Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Domain Change - Redirect Of Old Domain Has A Penalty?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pete

Pete

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

I recently noticed on a domain I had purchased (second hand) there are a lot of spammy inbound links which I did not check for before purchasing the domain a couple of years back. At the time i was not aware of the problems with such links.

This site has not had a manual penalty though I suspect there is now an algorythm penalty, and if not it is in danger of getting one. The links are difficult to remove, e.g. many sites in Russian and Chinese.

I decided to start again with a new domain name and not redirect to the new site, but I saw a couple of articles, e.g. this one, whereby people had got benefit from redirecting a penalised domain into a new one.

From what I can tell vie Webmaster tools and majestic, all the inbound links are spam apart from a couple of nofollow from my own sites.

Any thoughts?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5519 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

I have at least twice read Marie Haynes say that she believes that redirecting a domain to escape a penalty can cause a temporary lift in rankings.  But.... after the new site has been evaluated by the Penguin algo the rankings hit occurs.  The links now point to the new domain.

If I had a penalized domain that I didn't want to clean up I would sell it to a competitor.  :lol:

Edited by EGOL, 14 October 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#3 Pete

Pete

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

I have at least twice read Marie Haynes say that she believes that redirecting a domain to escape a penalty can cause a temporary lift in rankings.  But.... after the new site has been evaluated by the Penguin algo the rankings hit occurs.

Yes, that is what I imagine may well happen. It sounds pretty risky to me as all those spammy links will obviously still be spammy when redirected.

One thing that is potentially embarrassing is that some of the spam from the domain is on a competitors blog comments. The typical "yes I agree, this is a very good and interesting post, I'm glad I found this site" type comments.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5519 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

That's  too bad.... so they will make it look like you hired a fidiot to build links for you.

#5 Pete

Pete

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

That's  too bad.... so they will make it look like you hired a fidiot to build links for you.

But at least I now know to think twice before buying an existing domain.

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2235 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Just wondering if it would be possible to build a filter to only let through, to the new site, just the links you want and 404 the rest... and would it be worth the time or do any good.

#7 Pete

Pete

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Just wondering if it would be possible to build a filter to only let through, to the new site, just the links you want and 404 the rest... and would it be worth the time or do any good.

Yes, I would just have  individual 301 redirects. I think that is the way to go, but it means I have to make sure I can find all the worthwhile ones.presumably if Webmaster Tools or majestic SEO doesn't find them, they aren't worth worrying about.

#8 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2235 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Or do it the other way. 404 all then let through the ones you like. Guess that means keeping eyes on your logs

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users