow related thread which started with "What happens when you’re contacted to remove a link from your web site"

Surely the context of their comment is important here, and they may well be correct - in these cases, most links are not hurting you - only the ones that have been bought and flagged by Google, or course. Which could be the same ones .... 

#6 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well if Google is still using PageRank for real, a link always affects your ranking in the SERPs.  The effect can of course be positive or negative.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2580 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

But of course links are unnecessary - just as soon as a SE algorithm can directly rate content value/quality. But until that pie in the sky day somewhere over the rainbow... the first half of that statement is quite correct:

Glad to see someone else struggling with Quotes!

#8 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

It's hard to believe someone would actually say that .  Even anchor text links from - 0 - PR directories  and unrelated sites still work just as well as they did before.  Use wisely.....if you can't afford to get burned, then you'll have to get links the old fashioned way, "earn them."  You might want to keep keyword anchor text links down to about 15%.

It's virtually impossible to compete without links.  The only people that say you don't need links are running information sites that people really are interersted in and will search them out.  Links and ranking are easy with an information site.  It doesn't happen that way with an e-commerce site, unless your e-commerce site is instantly trusted because they are a major brand that google is afraid to leave out of the search results.

#9 mihaistamate

mihaistamate

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Of course a link can affect a website's SERPS. It's important that it's a good link so the website's SERPS will be affected in a good way.

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13599 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's important that it's a good link

And this is the rub.  What is a "good" link?  If you ask an SEO to define a "good" link, you will get a wide variety of answers.  For persuasive designers like me, a "good" link has less to do with SEO and more to do with user tasks and meeting site business goals.  

#11 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

And this is the rub.  What is a "good" link?  If you ask an SEO to define a "good" link, you will get a wide variety of answers.  For persuasive designers like me, a "good" link has less to do with SEO and more to do with user tasks and meeting site business goals.  

A good back link is one that brings visitors that (1) want to be 'here' for whatever reason(s) and (2) convert in support of 'here's' business model. Note that search and search engine is not a requirement. What is forgotten by many/most SEOs who are in the business of selling search, most often limited to Google, placement/traffic/etc. that SEs are NOT the alpha omega of web existence - but they have their SEO hammer so see all marketing, all traffic, all everything as a search nail.

Unfortunately instead of SEO being a part of marketing to too many marketing is seen as SEO - search aka Google shall deliver. And so all the link effort goes into, not links for targeted traffic, but links for increased search/Google traffic. The first gets you two kicks at the traffic can but it takes work and time and they apparently can't be bothered, can't sell the effort, can't scale the effort, or haven't a clue being one SEO trick ponies. Yes, I love to muddle metaphors.

Are there SEOs that see the bigger picture? Of course. But even they tend to emphasise search - they have that hammer after all.

#12 mihaistamate

mihaistamate

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

It depends. A link can affect your website in a good or in a bad manner, it depends on the link. Also, it depends on a lot of other things, not only on that link.

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13599 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

A link can affect your website in a good or in a bad manner, it depends on the link.

Do you have examples to share?   What is a good link or bad link?

#14 Mkhitaryan

Mkhitaryan

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

I suppose it depends on 'your SERP' :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users