7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13453 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Oh geez.

Google is going to start using your beautiful face and your reviews, recommendations and endorsements in its advertisements, beginning November 11, the company announced today via changes to its Terms of Service. The New York Times explains that this will allow the company to show user review for restaurants, for instance, or the fact that you follow a brand page on Google+ in their display ads on the web, which reach around 1 billion users.

and 

You’re Not Just The Product, You’re The Ads (And Your Friends Should Thank You)  http://techcrunch.co...ake-ads-better/

Word of mouth, sponsored. Trusted recommendations, promoted. Reviews from friends, endorsed. This is the new lexicon of advertising. As the world learns to ignore traditional advertising online, tech giants have found a way to grab people’s attention: using your name, face, and words. Are we okay with that? Maybe we should be.

Edited by cre8pc, 11 October 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13453 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

How your Profile name and photo may appear (including in reviews and advertising)

We want to give you – and your friends and connections – the most useful information. Recommendations from people you know can really help. So your friends, family and others may see your Profile name and photo, and content like the reviews you share or the ads you +1’d. This only happens when you take an action (things like +1’ing, commenting or following) – and the only people who see it are the people you’ve chosen to share that content with. On Google, you’re in control of what you share. This update to our Terms of Service doesn’t change in any way who you’ve shared things with in the past or your ability to control who you want to share things with in the future.

Feedback from people you know can save you time and improve results for you and your friends across all Google services, including Search, Maps, Play and in advertising. For example, your friends might see that you rated an album 4 stars on the band’s Google Play page. And the +1 you gave your favorite local bakery could be included in an ad that the bakery runs through Google. We call these recommendations shared endorsements and you can learn more about them here.

When it comes to shared endorsements in ads, you can control the use of your Profile name and photo via the Shared Endorsements setting. If you turn the setting to “off,” your Profile name and photo will not show up on that ad for your favorite bakery or any other ads. This setting only applies to use in ads, and doesn’t change whether your Profile name or photo may be used in other places such as Google Play.

If you previously told Google that you did not want your +1’s to appear in ads, then of course we’ll continue to respect that choice as a part of this updated setting. For users under 18, their actions won’t appear in shared endorsements in ads and certain other contexts.

For greater control over your experience with ads on Google, you can also use Google’s Ads Settings tool to manage ads you see. Learn more.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Are they picking roses or are they going to show the onions too?

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1522 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

screw that.  I have to turn it all off.   They are already yanking my chain enuff

This is where the f bombs would normally come flying.

Edited by earlpearl, 11 October 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

And Google go where Facebook previously stumbled...

They really really are lost in social. Of course opt-out is the friendly social data platform way...NOT. They can't even learn from others' mistakes...so so sad. Why do so many of the social media platforms exhibit aspergers symptoms? That is a rhetorical question by the way...

#6 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1522 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I am going to opt out now.  It appears this will be one more way google will push ads.  The bonus of adding people's names and faces in a more obvious way will spur sales.  

I am extremely happy to tell my friends about a service I enjoy.  I will also refer business for a refund or payment.  I do either willingly.  I do it lots more gratis than for payment.  

I always do it knowingly.  I never do it unknowingly.  This would have google using my name or face every time without my knowing it.  It would use a set in stone reference from the past, wherein my perspective could have changed.  It would be totally out of my control.

google would do it to make money.  They couldn't give a rat's @ss about the quality of the referral the relationship or any other aspect of the referral.  There have been recent cases where college athletes have sued the NCAA and other entities when the NCAA used their likenesses to sell merchandise.  Additionally while terms of service such as google's usage are legal protections for google to proceed on this basis such agreements have been challenged in court cases and been defeated at times.  You better have good and expensive attorney's to do so though.   Ultimately the legal defense of this process can still be argued and beaten as an inappropriate contract wherein the huge entity, google, establishes an unfair contractural arrangement with unknowing individuals.

Imagine the problems should somebody purchase something to which your name and face are unknowingly connected via google.  The buyer ends up deeply unhappy, harmed or whatever and sues the parties to the sale.  They sue the seller, they sue google and they sue you.  You are completely unaware your face and name were used relative to the purchase.

Its beyond creepy.  But currently google is a big monopoly that manages to get away with any action they take in the States.  

MY $0.02 for the day!!!   :D

update.  I turned off the shared info setting.  I turned it off on some accounts I manage.  I don't want smb's sued unknowingly either.  All I can suggest is that its not idiot proof.  Some users won't get it.  Moreover in this effort by google to ultimately boost its ad revenues they plant a seed to encourage you to not turn off the shared endorsement setting.  

Its a deeply one sided change in which the huge monopoly is imposing changes on a a mostly unknowing public.   Problems will arise.

Edited by earlpearl, 12 October 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#7 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9002 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

The normal logic given policies on other matters such as e-mail suggest that Google should have instituted this with the default being that you are not opted in to this. Of course if they did that, no one would sign up for it.  Do No Evil indeed.  Google is showing its dark underside now. :(

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1522 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

The normal logic given policies on other matters such as e-mail suggest that Google should have instituted this with the default being that you are not opted in to this. Of course if they did that, no one would sign up for it.  Do No Evil indeed.  Google is showing its dark underside now. :(

It is as a result of some of my more recent interactions with google that the last straw on the camel's back has been reached in my case.  I have no illusions though.  I am small and they are big-> huge-> in fact a monopolistic entity when it comes to search.

It is ironic to me that having ultimately stripped all organic keywords from being delivered to websites in the name of "privacy" they just made a policy change that infringes on privacy.   They can now show your G+ persona and reviews on ads without your knowing it.   That is a significant infringement of privacy.  

I run some smb g+ accounts.   In some cases I'm involved and I'm the decision maker.  In others I'm a minority decision maker.  In the cases where other's are the majority I informed them of the policy change.    

A)  None of them were aware of the change.  

B)  While google sent out emails to g+ owners    not everyone reads their email.  

C) As Barry referenced the default change opted everyone in to this change

D) In every case the smb principal did not want to be opted in.   I didn't on the ones I control.  None of the other principals wanted to opt in for this change.   They have all been changed.

To me its another case wherein this monopoly is using its advantage to manipulate a public that to a large level is unaware of the consequences and in the same breath no larger entity is requiring them to be responsible for their actions.

But I (we) are small and they are big.

....GO  EEC  whomp google upside the head.   ;) 

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users