Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hey,

I ran across this article:

http://moz.com/blog/what-scares-google

I thought it was an interesting read, among other things it puts a slightly different perspective/spin on why Google is doing things like the local carosel and knowledge graph. 

Personally, I think ads are going to end up to killing Google. 

Anyway . . . interesting read.

Walter

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for surfacing that, Walter.  I think Peter is spot on and there are no obvious solutions for Google.  I guess that's small comfort for those who have been damaged as we have all surfed the Google tsunami.

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

DrPete misses the point - G is an ad network. Therefore getting any revenue elsewhere is a plus but the reliance on ad revenue is not a negative. It is the business model.

Yes, the list covers things that impact ad revenue both directly and indirectly but nothing that - at the moment - look even close to dislodging G's online ad network dominance. A couple could impact revenue growth and so share price but not market share.

The real scary monster just came out from under G's bed: Rockstar goes nuclear. Google's underlying mobile strategy is under attack.

Edited by iamlost, 02 November 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1542 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm of the impression that the average revenue per click is a false metric created by google to throw off both financial analysts and ultimately the governments in ultimately coming down on google's monopoly on search.   It gives them an argument against anyone coming down on their enormous monopoly on search.   

Every quarter, quarter after quarter, year after year their ad revenues go up.   It costs them bubkis for every new click.   Once set up it doesn't matter.  It could be a new click on a new ad in a new category that makes them $0.06 or it could be a click on an ad by a personal injury attorney competing for the most aggressive terms at $hundreds of dollars per click.  Each time a new ad campaign starts it pushes up revenues and once going it has virtually no impact on costs.   

We've been running local smb adwords campaigns since May 2005.  I just looked at the longest running campaign.  I looked at two telling phrases.  One is exact match.   It only shows when the exact term is used.  Its been running in the same geographical region for over 8 years.   Our average cost per click on that phrase is 3x what it was in 2005.

Then I looked at a broad term phrase.  That means if that exact term shows or if terms "google deems" similar" for various searches  (again its all local).  In the first year that "term" or terms close to it generated 1300 impressions.   In the last year (12 month period) it generated 47,000 impressions.   In the first 12 months that broad phrase match generated 150 paid clicks.  In the most recent 12 months it generated about 540 clicks.   

From 1300 impressions to 47,000 impressions.  WTF.  What occurred?   Google never told us.  That is one thing we all know!!!!

Every time the use of that phrase generates an impression it impacts the other ads in that list.   Ultimately it pushes up the cost of the ads.  its a bid system.  Adding more advertisers pushes up cost per click...and google is adding advertisers galore.

I believe it would be far more telling if google generated a stat that everyone could see as to total impressions shown.   That would be a metric more in line with print metrics on total ad pages.   It would be incredibly more telling.

We don't get that stat.  Nobody gets it.  Nobody knows how many times google shows ads.  But google knows.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

earlpearl :)

Google has never given a full metric. And many that they do are stats for stats sake and not particularly useful. Disclaimer: I have never participated in AdWords but if I did one data set that I'd consider critical is every site on which my ad is shown. Given my experience with the AdSense ads (which I have to mine as G does not share) that are shown on my sites there are times when broad match is broadened to the and past any logical limit. Frankly, I'd rather PSAs than ads so far off topic. Retargeting is possible in some but when the swings are so massive and so singular in ad category/topic not a sustainable excuse.

#6 WPMuse

WPMuse

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

"If your entire business is built on Google, you're riding a wave that's eventually going to crash into the shore. It may be because Google changes the rules, or it may be because they fail, but you've built your future on something you absolutely can't control."

Can, I get an "Amen"?! ;)

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5364 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

Frankly, I'd rather PSAs than ads so far off topic.

I make a lot of money from the "far off topic" ads.  

Around election time the candidates are competiting for space on my site (I agree that these can be kinda nasty - but they pay awfully good)...  when a big new movie is coming out they take over the best spaces (I am surprised at how much these pay)...  at tax time the tax preparers and tax software people are competing for space... in January the vitamin, weight loss and fitness people are blasting their ads.   

These off-topic ads give me some of my best income days.   Election time is really good, when the deep pockets people are throwing money as hard as they can.

Lots of these ads are "site targeted" adwords.   

Edited by EGOL, 02 November 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#8 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2009 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Election time is really good, when the deep pockets people are throwing money as hard as they can

This is kind of funny although it should not.

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2009 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

The only reason I mentioned this is that today, in the province of Quebec, this is election day for all municipalities and I've seen more flyers from more people I don't know in the last 2 weeks and I'm sure in 2 days I will never hear of them again. :)

#10 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1542 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

ha ha.

EGOL:  It appears your political perspective should be unlimited political expenditures on all topics all the time.   Got a school board issue in Podunk that is up for a vote....bring in the billionaires to spend like there is no tomorrow!!!!   ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users