• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

I was reading SearchEngineLand's Top 10 Columns Of 2013, which lead me to reread Eric Ward's How Will Google Hummingbird Impact Links?, 08-October-2013. One quote in his article resonates much more now than when first read in the original AP story:
Note: I've expanded on what Eric quoted.

...people have become so reliant on Google that they now routinely enter lengthy questions into the search box instead of just a few words related to specific topics.

With the advent of smartphones and Google's voice-recognition technology, people also are increasingly submitting search requests in sequences of spoken sentences that resemble an ongoing conversation. That trend also factored into Google's decision to hatch Hummingbird.

Eric picked up what I missed but which appears from my Google traffic to be quite accurate. You can read his 'clues' for yourself. What I'm sharing is some analytics from my sites.
Note: comparisons are pre-mid Sept (pre-Hummingbird) and after.
* device breakout: 88->71% desktop/laptop; 10->23% tablet; 2->6% smartphone.
Note: numbers are rounded averages across all sites, 01 Jan-25 Sep, 26 Sep-noon 31 Dec.
Note: my sites' content being evergreen information there is little obvious 'local' draw.

* the pages seeing the greatest growth in Google search referred traffic ARE those with headings (h2-h6) that ask questions.
* 80% of that increase is smartphone and tablet.

I was certainly fortunate that I have a good many headings written as questions. No, I'm refraining from rewriting others. Not everyone is asking questions, I'm not chasing the algo. What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts; it's six of one and half a dozen of the other...

However, if I was heavy into Local and especially seeing smartphone referrers increasing I would be researching which questions ARE being asked by my audience that I have or should be addressing and test with and without headings as questions and follow-on content as answers.

Has anyone else noticed this either for or against?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

If I look at 365 day traffic graphs for different browsers, operating systems and hardware devices I see....

... on information sites: a plateau from academic traffic that begins in early September and begins to decline shortly before Thanksgiving.  That is the normal trend caused by the start of school.

... on retail sites with a library of product-related content:  a steady build in traffic starting in late September that peaks a week before Christmas and then surges again immediately after Christmas.  That is normal Santa and elves traffic.

... my bet is that hummingbirds are so small, light and quick that you can't see 'em in this forest because there are too many trees and earthquakes passing through

#3 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Eric is an excellent resource.  I agree with what he said, examples are everywhere.

He also points out something else --> people that think that links aren't 50% or more of SEO are confused.  The anti-penguin & panda strategy is to learn how to create links the way he teaches. Links are an extension of PR and Marketing.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1543 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Your growth of data is interesting, Iamlost. Still i find myself using simple phrases with voice search. Starbucks gives me great results in lieu of ....where is the nearest starbucks.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

I'm a sad case with mobile: I just upgraded from a 10-yr old flip phone to an iPhone...my personal mobile ability/experience is limited :) Fortunately, I have visitor data to play with with regard to sites or I'd be even more lost than I am :D Am just getting the hang of texting...voice messaging is yet to come...

#6 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1543 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'm like that. I,ve had google voice for a long time before using it. Probably concerned the phone would tell me to wash my mouth out after using f bombs.

#7 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

To me saying lengthy questions is just a novelty. At first it is fun to say "Who is Tom Cruise married to?" but long-term it's more practical to say "Tom Cruise wife". I wonder if the majority of searchers will learn this or will continue to ask questions? Speaking in a more conversational tone and getting spoken answers back could make people feel less (or more) lonely if they're wanting social contact.

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1543 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

I do take exception to one sentence/line in that article by Eric Ward.  Google heavily relies on keywords for its advertising revenues.   Its currently generating around $40/50 billion/year in those revenues world wide.  

Think about it   Last year its advertising revenues just in the states (43% of the total) generated about $19 billion.   That is about $60/per person.  Probably $70/80/90/per user.   Ads are everywhere and they are mostly driven by keywords.  

Google is telling everyone that search is different now.  I think that is primarily google BS.   They've removed keywords from your knowledge.  You can virtually only get a grasp of it via adwords....if you pay for it.  They are telling you all sorts of things......but who can contest or question it?  I'm very skeptical.  

Google remains dependent on keywords.  They don't want you or me to have it in our context and will talk around it.   But they rely on it and benefit from it.

#9 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

I do take exception to one sentence/line in that article by Eric Ward.  Google heavily relies on keywords for its advertising revenues.   Its currently generating around $40/50 billion/year in those revenues world wide.  

Think about it   Last year its advertising revenues just in the states (43% of the total) generated about $19 billion.   That is about $60/per person.  Probably $70/80/90/per user.   Ads are everywhere and they are mostly driven by keywords.  

Google is telling everyone that search is different now.  I think that is primarily google BS.   They've removed keywords from your knowledge.  You can virtually only get a grasp of it via adwords....if you pay for it.  They are telling you all sorts of things......but who can contest or question it?  I'm very skeptical.  

Google remains dependent on keywords.  They don't want you or me to have it in our context and will talk around it.   But they rely on it and benefit from it.

Keywords are everything. 

Based on that quote, keywords are a significant part g#####'s value proposition for AdWords.

Get Spyfu and you can get keyword visibiity = to about 70% of what g##### used to provide.  Problem is, without a tool like Spyfu, you get 0% of what g##### used to provide.

Edited by chuckfinley, 07 January 2014 - 05:59 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users