Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Aha! The Likely Reason Behind The New Gmail Tabs!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Just noticed this in the "new Gmail". Tweeted about it here: https://twitter.com/...187681654833153

How much ya wanna bet this is the reason we suddenly have the new Gmail Tabs? Why? So Google can now show ginormous ads, disguised as a promotional email.

What's This?

It's a new type of ad which you can forward to a friend, or star to save it to your inbox. If you dismiss this ad, you won't see it again.

new-gmail-ads.png

Sneaky devils.

The reasoning they gave us was to help us organize emails and get promotional emails out of the way. B.S.

It was so they could spam us with MORE promotional emails that we DIDN'T sign up for. Way to get around the CAN-SPAM act, Google, and make money in the process.  :spambuster:

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

If you dismiss this ad, you won't see it again.

And if you dismiss that ad they will know you are not interested in it ... and replace it with a new one.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9002 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

As some may be aware, I'm on a kick to use as few Gmail labels as possible.  After reviewing all that's going on, I've gone back to a very simple listing where I look at a split between Important and Everything else.  I've written up in a number of places my logic for adopting this approach.  So I don't get involved with all these new tabs. :)

#4 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

You guys use too many google products, your just feeding the whale.

#5 gabs

gabs

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

I last 1 week before removing them.. 

If it had a view all tag I would of kept them 

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have been using advice from Barry Welford on how to keep my gmail organized.  My son has the new Gmail but i do not.  My husband is returning to what was it...Thunderbird?  Remember Eurdora?  I used them for years.

I think that google analytics and webmastertools required a gmail account. Am I wrong on that?

#7 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think that google analytics and webmastertools required a gmail account. Am I wrong on that?

You are - the default on the sign up form is to register a new gmail account, but a link directly under the text box gives the option to register with an existing e-mail address. I think creating a Google account automatically gives you a Google+ account though!

I deleted those annoying gmail tabs as soon as they appeared. Yahoo is getting so bad I was just beginning to prefer gmail to any other e-mail product. I hate it how they assume you want anything that's new, moving all my e-mails. It's a terrible user experience. And now I'm getting loads of e-mails from every mailing list I'm on: "IMPORTANT - OPEN IF YOU USE GMAIL" etc...

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Got the tabs. It just means clicking 4 times to read new mail. Daft. If it is worth reading I want to see it.

#9 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2486 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

I like the green tabs, it adds a positive feeling to the crap I usualy get.

It's designed to kill email marketing so that monetization can be offered for popping you into the REAL inbox :)

#10 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Its time to move away from an All-Google-Products strategy one by one. Google Reader's departure was a great catalyzer  to it. I'm waiting for when they stop FeedBurner too. 

Does anyone use the new Microsoft Outlook web portal?

#11 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Just read a relevant article on Practical Ecommerce....

"MailChimp, a popular email marketing solutions provider, says that the new Gmail tabs that are intended to help users clean up their inboxes have negatively impacted open rates for email marketing campaigns,"

http://www.practical...ing-Expert-Says

It's not as dire as it sounds if you rely on email to drive sales.

#12 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

I've a gmail account, but I don't use it because it doesn't mark email as replied too, which seems a pretty basic requirement. I'm not going to remember to manually label things or what I've replied to.

I use thunderbird mainly. Although I do use gmail for spam filtering, set it to download a POP3 box, then forward the filtered email to another POP3 box. That way no spam and an automatic backup.

#13 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9002 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

It may be that you have selected not to have the Conversation View, Tam. If you had you would see the original message with your reply and further messages and replies in that same conversation.

You select Conversation View, or not, by looking at the settings under the Gear wheel at the top right.  In the long list of options you will see the following:

conversation_view.png

Hope that helps. :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users