• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

A conversation at ThreadWatch entitled Google Slaps Mozilla.Org Over UGC got me thinking about a blindingly simple way for Google to improve its search service.  I thought the topic might be of interest here.

At the moment Google tries to clean up the mess created by everyone's enthusiasm for creating multiple backlinks, however low quality the webpages may be.  They do this by informing people when they may have transgressed the current guidelines for high-quality webpages and links.  However Google is constantly criticized for providing minimal and less than satisfactory information.  

Clearly Google knows which pages are unacceptable and does ensure they have no search visibility within their algorithms.  Given this, I came up with this wild idea that if Google knows which web pages to ignore, then they should just do that and take no further action. They should not inform the website owner either.  Doesn't everyone win with this simple approach? :)

If Google gave no indication then the webmaster will never know and will continue to assume that his bad behaviour, which is negatived by Google anyway, is worth pursuing. Only he or she is the loser.  So much less work for Google.  They've put up the rules of good behaviour.  If we find our website performance is less than we would like, then it's up to us to consider where we might be going wrong and how we might improve.  Google avoids the burden of giving warnings.  What's wrong with this KISS approach?

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4432 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Yes, that would be good for Google and users. But Google is one of the good guys remember - and Google knows that many people are still duped into buying shadey SEO services that ruin their website's reputation. It wants to help these people ensure that their businesses are ranked fairly, so it informs them of problems. 

It does not have to do this, but it does. Why? Because Google does want the best businesses to be present at the top of the search pages. It is also a good way to determine who the real businesses are, as spammers will not go to the forums and ask how to correct the problem, the real businesses sometimes do.

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2192 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

But Google is one of the good guys remember

I hope this is facetious. They used to be at one time. Wonder if chuckfinley would agree on the "good guy" thing :)

But they do want the best SERPs possible. So points for that.

The original poster of that thread said "Google has ruined the original functionality of the WWW and links". How many of those links would exist if it were not to improve ranking?

Ah! Did I mention that Google competes with Mozilla in the "browser war". If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that.

Edited by bobbb, 25 April 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5500 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I agree with you Barry.... but Google gets less publicity that way.

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I agree with you Barry.... but Google gets less publicity that way.

but why would they want mostly negative publicity ... and at what cost and human energy both within Google and everyone else.

I'm sure Google would find it impossible to step away from their present collective mindset and try to see this completely alien point of view.  However if the organization could do it, I think they would find enormous benefits from this alternative model of how Search should be done.

#6 gabs

gabs

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Isn't it just a pr stunt just like the bbc.. It's only one page full of spammy comments.. 

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4432 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think it can only be considered negative publicity if people other than SEOs are talking about it. And I cannot see much discussion outside of the SEO world - certainly nothing on the mainstream UK news. Judging by the comment spam that was on the page users should get better results if those links are not counted.

As far as I can see the whole story is that people who previously spammed Mozilla to rank better in Google will no longer be able to do so as they have been found out. Probably a case of a few careless / stupid SEOs ruining it for all those who used Mozilla in a sensible way to help boost their SEO.

As for Google being "good guys" - I think they are. They may not hold your hand and highlight every single problem, but they do indicate when there is a problem and provide ways to fix them. They told Mozilla;

"Google has detected user-generated spam on your site. Typically, this kind of spam is found on forum pages, guestbook pages, or in user profiles."

OK, at the time they did not link the page, but people soon worked it out (the one with about 20k follow links in comments I think!). Does Bing do this? When did Bing last get thrashed for removing spam from their index? When did Bing last inform webmasters of problems with their site SEO and provide a way to clean up (disavow, reinclusion requests etc.) prior to penalising? More importantly, when did they send any significant traffic?

As you know, I have had my fair share of backside dropping disasters in the Google search arena. But, Google does provide a way out, and I am sure each person out there who is quick to bash Google is quite happy with the free traffic and adsense pennies too. Several people on these forums have recovered from the many Google penalties over the years, from thin affiliate through to Panda and Penguin (a year old this week). The fact that you can recover based on some of the advice from Google and the Google contributors in the forums, plus some excellent SEO's here on Cre8, puts Google in a relatively good place in my books.

The bottom line is that this is only a story in the SEO world, and only really relevant to those who were abusing Mozilla to gain PageRank.

#8 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2061 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

There was a bit on google on the BBC today: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22293238 not sure if that will just effect EU google results.

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2192 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hopefully that will trickle over to North America.

Liked this part  "But the Microsoft-backed lobby group Initiative for a Competitive
Marketplace (Icomp) was not convinced the changes went far enough"

Strange hearing MS preach competitiveness. Weren't singing that song 15 years ago.

#10 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I hope this is facetious. They used to be at one time. Wonder if chuckfinley would agree on the "good guy" thing :)

But they do want the best SERPs possible. So points for that.

The original poster of that thread said "Google has ruined the original functionality of the WWW and links". How many of those links would exist if it were not to improve ranking?

Ah! Did I mention that Google competes with Mozilla in the "browser war". If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that.

You can never have too many conspiracy theories when it comes to google. ;)

#11 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

but why would they want mostly negative publicity ... and at what cost and human energy both within Google and everyone else.

I'm sure Google would find it impossible to step away from their present collective mindset and try to see this completely alien point of view.  However if the organization could do it, I think they would find enormous benefits from this alternative model of how Search should be done.

I couldn't agree more, you've said it all.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users