• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CFGMedia

CFGMedia

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Does anybody here use Adobe's Creative Cloud products for web design. If so, what are your thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

#2 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

CFG,

I haven't used it.   I'm not going to say that I don't like the concept if it's provided as an alternative, but I feel like they're kind of forcing it down people's throats. I think it's the future though so I guess people like myself will have to adapt. I think they're going to make sure that there are some benefits, more frequent, (if less substantial), updates and new little gadgets. 

Walter

#3 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

I had expected the corporation i work for to upgrade us to Adobe's Creative Cloud. Instead, they bought a large volumn of individual licenses for various CS6 premium packs and upgraded the people they thought needed it most. I was probably the last person still using CS3 before the upgrade (I got a new computer too). I appreciate the upgrade but would have preferred the cloud which provides access to the entire Creative Suite plus updates. Instead, i'm limited to the Adobe Design and Web Premium (CS6) pack with updates disabled (my IT department demands total control over our systems).

The cloud also offers server disk space for sharing files. This is important for us as we often work in teams but we have other systems in place for sharing files and co-ordinating projects.

I'm sure we got a large discount on our licenses but the cloud looks much cheaper and beneficial to me.

#4 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Welcome CFG,

Good to see you here.

I haven't used it.  The pricing in the short term is very appealing compared to the pricing for the CS6 Master Collection.

You can have your own set and get past the pricing issues by becoming a student.  I'm always taking classes at the local community college and will continue to do so until I have taken all of their design, programming and IT courses.  This could take a while. :)

The point being, I bought the CS5 Master Collection for the student price which is around $700.  CS6 is the same.

I wonder if the cloud processing times for video would be too slow?

Edited by chuckfinley, 05 April 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#5 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

I wonder if the cloud processing times for video would be too slow?

With the cloud you download and install the software on your system. You also work on your files directly on your system so processing time isn't effective. I'm sure processing a video or other large files on a server across the internet would be unuseably slow.

The cloud just gives you space where you can store some files that you and your team members can get to with any internet connection. It also uses the cloud server to check your account status every month. Miss a payment and your software stops working.

#6 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

With the cloud you download and install the software on your system. You also work on your files directly on your system so processing time isn't effective. I'm sure processing a video or other large files on a server across the internet would be unuseably slow.

The cloud just gives you space where you can store some files that you and your team members can get to with any internet connection. It also uses the cloud server to check your account status every month. Miss a payment and your software stops working.

Thanks wiser3, that's good info. :)

#7 CFGMedia

CFGMedia

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the great replies! I see they're offering a 30 day trial right now. I think I'll give it a shot.

#8 Evmikna

Evmikna

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Creative Cloud!!! The "bees knees!"

I use nearly every one of their products to create my websites.

Until Creative Cloud, I was always years behind in updating my Adobe products.

#9 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I've been trying to download a 30 day trial specifically for Dreamweaver CC so I can get accustomed to responsive design. All sorts of technical issues has prevented any download success two times in the past. Thanks for bringing this up again. I'll give it another shot..

Progress.... zzzzzzz...

So far so good. Now downloading "Creative Cloud Desktop"

Installing....

Launching...really, where? Thar it is...finally

THEY forgot my password.

Sign In...

Download DW CC

"you have to sign in again"

says it's downloading. I see no activity in my downloads.

zzzzzzzz

Oh there's the download activity...in the small Creative Cloud browser window

Golly, looks like I may finally have it this time.

#10 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

:emo_gavel:  Failed again. Crap

#11 Evmikna

Evmikna

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Ya gotta have blazing internet speed. These programs are huge! :D

#12 Evmikna

Evmikna

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

One thing I should mention...

I use AfterEffects with some 3rd party plugins.

Eventhough Creative Cloud keeps you on the leading edge of the latest and greatest Adobe, beware that these plugins will sometimes break. I tend to give it 6 months before I upgrade.

Also about Responsive Design... Adobe still lacks in this area. They promote Adobe Edge Reflow as their Responsive design tool BUT it is still in preview version and DOES NOT allow you to publish. Dreamweaver now has fluid layouts, but I have not played around with them enough.

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

The DW fluid layouts part is pretty nifty.  It could be better but for learning how to handcode responsive design, it is really helpful.

I bounce between that and Notepad +++

#14 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

I got it to work finally. It looks responsive to me. Guess I don't understand the terminology. Layout shows considerable changes from my older CS5 but I might be able to get my head into it...may take a few years :rolleyes:

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Responsive is just that...web pages that "respond" to whatever resolution they are asked to perform in.  This is not the same as browsers.  So, for example, CSS3 will include commands for various rendering on all the browsers a page is loaded into.  There is a separate set of instructions as well, in CSS3, for resolutions used in responsive design.

When designing a responsive layout, 3 resolutions are chosen. One for cell phone, one for tablet and one for desktop.  The CSS instructions specify how each page renders for each resolution, which is specified in the CSS as well, like 450/980/1400 just as a rough example.

The is different than making separate sites for different resolutions, which is not recommended.  Responsive design is easy to spot when you can see a page with many elements like photos, apps, forms, blocks of content or rows of products stack vertically rather than horizontally.  A page with a slider will not show the slider at all on the smaller resolution, but the slider can appear on the tablet and desktop.

#16 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

This is a good article.

http://alistapart.co...sive-web-design

Even Google links to it as an example. Gave it a try and it worked. The tricky part was the resolution break points like 450/980/1400

I used 1048 and 860 to set widths to 75% and 100% respectively with anything > to 59%. This is based on that article.

The magic trick which I forgot was:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"> 

and to test: http://www.browserstack.com/responsive

And yes I coded it by hand.

Edited by bobbb, 28 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#17 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Ah and my test using browserstack above and the Google responsive adsense unit shows G may not be getting it right.

On a smaller size (320) their ad stuck out to what seemed 728. But maybe browserstack simulates their test. Or maybe browserstack snaps a picture before the responsive ad has time to adjust because at time they are blank.

Edited by bobbb, 28 July 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#18 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Responsive is just that... One for cell phone, one for tablet and one for desktop.

Yea, that's what I thought. I can see all that stuff just looking at the whatchacallit when I click responsive design layout when creating a page.

It surprises me of the very few responsive sites out there. I was trying to find examples of common sites I go to. Bigger sites too. Do they just have mobile versions instead of responsive?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users