• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1715 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

(I know there is another thread that covers this issue, but I couldn't find it.  Mods/Admins:   Feel free to move this post to that thread at your discretion)

I just took a call from a google adwords "advisor".   I've been doing this for a while for various accounts.  I like it.

Here is why.

I cannot follow everything that goes on with google.  I find it impossible.  There are too many changes on too many topics.  I try to focus on issues that are of importance to our sites.  

Adwords is an issue where I miss a lot of information.   All these changes and updates are probably covered somewhere...but I don't have the time or inclination to follow every topic.  

I miss endless issues on endless topics.  I know a lot of stuff about the ever changing status of Local Google, but clearly not everything.  In fact, by example I got a call from a friend today.   He is about to pick up a professional client and this person's websites.  The potential client has a presence in two sites.  One is for his own professional practice.   In the other he is part of a larger practice.

The question was posed:   Can a professional show independently in Google Maps?   ie if you are Joe Schmoe a lawyer in the firm of Schmoe Larry and Curley, and you practice divorce law, can you have two presences in G Maps?  one as part of the firm and one as an individual.

My response was "I don't know, Right now"   The reason right now is emphasized is because Google Local/Maps/Google Local + (whatever you wish to call it) has completely reversed itself on that issue.   At times they prevented an individual from having a direct presence if he/she was part of a firm.   Then they reversed themselves on that issue...180 degrees.   

Where are they now on that issue?  I don't know.  I'd have to look it up. I don't have those clients right now.

Google has a million rules and terms and techniques on a 100 products.   I simply can't keep track of them all.

Getting Help is one of the ways to keep current.   I find it easier to follow through this method than keeping in touch with every issue and every comment every day on a myriad of topics.

Today we went over some details with regard to adwords.

For those that run ads.   When you fill out data with the content.  The first line includes your ad title.   The 2nd and third lines have content with a limited number of characters.   If you put a period at the end of the 2nd line of content.  It shows with the title.  Giving your ad presence more oomph and a potentially more complete message.

Its because of a PERIOD.  I didn't know that.  the google rep emailed me references to each topic.  Now I can go back to the sources in that voluminous lists of rules and terms and suggestions and go back over the specifics of suggestions.

I find it to be a good practice.   Now I could take courses...and I have done that at times.   But this process works for me.

The advisor suggested some things I nixed for different reasons.  You don't have to buy into everything they suggest.  You have to be knowledgeable enough to pick and choose from among their suggestions.   Some I'll think about some more.  Again she emailed me on every topic.  I can go back and review them in greater depth and put more thought into some things on which I couldn't decide whether to implement them or not.

With regard to adwords I was able to pinpoint an issue I've raised in this forum in different threads.   Its the massive encroachment over time of the amount of places one's ads are shown.

Elsewhere in this forum I documented how with one account basic amts of impressions wherein our ads are shown have increased by about 4 fold over a 5 or 6 year period.   This has occurred with only marginal growth in clicks.  It has also grown with google basically not giving us data on all these impressions and all the phrases for which our various terms are shown.

I believe that is an insidious way to push up the actual bid and costs per clicks.   Anyway I took her to a review of our data for this smb.   Of the impression data google was only presenting us with detailed information on about 25% of the impressions.   Then there were the clicks.  About 95% of the clicks were associated with the 25% of the impressions they were giving us impression data on.   Adwords didn't give us the keyword data on abt 5% of the clicks.  ( I can check that thru analytics).

She didn't give me an answer on this.  She said she would have to review it and get response.   maybe that part is true...maybe not.   I'm pretty sure its part of google's mechanisms to increase overall adwords.....but that is another story.   We'll see what her response is.

Its quite telling, but not surprising.  Google gives far far far more assistance and specifics on its money products:   Adwords...than on so many other aspects of its vast array and control of search.

Do you think one could get this quality of assistance in google local/maps/google + local (whatever its called these days).   N.E.V.E.R.   

In sum though, I find this information to be helpful.   I suppose if I was an expert and totally up to date on adwords I wouldn't need it...but I'm not at that stage...and these help sessions have been very productive in my case.

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1715 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Little update.    We had reason today to blast a new adwords message for one of our smbs.   We are blasting this message in other ways also and have changed some landing page items to reinforce the message.

I used one of the techniques I learned YESTERDAY from the free advisory assistance.   I hope it works.    We have a new powerful call to action ad.   I suspect our adwords costs will go up.  OTOH, in other similar cases with this vertical the call to action message and process has been danged successful and our long term roi off of adwords has been excellent.

The assistance should help.   We'll see.  I do suspect we'll spend more on adwords.  Fingers are crossed that we make MORE.   We'll see.    The ad is definitely better and more visible.

If only goo-ogle would give this kind of assistance and response on other services/prodcuts.----

yeah right.  fat chance.  :D

#3 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

I find that some of the advice they give is just to increase the amount of money they're making, but on the whole I find these calls very useful. As you say, it's a great way to keep up to date with the latest features, and as long as you don't blindly implement all of the suggestions given - and have a think about how it may or may not benefit you, they're really helpful.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1715 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

@TheAlex:   I find it incredibly difficult to stay abreast of all the changes across the board.  The best way to describe this is via the things I don't know.  

I have invested far more time in following changes in google local than any other aspect.   yet I can't keep track of that.  In the last 2 weeks the following has occurred:

1.  Somebody asked me if one could have two or more maps records for a professional NOW.  I didn't know. Its because google has completely reversed itself on that policy for professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc.).   what is the policy now?  yes or no?   Since google has promoted both policies at various times its vital to see where they stand today.  Difficult to follow.

2.  Editing records in google local/mapmaker.   I made some changes on behalf of a series of smbs recently and kept 4 active "local seo's" who are well known or fairly well known for publishing informed of progress, plus included one extremely helpful MapMaker expert involved in the process.  I opened the door for comments.

I would say that our information and knowledge were not consistent and that which I discovered on some recent efforts were news to more than me.

With all that time spent in just that one area, buttressed by actual time spent working on the process and sharing information its difficult to spend time elsewhere.   

I often need the help.   On a tangential issue I pretty regularly attend local seo meetups in my region.  I envy those folks that come from larger agencies.  They have a ppc expert, an expert in this topic and that topic and are incredibly up to date.   I just can't do that.

#5 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm in the same boat. I can definitely see the advantages of working in an agency or with a group of other SEOs one day. But there's so much to know that there's no shame in not knowing or remembering something - it's usually possible to find the info you need online...except with some of those Google changes you mentioned. It's very frustrating when the only information that seems to be provided by them is out of date, or they have conflicting statements on different pages, one or more of which isn't dated. To me this is possibly their biggest failing - until recently I still thought Google considered subdomains as a separate site, when this hasn't been the case for over 2 years.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users