10 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Here is the article from Guardian on it: http://www.theguardi...ebsite-visitors

I tried to find a traffic history for Google to see how their traffic has changed in the last 5 years but i couldnt find a source. Anyone?

#2 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

So despite the fact many people use Google to get to Yahoo, Yahoo still had more traffic? I guess a lot of people still use Yahoo Mail? Does the traffic to Google include Maps, Translate etc.? I'd find this surprising if so, though I think Comscore are known for being quite accurate...

Looking at Google Trends, searches for Yahoo related terms has decreased since November 2012:

http://www.google.co...e, yahoo&cmpt=q

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2197 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

comScore's data only paints a partial picture, because it does not
include mobile phone usage, which now accounts for a significant amount
of Google traffic

I saw that in the news too.

I'd like to see how they computed those figures too.

Edited by bobbb, 22 August 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#4 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Bing would have been more believable, but Yahoo, I don't believe it either.

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1686 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

This piece of comscore data is independent of search.  It essentially has nothing to do with search.   I do recall seeing some market data several years ago that measured search traffic.  Google dominated by a huge number.   Yahoo and Bing trailed by an enormous amt.

This measures visits to sites.  I go to yahoo a fair amount.  I have an email acct there and I play fantasy football through yahoo.   During the Fall I'm at that yahoo acct an enormous amt of time and quite often.  During the fall I might well visit yahoo sites more often than google sites.   Yet I never search through yahoo.  Virtually never..  I do search through bing.  As little as I use bing for search.....I probably use Bing for search at least 50x as much as I might ever use Yahoo for search.  (what the heck is the difference.   They are both bing organic results   :D

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2197 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

I use Yahoo! too as a portal and e-mail but the article mentions "nearly 197 million individuals visited a Yahoo! website last month". If I read a lot of news today and every day I should still only count as 1. They must be counting unique IP's. Still impressive. They attribute that to chief executive Marissa Mayer, who was recruited from Google. Ouch!

What if an IP visits a number of Y assets. Those number don't count Tumblr "which came in as the 28th most popular site with 38 million visitors". So do they just add the number of all the assets? 38 mil for Tumblr, n mil for Flickr, etc.

Would still like to see what those numbers mean in detail.

#7 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:16 AM

Marissa Mayer is impressive.  I expect more big things from her.

#8 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yahoo Mail is crap though. I wrote a list of problems with it in the Yahoo Mail contact form, pressed send, and it took me to a 404 page. Well done Yahoo. If I hadn't been using Yahoo Mail for 10+ years I'd ditch it already but it'd be a pain to change all my contacts. I suppose I could access it through Gmail but I'd have to remember to log in to Yahoo occasionally. Anyway, I digressed...

#9 pattanaik

pattanaik

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

So If I read one news on yahoo and did 55 searches on google that would both be one visit right? 

What if I

read 1 news article the entire month on yahoo

logged in to yahoo mail once to delete the spam

and checked weather on ony of my favorite locan car rental company's website.

But in the same month I did

55*30 searches,

freaked out on G+ by posting 20 animated Gifs

sent 30*20 emails on google

does that mean three visitors on Yahoo and yet one visitor on Google? 
Even if its 1 visitor on google and 1 visitor on Yahoo its a pathetic comparison. 

#10 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1686 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

One of the things that market reports miss is a simple description of how many searches are performed on the SE's.  I consider the info that generated this article garbage info.  Evidently so do advertisers in general.  They pour lots more advertising money into google than they do to yahoo or bing.

It would be far more telling if the major market companies such as comcast, and those that spread these reports gave us data on volumes and market share of searches.

#11 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yes, the article took the stats that would make the headline...a very SEO thing to do :D

What I would like to see are Google search traffic numbers without the multitude of automated SEO queries counted... There are no site traffic numbers that I accept as 'real' without passing their log file results through a set of filters to remove automated and Mechanical Turk type scrape and data mine efforts. My sites all have quite different gross and net (filtered) traffic numbers. And the Googles and Yahoos of the web are likely a good bit worse.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users