Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Aol Ceo Tim Armstrong Fires Employee! - Recording

ouch this aint bean bag search is a tough business good manners?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

AOL CEO Tim Armstrong Fires Employee! - Recording

This is what it looks like on the inside when a search engine is underperforming.  I suspect Armstrong doesn't like running investor earnings calls at times like these and this is the result of getting brutalized by the investors.

Here's an article with recording of Armstrong firing an employee about 2 mins into the conference call.

Here the recording where AOL CEO Tim Armstrong Fires an Employee around the 2 minute mark.

Related:

Layoffs Begin As AOL Looks To Close Or Sell 400 Patch Sites

Tony Robbins says a positive attitude and enthusiam are the number one reasons for success.  He also says it's impossible to be negative when you are "totally grateful" for your life conditions.

Can you think of anything to be grateful for today? :)

Edited by chuckfinley, 12 August 2013 - 03:46 PM.
sp

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1931 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Just to see your reaction I was going to say Google but I won't say Google and I didn't say Google.

Edited by bobbb, 12 August 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#3 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1340 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hyper local media websites are a tough nut.  It has not been easy to make a go of them.  Its quite possible that the sterling examples of success started tiny with no overhead, for various reasons gained excellent followings, and advertising revenues and slowly but surely built up.

One of them is in my region:   arlnow.com   There is a part of it that is a bit transparent.  You can scan stories off its front page and soon you'll hit stories with 1,000, 2,000 and several thousand views.  Each more or less representative of a day's traffic...maybe two or 3.  Its news.  It doesn't last long in the public eye.   Arlnow is one of those hyperlocal sites that has national acclaim.  It gets sufficient advertising and is making it work.

Arlnow expanded into a similar suburban region of DC with a second very similar looking hyper local media effort:  bethesdanow.com    Compare the views between the two sites and its remarkably different.  Arlnow;  established and known has 3,4, 5, 6-10 times the viewership per story.   Bethesdanow has been running for several months at least...maybe a  lot more.  It comes with a reputation from arlnow, a methodology that has worked....and in many ways has a similar demographic makeup.   But it is tiny by comparison.

Some others that have found success similarly started small with minimal/ barely minimal overhead.

OTOH:  Patch started with a lot of overhead and a lot of hires, and AOL's big name.    Lots of overhead.   Lots of overhead.   Its been running for several years.   In Arlington VA where it competes head on with Arlnow it gets smoked.    In so many cases it carries the same stories.   But it gets smoked.

It sounds like Armstrong is being a sh!thead to the employees ...but on the other side of the coin Patch has been losing a lot of money and carrying a lot of people for a couple of years.

Its not a great situation anyway you want to look at it.

I'm grateful I'm not working at Patch!!!!!

#4 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

It sounds like Armstrong is being a sh!thead to the employees ...but on the other side of the coin Patch has been losing a lot of money and carrying a lot of people for a couple of years.

Its not a great situation anyway you want to look at it.

I'm grateful I'm not working at Patch!!!!!

I thought you were going to say Armstrong is a number 2 head. I see you found the fix. :)

That's why I'm thankful every day to be an entrepreneur.

Just to see your reaction I was going to say Google but I won't say Google and I didn't say Google.

LOL! Now I was going to bring that up and ....... :D

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1340 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Armstrong Apologizes for the firing

http://www.nytimes.c...loyee.html?_r=0

I still think overall its a tough situation for the existing staff and a tough situation for AOL/Patch.  AOL addressed the opportunities for Hyper Local Media   (ie local blog oriented news sites) with a huge budget and staffing.   Of the hyper local media that have made it, they often seemed to have started with shoe string budgets...worked hard to attract readership and advertisers and then expanded.   

The volume of advertising that traditional print media have picked up is nowhere's near the volume that they had previously obtained via print.

I suspect a lot of journalists and other Patch employees will be looking for work following the end of this week.  Sad.

#6 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Armstrong didn't help himself or the company with that tirade.  The pressure got to him.

I just saw a graphic on the news today that said (don't hold me to these numbers) that print advertising is down $37 billion and on-line is up $34 billion or something close to that, you get the idea.  That's why the Washinton Post had to sell.  But, the offshoot is that there are a lot of people scrambling for those on-line ad $'s.  The pressure is tremendous.

That's why making a statement such as, find other channels and don't worry about g##### makes no sense -- the competition won't forget about g##### and they'll make all the other channels work for them too.  Soon you'll find yourself out of business.

#7 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1340 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

You never want to experience this ....

and frankly its not easy to read this when you are on the outside

http://www.businessi...er-email-2013-8

This is the kind of brutal environment you don't want to be part of.

I spoke with a Patch salesperson a while back.   Tough nut.  I've experienced value in hyper local media...but where I was looking at Patch...readership was too low and advertising was too expensive for us.

#8 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Ouch!

Life's brutal -- be safe out there today!

#9 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1340 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Here is another piece on this sad saga, which is also IMHO a poor business plan/ business execution from the top:

Its by techcrunch, also owned by AOL, but in my mind reads very fairly:  http://techcrunch.co...ntent-division/

#10 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

This is a quote from the TechCrunch article above --

According to AOL’s most recent financial report,
the Brand Group, of which Patch is a part, saw its OIBDA loss fall from
$15.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 to $1.4 million in the
second quarter of 2013. That’s a steep decline that places the Brand
Group — on a very non-GAAP basis — near to profitability.

If TechCrunch's estimates of cost savings on these shut downs are even remotely close, they will move AOL into the profitability column.  Tim Armstrong must be doing something right.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users