• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WPMuse

WPMuse

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

So I have a terrible cold and am just wasting time looking through the usual newsletters counting the minutes until I can have my first honey and bourbon hot tea and I read this:

http://searchenginel...surprise-179586

Made me laugh until I almost coughed up a lung.  Quitting time!

While "accurate", it seems g##### still has some work to do figuring out intent... :o

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Looks like google got rid of it already. 

:o

#3 margoupson

margoupson

Runs With Social Talking Stick

• Social Hostess
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm being good and leaving out a really bad pun. You're welcome.  :P

The Urban Dictionary result is now in the third spot on the second page when I search for it. There's also a mixed drink called a pearl necklace-- strawberry cream liqueur and Baileys. It's also a variety of beer (oyster stout) by Flying Dog Brewery, and there's only one more adult result in the first three pages (no lewd details in the snippet for that one, though). Other than that, it's all jewelry sales. 

I'm procrastinating on getting real work done, can you tell? 

Edited by margoupson, 11 December 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#4 WPMuse

WPMuse

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

You can still see what I saw in the SEL article.

Isn't that interesting?

At the busiest shopping time of the year when most folks are looking to *purchase* pearl necklaces the definition that was listed first is a 180 from that intent (and should have been considered adult content) and then when word gets out, g##### removes that result.  So if the unintended consequences or collateral damage reflects negatively on g##### we are on that pronto!  But a small Mom and Pop sent to page 50 for reasons unknown -- deal with it. 

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

If I search for pearl necklaces the UrbanD page must have been removed by Google.. but I see other adult content pages... on page three there is a listing from cosmopolitan.com and another that has a description tag of ADULTS OVER 21...

So, if they are cleaning these SERPs they still have work to do.

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1931 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

The article states this:

This does not come up on the first page when searching on Bing

Which kinda implies that Bing is better and I say baloney because Bing results are not all that good overall (I wish they were better because I made them my default). For this once they "looked good".

#7 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1339 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

funny.   If not for this thread I would have had no idea of the "urban dictionary" and slang meaning for pearl necklace.

thanks for contributing to my education.

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5174 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

thanks for contributing to my education

Earl, you should go read a few definitions from the urban dictionary every day until your education is complete.   Let us know what you find.

#9 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1339 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Earl, you should go read a few definitions from the urban dictionary every day until your education is complete.   Let us know what you find.

I've done that over time.   These terms are way too modern for me, but I enjoy catching up with them.  

I'd fill you in on them, EGOL, but most of what I've learned would not be described as family friendly.

#10 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1339 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

hey EGOL:   my paternal grandmother's family name was in urban dictionary a while back.   The meaning in urban dictionary was something like pearl necklace.   Not exactly a nice description.

The thing must be a wiki with people submitting "definitions" to words.   

I had checked into it.  Its a rare last name.  Not a lot of males out there with that name.  It turns out I have 2nd cousins with some kids in one city.  Some young turkeys chose to use that last name and describe it in "pearl necklace" terminology...and submitted it to urban dictionary.

But its not there anymore.  It appears the term never gained popularity.   urban dictionary has dropped it.

and for that I'm glad.  ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users