5 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

http://insidesearch....h-policies.html

If you use Google all the time and have ideas about how we could provide a better Search experience for our users, we want your help. Send us your best Search policy suggestions by filling out this form. Your ideas could have a direct impact on Google. 

As part of the recently-launched How Search Works website, we published our Search policy principles and a list of detailed Search content policies for the first time. Our goal was to show users how we think about controversial content in Search while still promoting fast access to the world's information.

But we’re always looking to do better, and we’re curious to know what our users think. That’s why we’d love to see your ideas for improving our Search policies and processes. Should we alert users if we suspect that there's not much information on the web about their query? How should Google surface information that might affect a website's ranking? How should we deal with businesses that we believe may be hacked? Should we do something completely different to support our users? Anything related to how we serve content in search results or interact with users is fair game.

Now’s your chance to make an impact and have fun doing it, so put on your thinking hats. You can submit entries using this form. We’ll review all of the submissions and contact some of the best contributors to discuss their ideas. 

(i bolded some text)

Got a gripe? Now's your chance to lay it on thick!

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1538 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Oh baby!!!!

@Donna, and everyone else.   This reminds me of something:   A couple of years ago inside the google places forum, before they had a dedicated person to respond and a group of volunteer "top contributors" that would respond and alert google personnel to certain issues, it was a virtual "non response black hole".   Mike Blumenthal figured out via observation and trial and error, that google local had an internal algo to determine responsiveness to issues.   One was "cover your backside". (cya).   If a problem was so embarrassing or outrageous they would respond.   Alternatively if many commentators and people requiring assistance would bring up the same issue again and again google would respond.

Except, each problem and complaint was individual and new commentators or people with problems would only sometimes join in a specific problem thread.  Often there would be multiple threads with the same problem from many different people/sites/smbs.

Mike got people organized and everyone would join in on the same thread for the "problem", quirk, systemic mess up, du jour.   That would initiate a google response.  I suppose it was a form of "organized" crowd sourcing.

But it worked.  It did get google to focus on problems that were widespread.

So maybe we should put our heads together and crowd source some responses. 

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2490 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

Solicit input then do you own thing citing user interest!

#4 DCrx

DCrx

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1280 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

In the last week someone wrote and said “I want you to talk about SEO, and don’t give me any of that **** about good content.”

-- Matt Cutts; SEO Advice: Writing useful articles that readers will love

Edited by DCrx, 24 August 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#5 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

But it worked.  It did get google to focus on problems that were widespread.

So maybe we should put our heads together and crowd source some responses. 

Exactly.

http://insidesearch....h-policies.html

(i bolded some text)

Got a gripe? Now's your chance to lay it on thick!

Where's the Webmaster and SEO form?  Wonder why?

Edited by chuckfinley, 24 August 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

:)
That Google couldn't connect commonalities between their own threads was one of the touch points I used with my content - they really need to be carefully walked where one wants to take them and then told and retold (content and linked from content) because the algo really is just that stupid.

Please note that Google is NOT asking for feedback on what they are doing 'wrong' but rather what they can do 'better'. So, if you do take the opportunity to respond frame your comments with that in mind.

I treat this with the full respect due all who ask for feedback in the sense of promising to 'study' a situation. None whatsoever.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users