• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I will launch a website soon and I plan to have the whole thing out of Google's clutches. No more Google Webmaster tools, no more Google+, no more Google analytics, no more Google Places/Business, no more youtube, nomore blogger, absolutely no more google code on my webpages again.

First off it's the analytics that has to go: Although I've never really married with the Borg prefering Clicky.com, the proliferation of GA through bigger more "savvy" clients means that I have had to know it better. I have actually learnt some stuff with GA and do very much like the fact that you can create dashboards very easily.

Alternatives to Google analytics...what does the market have? And we'll move on from there.

G.

#2 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6233 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

No dashboards, per se, but it has always been good for me (and no sharing data with a third party).

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

#3 NathanielB

NathanielB

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Not sure why you would want to completely turn your back on google, but I guess you have good reason?

Anyways, I just did a google for "google analytics alternative" and this one was first http://www.expand2we...hould-consider/ its got a few which look rather good, so could be worth a look and try of some depending on your needs and hosting type :)

I would also second awstats, I have never really used it a great deal as I have always used GA, but I know a lot of domainers and webmasters etc use it as its a standard with cpanel.

Edited by NathanielB, 06 August 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#4 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Ive started using Clicky for about a month. I plan on running it along with Google Analytics for the same site and compare the data after couple months. At the same time decide whether I want to switch my larger websites away from G Analytics too. 

I found this post particular helpful on whats available out there: http://www.onextrapi...ogle-analytics/

I'd be interested to know if anyone is using Piwik and what their experience has been

Edited by mrgoodfox, 06 August 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

I like StatCounter. It is very simple, like me.

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1931 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

No solution will give you G keywords used to get to your site.

perl=yuck, awstats=perl, ergo

#7 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

stat counter, I haven't been attached to google in any way for years now..I don't like free tools..there's a reason for those free tools.

And I comment you for kicking them to the curb..wait till you see the difference on your new site. ;)

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4455 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

http://piwik.org/features/list/

Open source.

Your data is yours and no one else's.
The code is yours to use and/or to hack to your heart's content.
Supportive community.

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Was just gonna recommend Piwik and there iamlost goes, beating me to the punch. :)

#10 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

OK, so why really do this? 

If you turn your back on Google will it actually help you to avoid current or future algorithmic or manual action? 

Will it somehow make your site better to not be with Google?

I want to know why people do this, and more importantly if it might somehow benefit me!

#11 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1931 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

I don't think he is turning his back completely on G. Notice G was never banned from indexing. He just wants his data in his control and not in someone's else computer. (GA)

Imagine one day an e-mail stating a fee for GA data. Could happen if G determines that "it's data" is worth a fortune to the person to whom it is relevant.

#12 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

If you turn your back on Google will it actually help you to avoid current or future algorithmic or manual action? 

I want to know why people do this, and more importantly if it might somehow benefit me!

There are a number of reasons. One can be the fact that you own your own historical data. What if Google decides to delete your data that is older than 2 years? Also, there is no reason to give all this free data to Google. I would rather not let google know where I'm getting my non-search-engine traffic from.

#13 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

No, I want the control back. No more looking over my back to Google.

Piwik looks great  cheers

#14 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Interesting.

http://piwik.org/blo...supports-piwik/ + http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-piwik/ and I could have it running with no problems ...... 

#15 pattanaik

pattanaik

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I have used GA and Clicky. When comparing the data of two websites where I have both Clicky and GA installed, I see that Clicky is more realistic. Especially the visitor information or the spy feature of Clicky is pretty useful along with its real-time feature.

I have tried to test the effect of removing Google Code entirely from a website to correlate any change in SERP rankings and traffic.
Unfortunately I got no co-relation. May be the dataset was too small. (just one website) 

Since many of you have suggested Piwik I will test it out too.

There is one feature that AWstats with cPanel has that no other Analytics software has. Hits. 
Awstats will give you the number of hits/resource. Which includes image files, JS, CSS etc. So, you can track where you are loosing bandwidth and solve bandwidth stealing problems if they ever arise.

#16 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

That was pretty easy. Now have Piwik on one of my blogs.

New site, so now need to wait for a visitor.

Ah, you need to install GeoIP if you want to know where people are coming from.

Edited by jonbey, 07 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#17 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1931 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Took a look at Piwik. I'm actually thinking of dumping GA and going this route. I only installed GA because everyone else is doing it so I wanted to learn what it was all about. I don't sell anything unless an Adsense click is called selling.

There is one thing I read, in this thread, that never clicked before. G already has all the referer info from traffic that comes from them. Now I am giving them info about how much traffic I get from the other guys too. (SEs, links, bookmarks, direct, etc) OUCH!

Deep inside I must have already known this but today it clicked. Or does having an Adsense unit give them that info anyway? Hmmm

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users