7 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4455 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Heee.
Over at SEOChat KernelPanic just made my Boxing Day. :)
Back on 02-December JoeHall aka Joe Hall (yes, a space makes all the difference :D), Senior Marketing Analyst at Internet Marketing Ninjas posted:

Over the years I have come to realize that cheap SEO services don't exist. Or at least "good" cheap SEO services don't. How would you design a SEO budget on $500?

To which KernelPanic replied (thread post #4):

SEO does not cost money. If it does they are not doing it right.

which EVERYONE ignored inducing him to repeat it in thread post #17:

I'll say it again: "SEO does not cost money, if it does you hired the wrong company"

Truly awesome.

Once again it went uncommented and the thread went off topic.

The three 'wise' monkeys (Note: common term usage, not the original meaning) of SEO are alive and well.

Edited by iamlost, 26 December 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

That is a great comment by KP.

Too bad it didn't go anywhere.

Five years ago, it was easy to hire the "right company" - if the only metric you were using was "making enough additional money to cover the costs".

Today, I think that it is a lot harder to find that "right company".

<just sayin'> When I respond on forums to SEO questions, I usually say how I would do the job if I owned the OP's website.   Based upon the number of thumbs down and arguments that I get, I think that I would starve if I was in the business of selling SEO services.

I think that people don't like my methods because a lot of work is required today and that work does not recover costs until a couple to a few years down the road. People in the SEO business can't sell that type of product, and people working for themselves don't want to do the work required or wait for the results.

So, for that reason, I don't think that I am helping very many people... so my motivation for posting in forums is at an all time low - unless the topic (in my mind) has high entertainment value. 

And, I recently started doing something else with a lot of the time that I used to spend in forums. </just sayin'>

Edited by EGOL, 26 December 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

I think that people don't like my methods because a lot of work is required today and that work does not recover costs until a couple to a few years down the road. People in the SEO business can't sell that type of product, and people working for themselves don't want to do the work required or wait for the results.

That's pretty much been my experience lately. Clients don't want to do the work required. Give them great suggestions, and they want "push-button" solutions instead. (Well, I do have one great client who is happy to do the work required). ;)

But yeah, it's frustrating.

#4 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

It's a good comment, but about the original $500 that was mooted - it can make a big difference in many situations. There are plenty of websites that have some quick easy wins that when fixed will benefit the website long-term. A small local business with a 20-page website with duplicate title tags and meta data for example, which might have loads of other easy fixes. The more competitive the organic space and the better the original website is SEO-wise, the less that $500 will do.

I think that I would starve if I was in the business of selling SEO services.

So, for that reason, I don't think that I am helping very many people... so my motivation for posting in forums is at an all time low - unless the topic (in my mind) has high entertainment value. 

And, I recently started doing something else with a lot of the time that I used to spend in forums.

You'd make loads of money!

There are many people out there who think your comments are awesome; it's always those who disagree with something who are more likely to voice their opinion and show their displeasure. It's their loss anyway, at least you've found something else to do with your time.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

You'd make loads of money!

Thanks Alex!  I appreciate that.

#6 WPMuse

WPMuse

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

"I don't want to pay much but I do want to be number one of Google for <insert incredibly generic terms here>."  ...the last inquiry I declined.

While I share my own experiences with clients based on what I do for my own sites, I don't "sell" SEO services any longer.  I do think there is money to be made -- but just am burned out after over a decade of trying to make it work with clients that don't want to embrace the reality of time and costs (regardless of eventual ROI).  I don't want the responsibility that is thrown at me for things I recommend that are not followed, or be on the defense and have to justify and explain the cacophony of "experts" out there that conflict with my advice. 

I have since dubbed Queen's "I Want it All' the song for those who "want SEO done" which goes in part:

Listen all you people, come gather round
I gotta get me a game plan, gotta shake you to the ground
But just give me, huh, what I know is mine
People do you hear me, just gimme the sign
It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth

I want it all (give it all - I want it all)
I want it all (yeah)
I want it all and I want it now

Fork done.  :D

#7 margoupson

margoupson

Runs With Social Talking Stick

• Social Hostess
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

That's pretty much been my experience lately. Clients don't want to do the work required. Give them great suggestions, and they want "push-button" solutions instead. (Well, I do have one great client who is happy to do the work required). ;)

But yeah, it's frustrating.

This.

I don't think it's just in SEO (although I do see a lot of it there, too). Too many people are buying into the idea that if they just use a few 'quick success' techniques, their website, business, what-have-you is going to be wildly popular, or rank really well, or be otherwise successful. I've had too many clients order blog posts, hit the publish button, maybe post the link once on their social media sites, and...that's it. And then they get discouraged that things aren't going as well as they'd hoped. They don't realize that it takes more than a blog post, or some simple SEO, or few tweets, 

I think that people have forgotten that running a successful website is work. SEO is a technique; a tool. You can either create something cheap, quick, and easy (the equivalent of a cardboard birdhouse held together with glue), or you can invest in the process and end up with something that is actually worth having. 

#8 WPMuse

WPMuse

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

I think that people have forgotten that running a successful website is work. SEO is a technique; a tool. You can either create something cheap,
quick, and easy (the equivalent of a cardboard birdhouse held together with glue), or you can invest in the process and end up with something
that is actually worth having.

I'm deja vu'ing  back to the early 90s when everyone was a "webmaster" or "web designer" because they had FrontPage!  Slap'er up and watch the bucks roll in! Guess we've come full circle!  ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users