• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Google recently replaced its GA dashboard with a variety of new terms and charts.  Ohhhhhhhhhh boy.  More crummy info from GA replacing what is vital and important.

We now have channels and acquisitions and overviews and behaviors.  We don't have keyword data.

I like data and I like good data.  I liked how Rand worded a hypothetical conversation between an seo and client with the client suggesting spending time and money on social media while the seo urged him to continue to work on seo even with keyword data being hidden.

For our local smb sites search, intent, and keywords go hand in hand that lead to sales.   Some fairly big social media hits go with tons of traffic and bubkis in revenues.

It is not without some clever perspectives that google is filling GA with more and more sizzle and less and less steak.

my $0.02 rant for the day!!!!  :D

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Just out of curiosity, can you not some kind of usefulness out of webmaster tools, I see things there like top searches and top pages. Click a page and see what KW got there. Click on top KW and see landing page + position.

I know it's not like having it in the URL but it's something. It's long and the data is not really yours to play with. The top pages is a bit lame. Can't search/filter

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Had to do a search today to figure out that to see what phrases brought in traffic, i had to now go through Acquisitions. Stupid.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5186 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Google recently replaced its GA dashboard with a variety of new terms
and charts.  Ohhhhhhhhhh boy.  More crummy info from GA replacing what
is vital and important.

That's what happens when you have PhDs running things.  :)

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

That's what happens when you have PhDs running things.  :)

I don't think its that at all.   Once again I'll reference local with regard to these changes:   loss of keywords and now all this fancy shmancy worthless additional google bs.

Ever since google generated a "dashboard" for local businesses that claim a listing...they have generated a dashboard full of miserable misleading, worthless half cocked data.  

Among the data are 10 keywords that generated "maps" impressions plus possible actions  (actions equaled a visit to the site, the places page info or a request for directions.

only 10 keywords.   The keyword data truncates out all geo descriptive information.  You don't know the city or any other vital keyword data.  You don't know if the city name (if its part of the keyword, comes before or after the service/product.   You don't know if these "maps" impressions came from the first page of google or google maps or if a search phrase generated your business on a map...but you are buried on page 4,5,6 or 10 of G maps.

One fascinating thing about this "impression" info is you have no idea how big a geography the "local dashboard" covers.   

In sum its been long term purposeful lousy data.    

Google knows exactly which data is valuable...and it chooses to give out crummy data.  Its not an accident.  Its deliberate.

Now they are dancing with the same garbage in G Analytics.

Feed the serfs and peons gruel (and don't give them seconds).  One thing google realizes is it generate anything it wants with regard to webmasters and there will be no consequences.

#6 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Feed the serfs and peons gruel (and don't give them seconds).  One thing google realizes is it generate anything it wants with regard to webmasters and there will be no consequences.

One thing that has totally amazed and astounded me since I came to SEO space is the impunity with which g##### does it and the willingness of the players -- website owners and SEO's in this case -- to let to happen.

If they were doing this to CPA's or Attornies, we would inflict some serious pain for g##### in exchange.

#7 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

We should put earlpearl in charge of "tag design" for the forum.  Not sure they'd add a lot for SEO but the entertainment value would be very high! :)

Oh, and btw, I agree, LOL! :lol:

#8 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

If they were doing this to CPA's or Attornies, we would inflict some serious pain for g##### in exchange.

I would agree except, just like Goldman Sachs, everything they do is legal; their game, their data, their rules. There is no contract 'tween them and us. What they do sucks but......

Maybe, like in the EU, we can complain and get them, via our elected officials,  :lol: to not show our data as if it were theirs. eg  Word definitions from Miriam-Webster, our hot linked images, etc

Maybe we should start a support Bing/Yahoo campaign.

Another idea from the EU thing: Force all SEs to not show their properties on top of the organic. It's deceitful. They know the top 3 is what people click because they think they are the most relative "answers" except they are paid results that are purposefully coloured to be almost impossible to distinguish from organic. That smells like false advertising.

Edited by bobbb, 10 October 2013 - 06:13 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users