• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2592 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

It's official the penguin is out and I am not seing any pain whatsoever, most of my sites are popping up all over the place.

Who's got pain, and who has been taking screenshots and comparing the data?

G.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

No pain.

So far traffic is within normal fluctuation parameters. Perhaps my niches aren't especially 'spammy' in G's eyes?

Note: I don't monitor SERP rather traffic volume, flow, and conversion.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4427 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Some pain.

And some really spammy sites creeping up the rankings too.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

I see a hit with regard to one site.  Not huge but not good.   

We are already preparing what we think is serious good content that should change the linking equation...but we'll see down the line.  Its a hit...Its not good but its not devastating.

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2592 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

No pain.

So far traffic is within normal fluctuation parameters. Perhaps my niches aren't especially 'spammy' in G's eyes?

Note: I don't monitor SERP rather traffic volume, flow, and conversion.

I track serp traffic over loads of niches so I can see when something changes.

Clients get ranking report if they want, but it's not part of what they have contractually to evaluate my service.

#6 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

The hits are showing in straight organic and in the 7 pac which is often a composite ranking of organic and from maps

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5484 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

All sites normal here.

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

All sites normal here.

wanna trade???   :D

#9 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5484 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

wanna trade???   :D

Hell no!

#10 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1034 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I havent seen any changes in my own sites. I was hoping to see one of my competitors to get a big penalty as their entire seo strategy is based on buying links (including many obvious footer sitewide links) but everything stays the same for them too

#11 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

I have one personal site that dropped about 10 places, but I did some questionable link building so it probably deserved it.  Most clients stayed the same.  A couple saw a slight increase.  (Yay).

#12 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Lots of review sites jumped up to the first page -- Yelp, Merchant Circle, etc. and even Tumblr and PR Web are showing up.

#13 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Lots of review sites jumped up to the first page -- Yelp, Merchant Circle, etc. and even Tumblr and PR Web are showing up.

Chuck I've seen that phenomena for a while subject to some of the other published penquin hits.    it could be that this hit increased the volume of that phenomena.

I was wondering about this subject to that video wherein Matt Cutts spoke about upcoming "changes" for this summer.   Besides letting us know penquin 2.0 was coming up he said something about emphasizing "authority" of some level for sites sometime this month.

While these larger sites w/ domain authority are popping up more frequently now I can't imagine they define "authority"...  but then I'm not a  google engineer.    

I'm wondering if a different filter or change later this summer might change that somewhat.

something else abt that phenomena with regard to local sites.   I've been focused on local for a longish time.  I think it was around 2005 or 2006 when Bill Slawski published one of his first pieces on google patents.  He published it here rather than seobythesea.  It was about organic rankings for local.   I was following it back then and working on it.

At that time, and before the algo change that the patent described took effect...google's algo for local sucked in real life.   if you did a search for a plumber in chicago you'd probably find ebay and amazon and mega directories on the top of the search results and a ways down you might find some local sites for local Chicago plumbers.

That patent corrected it.  I recall the period of change which hit during one of those "google dances" that used to take effect when major algo changes occurred.

then a couple of years later...when google inserted info from maps.google.com and the map and the 3,5,7 and 10 pacs...there was a lot of commentary about how this local info was showing over directories and IYP's etc.

ding d*** ding d***....these changing serps over time are going full circle.     either that or I'm showing my seo age.  ;)

#14 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

ding d*** ding d***....these changing serps over time are going full circle.     either that or I'm showing my seo age.   ;)

Definitely full circle -- the directories were out and now they're in. 

When matt was talking about authority, I was thinking about your comments on rel=author.  I think g##### wants experts who market themselves by publishing to show their expertise.  How will that affect domain authority?  Or, am I making a connection that's not there?

#15 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4427 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

So, is this Penguin very different to previous ones?

I was hit. According to MajestiSEO I got a lot of links in Feb-March this year. Over 12,000 on one domain.

So I am wondering if my problem is due to the 12,000 links that somebody pointed at my site, or older stuff. 

I have never done any of the stuff that people have so far written about, with the exception of some keywords in directory listings (it was quite popular once....). Not a lot though. 

I disavowed the site which kindly gave me 12,000 earlier in the year. Wondering if I should now make an attempt to tackle the old directory links, or just dis them.

Lots of new links, woo hoo!

backlinks majestic seo.png

Edited by jonbey, 25 May 2013 - 08:57 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users