• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

If you go into your Adsense account and follow this path (using the old homepage)....

HOME  >>  Account Settings  >>  Access and Authorization  >>  Sites authorized to show ads

You might see a few spammer sites who have scraped your pages and published ads with your publisher number.

There are over 100 unauthorized sites showing my ads.  Guess who about 98% of them are owned by????  

www.google.xx and www.google.co.xx  and translate.google.co.xx  and translate.google.xx

They are listed under....

Sites that you don't authorize, and place your ad code on, will still show ads, but won't generate any earnings.

So, why is google showing my ads?  They are probably showing yours too if you go into your adsense account and look.

And, why are we not being paid?

What happens if we "authorize" these sites.  Will we get paid or will they ban our account for publishin' ads on their domains?

Anybody know?

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4628 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

It is a 'feature' :)

My Owned sites list includes sites I don't own

The reason why your Owned sites list may contain sites that you don’t own is because of the link between the Site management and Authorized sites features:

Or in other words there is a fly (NOT a bug!!!) in the congruence of two Phd engineered benefits...

And, no, I don't think it wise to claim ownership or control of Google or YouTube. :D

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like those PhDs are workin' in silos. 

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

I authorise all Google domains, IPs too. I assume it is cached viewing and translation mostly. Not sure if they really account for much though.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4628 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

:)

I don't allow Google to cache my pages, and block both translate and transcoder.

However, it may be that Jon is doing things right...

My reports include sites I don't manage

Sites that serve the contents of your site from their own domain. For example, Google cached search results and Google Translate may retrieve your content, then serve it from a Google domain, without iframes (in this case the content is shown through webcache.googleusercontent.com and translate.googleusercontent.com). You can authorize some of these sites that you trust to display ads.

I'm not about to change my anti-Google scraping stance though...

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Sites that serve the contents of your site from their own domain. For example, Google cached search results and Google Translate may retrieve your content, then serve it from a Google domain, without iframes (in this case the content is shown through webcache.googleusercontent.com and  translate.googleusercontent.com). You can authorize some of these sites that you trust to display ads.

Why are we not being paid for clicks on the ads in Google Cache and Translate?  The ads have our code embedded within them.

Google has every ability to pay us for those ads.  It could probably be done with one line of code.     If domain = *.google* then pay

I honestly find it insulting that we should have to "authorize" those ads.

Edited by EGOL, 02 December 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

If you chose to whitelist domains, only domains that have been whitelisted will pay.

Did you whitelist?

My whitelist includes:

google.co.id
google.co.in
google.co.uk
google.com.au
google.com.bo
google.com.br
google.com.sg
google.it
google.pt
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
images.google.ie
images.google.jo
images.search.yahoo.com
translate.google.co.kr
translate.google.com.mx
translate.googleusercontent.com
www.google.ca
www.google.co.kr
www.google.co.nz
www.google.com.mx
www.google.com.my
www.google.com.ph
www.google.com.pk
www.google.com.sa
www.google.com.tr
www.google.com.tw
www.google.de
www.google.es
www.google.fr
www.google.rs

If a Google domain is reported as showing my ads, I add it.

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

I just authorized 95 *.google* domains to display my ads.

#9 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1621 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Fascinating discussion.  I don't run adsense so I'm ignorant on its methods and applications.  From the above discussion it would appear that google is free to copy your content and run ads as it relates to internet law, and that it set the default to NOT authorize this practice.   One must opt in to get the benefit.

How snarky, IMHO.   Google runs your content elsewhere, takes the ad revenue and doesn't share it with you unless you are enlightened enough to pay attention to every little detail they throw at you.

....and still one more way for the big beast of a monopoly to make more money...by taking advantage of its monopoly presence and sneaky moves facilitated by a law that never conceived of such a monopoly.   

#10 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2104 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

How snarky, IMHO.   Google runs your content elsewhere, takes the ad revenue and doesn't share it with you unless you are enlightened enough to pay attention to every little detail they throw at you. 

I did not know this. I was set to the default all so I guess this like an opt-in. This probably means I am subject to click bombing.

Then EGOL did you have the the site feature turned on with only your sites authorised?

You know that in a way this could tell you who is running your stuff... but I imagine real scrapers remove you code and insert theirs

#11 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Then EGOL did you have the the site feature turned on with only your sites authorised?

Several years ago I got a warning from Google that my ads were on a site with inappropriate content.  That motivated me to make a white list of sites that could display my ads.

When I made that whitelist I included domains that I would trust but that were showing my ads in cached or image search format.  This included sites like bing, yahoo, ask, etc.

A couple years ago I got another warning that my ads were on a page on one of these whitelist domains was showing my ads along side of inappropriate content.

Being concerned about that I made a white list that included only my own sites.

Then recently I get a notice from google that my ads are being shown on over 100 unauthorized domains.  That is when I see 95 *.google.* domains are displaying my ads and I am not being paid.

So, I have now authorized those domains.  However, I think that google should have been payin' me if I authorize their domains or not.  They should have no problem knowing who those ads belong to and should not be keepin' the money.  

I would not treat my partners like that.

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1621 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

I would not treat my partners like that.

the relationship w/ google is not that of equal partners.  They are big.   The rest of us are small.  

People who "partnered" with George Steinbrenner, when he first purchased the NY Yankees discovered that a long time ago.  He was the boss.  They were ....something far less.

#13 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Webmasters are not partners, they are disposable income.

Plenty more webmasters in the sea for google, annoy one, they leave, and two more will take the place of them.

All that matters to google keeping shareholders happy, all that matters to shareholders is short term profit.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users