• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

If you accept guest posts ... start deleting them! If you write guest posts, start getting them removed!

Ok, Matt didn't say that exactly, but close enough, and more than likely an algo update is on the way to punish guest blogging.

http://searchenginel...-is-done-182147

What are Matt's exact words?

Okay, I’m calling it: if you’re using guest blogging as a way to gain links in 2014, you should probably stop. Why? Because over time it’s become a more and more spammy practice, and if you’re doing a lot of guest blogging then you’re hanging out with really bad company.

So stick a fork in it: guest blogging is done; it’s just gotten too spammy. In general I wouldn’t recommend accepting a guest blog post unless you are willing to vouch for someone personally or know them well. Likewise, I wouldn’t recommend relying on guest posting, guest blogging sites, or guest blogging SEO as a linkbuilding strategy.

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

So, if I have a blog and have regular writers, this is okay?  

#3 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Catcher

• Site Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

If you write guest posts, start getting them removed!

Definitely not going to do that! :)

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Those who depend upon guest posts (either accepting or contributing) are eventually doomed. They'll go around saying, "Oh but mine are quality!" or "Oh but I only accept quality ones from people I know and trust".

Get your collective heads out of the sand. You've been warned. You'll be crying over the spilled guest milk one day, wondering what happened.

It may not happen tomorrow, or next month, but it'll happen. If you do depend on guest posts for a living (Ann...), start saving your money so you have something to fall back on when the hammer finds you.

Don't say you weren't warned when it does.

(P.S. If Google attempts to detect those guest posts that would meet its approval, you can bet it'll get it wrong more often than it gets it right. Don't sit around thinking your quality posts are gonna pass muster...you'll end up drowning in that pool of quality).

#5 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9003 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

It is interesting that Matt Cutts wrote this on his personal blog. As some of the comments there indicate, he is on a very slippery slope with this. Even journalistic blogs occasionally rely on guest posts from very eminent writers.  Does Google expect the whole world to change its practices in order that the Google PageRank-based algorithm should continue to function. It's ludicrous. I think Matt is rattling sabers here.

#6 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Does Google expect the whole world to change its practices in order that the Google PageRank-based algorithm should continue to function

Yes, Google does expect the whole world to change its practices, IF they want to not get penalized by Google's algos.

Like it or not...fair or not...good for users or not...good for webmasters or not...this is the way it is. After all these years, and all these changes, and all these penalties, and all these tears...isn't it time to heed the warnings before drowning in the pool of "but mine is quality" excuses?

Edited by DonnaFontenot, 20 January 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have done some guest writing and publishing, and while there is definitely some quality, there is a lot more crap out there. You only have to look at your spam folder to see how much goes on - how often do you get a link exchange request now, and how often a request to publish on your site.

I have only had a few writers come to me who are real people, but I have had hundreds of SEOs. Most create fake profiles to try to look official (one even posted a stock photo of a doctor on his Google profile). 

I was thinking about disavowing some of my old stuff. John Mu said last year that guest posts you place should have nofollow on them, this was always on the cards.

It is no different to paid posts today. If you find a site that hardly does guest posting, so little that they do not have a name for it, you will be OK. If half, or more, of their articles are from other people, all writing to a minimum word count and adding keyword anchor links, that does not look natural.

No doubt I will be affected again!

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Another blanket statement that allows Google the greatest freedom of action while spreading FUD among the SEOmasses.

List all the things that Matt and other Googlers have decried and each still works as well as it ever did - when done well, in moderation, etc. The problem for those authors and sites that are not obviously household names will be the false positives while G fine tunes the inputs. Plus, of course, just where G will draw that initial line...

On the other hand the SEO spiel-folk have an entire new set of drums to beat up business with...

#9 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

And, as it's always been, if something is big and popular enough, it'll be able to do whatever it wants, because Google's algorithm won't be what keeps it afloat.

There is a fair question here concerning what is a "guest post", as described by Cutts. Is a guest post having a knowledgeable expert friend provide you with a post for your site? Probably not. Is it having a blog where the majority of posts appear to be published by guests? I bet it is.

I'm pretty confident that Google will be incorporating a ton of their usual signals in identifying what meets their classification of a "guest post" -- and that content quality, authorship, and content volume will be major factors.

And, as usual, some major violators of principle will get through, and some totally legitimate users of guest posts will be crushed.

Part of the problem is the same ongoing problem with spam: there's a great idea, that many people use totally legitimately, and a subset of people exploit that idea. By doing that, they decimate the value of that idea for the rest of the world.

Maddening.

#10 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

List all the things that Matt and other Googlers have decried

Talk to some of our members here who have gone through Panda or Penguin. I personally know some outstanding sites that got hit by one or the other or both. But hey, keep on keepin' on if that's what ya wanna do.

#11 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Catcher

• Site Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

If you do depend on guest posts for a living (Ann...), start saving your money so you have something to fall back on when the hammer finds you.

I don't depend on guest blogging OR Google. I do many things!
But I stand for EACH of my guest posts ever placed. They are signed by my name and I will never want them removed

Edited by seosmarty, 20 January 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#12 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

So now Matt has amended his post:

Added: It seems like most people are getting the spirit of what I was trying to say, but I’ll add a bit more context. I’m not trying to throw the baby out with the bath water. There are still many good reasons to do some guest blogging (exposure, branding, increased reach, community, etc.). Those reasons existed way before Google and they’ll continue into the future. And there are absolutely some fantastic, high-quality guest bloggers out there. I changed the title of this post to make it more clear that I’m talking about guest blogging for search engine optimization (SEO) purposes.

I’m also not talking about multi-author blogs. High-quality multi-author blogs like Boing Boing have been around since the beginning of the web, and they can be compelling, wonderful, and useful.

I just want to highlight that a bunch of low-quality or spam sites have latched on to “guest blogging” as their link-building strategy, and we see a lot more spammy attempts to do guest blogging. Because of that, I’d recommend skepticism (or at least caution) when someone reaches out and offers you a guest blog article.

Good that he clarified, but I still wouldn't trust Google to get it right, unless you are Boing Boing or some equally trusted site in Google's eyes.

#13 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Catcher

• Site Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

I really think with his following and influence, he needs to think twice before pushing "Publish" to avoid edits like that :)

#14 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

exactly! and it is that non-caring, inattention to detail that will plague the algo updates too

#15 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Catcher

• Site Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

exactly! and it is that non-caring, inattention to detail that will plague the algo updates too

Then we are screwed anyway lol! What the point in being over-careful? Learn to live without Google instead ;)

Pst, that's my personal view only...

#16 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2487 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

Well, glad that's over, as iamlost said, pretty much all that Matt Cutts says doesn't work does work - I know because I am doing the vast majority of them with success.

The difference is that now when you pop a site on the first page of Google, via their Kwality [sic] guidelines, and their Kwality Reeview [sic] team, they may - if found - attempt to kick you from the front page so you start paying for the same traffic for Adwords. That is a distilled form of all this GUFF that is knocked out from HQ. I think it is about time that Matt shared with us tips for getting great links, not telling us all the things we can't do. If he's so good at dashing SEOs, then please show us some creativity (which we have!).

If you read a bit of exasperation in Matt Cutts posts, then it has more to do with the fact that, if done well it is undetectable and beneficial.

But clearly he got a telling off when he went to his managers meeting.

How we weep.

;)

#17 ShawnaSeigel

ShawnaSeigel

Topic Leader - Ecommerce

• Moderators
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Part of the problem is the same ongoing problem with spam: there's a great idea, that many people use totally legitimately, and a subset of people exploit that idea. By doing that, they decimate the value of that idea for the rest of the world.

Maddening.

I agree completely, but that's how you get SPAM.

You link to me because you like me? Great! Google uses that information to see if I am popular. Let's go buy a million links.

You have content on your website and you get better results? Great! Let me copy what everyone else has, so we have content.

You are guest blogging and that creates links Google wants? Great! Let me do 30 guest posts a week.

You don't follow the "rules", but you are listed higher than me this week. Great! I'm going to break the rules too.

Google is a corporation. There main job is to get people to search on their website. If they search, they click ads, and Google makes money. Their job is to make sure that they provide the BEST results for their customers. If they don't, their customer is gone. They are using Bing - the answer search engine.

If we want to rank in their search engine, then we have to keep in mind what they are trying to accomplish.

They want to find the best results for every search query.

Too many webmasters focus on what they "think" Google wants. Too many webmasters "think" that Google can't tell what they are doing. Google has TONS of data at their fingertips.

They know that a website had 10 links last month and this month they have 1,000. They know that a website has never done a guest blog post and now there are 2 or 3 blogs a day with your name and link. They know that a website has zero content on their website one day and now the site has content that 3,000 other websites have on their website as well.

Webmasters have to STOP thinking about what Google wants and focus instead on what their visitor wants.

Make the user experience amazing. Make your website fast. Make your website easy to use. Make your website answer the questions your visitors need.

Google wants you to do things for the user.

Something to think about - You tell your child no tv for a week. They pull up their cell phone or ipad and watch their shows on that instead. The child is following the letter of the law, but not the intent.

If you go back and listen to what Matt is saying in this video and others, he is being forced to focus on the letter of the law and not the intent.

That's just my opinion though :)))

#18 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

They want to find the best results for every search query.

Excuse me...cough, gag

#19 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2002 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Not sure about this anymore. Not when ads in the top 3 are indistinguishable from results or hard to tell. That is just the BEST PAID results because users have gotten into the habit of clicking 1 through 3 and they have tons of data which tells them so. They toyed with making it obvious and came back. Bing is not really there. Yet? I've made it my default but need to fall back to G when a bit more complicated.

oops Ken just coughed and gaged. I second the motion. And just to be clear, I did not get hit by any algo. I do not sell anything. Often I do pretty good with Adsense (which means some of my stuff works) but a rose is a rose...... etc

Google is a corporation. There main job is to get people to search on their website. If they search, they click ads, and Google makes money. Their job is to make sure that they provide the BEST results for their customers. If they don't, their customer is gone. They are using Bing - the answer search engine.

Edited by bobbb, 21 January 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#20 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

If anyone started Guest Blog Posting to get link backs for higher search ranking, it was a mistake to begin with. If someone - who has been using Guest Blog Posting as a way of promoting their brand and bringing good traffic to their site - stops it because of Matt Cutts' post, it is also a mistake. 

IMO, at this point business owners and webmasters should be more focused on diversifying their traffic sources away from Google natural search instead of blindly following new Google policies. 

Edited by mrgoodfox, 21 January 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#21 ShawnaSeigel

ShawnaSeigel

Topic Leader - Ecommerce

• Moderators
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Not sure about this anymore. Not when ads in the top 3 are indistinguishable from results or hard to tell. That is just the BEST PAID results because users have gotten into the habit of clicking 1 through 3 and they have tons of data which tells them so. They toyed with making it obvious and came back. Bing is not really there. Yet? I've made it my default but need to fall back to G when a bit more complicated.

oops Ken just coughed and gaged. I second the motion. And just to be clear, I did not get hit by any algo. I do not sell anything. Often I do pretty good with Adsense (which means some of my stuff works) but a rose is a rose...... etc

If users are clicking on the top 3 out of habit... and those are the best PAID results.... why would Google need to hide or test with making those ads less obvious?

We have gotten into the habit of knowing that those are paid results and not relevant to what we need. So now Google is trying to "trick" us. They want us to click on those links. They want us to think they have done a better job of making those ads relevant because now they use a quality score.

My point is, you mentioned that you fall back on Bing if you can't find what you need on Google. Now let's play what if. What if 9 out of 10 times you could not find what you needed on Google, so you started using your back-up more and more. When you use your back-up method, it works every time. You find what you need right away. Would you continue to use Google as your first source or would you make them your back-up instead?

Although Google is the monster when it comes to search... They are losing numbers and Bing is gaining

January 2013

Google 67%
Microsoft 16.5%

http://www.comscore....Engine_Rankings

November 2013

Google 66.7%
Microsoft 18.1

http://ir.comscore.c...eleaseID=813754

If anyone started Guest Blog Posting to get link backs for higher search ranking, it was a mistake to begin with. If someone - who has been using Guest Blog Posting as a way of promoting their brand and bringing good traffic to their site - stops it because of Matt Cutts' post, it is also a mistake. 

IMO, at this point business owners and webmasters should be more focused on diversifying their traffic sources away from Google natural search instead of blindly following new Google policies. 

Amen :)

If you were writing quality guest articles for quality websites (aka you are into SEO and you guest blog for Search Engine Land or Moz), you have nothing to worry about.

If all of a sudden you stop because you think are doing something wrong.... you probably are.

If you have been writing amazing content on amazing websites, relax.

I have followed Ann Smarty for YEARSSSSSSSS. It's all quality. She does her research. She knows what she is talking about. She is an expert in her field, providing insight that is thoughtful and educated.

She isn't worried about getting her posts removed and she is not going to stop doing what she has been doing because Matt said so in his video. Matt isn't talking to her.

#22 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2002 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Bing is my default and the back up is G. You understood vice-versa.

We may be saying the same but using different words. When I said "the best PAID results" I meant highest bidder. Best paid results for G

That's what I said too. But the "we" I presume means people aware of SEO and this stuff. Regular users have a hard time distinguishing between the Internet and Google. It is the same (not really eh?) and they will click the top three. On a laptop (now) and I can hardly see the colouring in a Google ad (or a Bing ad). I know they are there and not relevant but who cares about a few disgruntled SEOs. (from the Google point of view)

We have gotten into the habit of knowing that those are paid results and not relevant to what we need. So now Google is trying to "trick" us. They want us to click on those links. They want us to think they have  done a better job of making those ads relevant because now they use a quality score

I see more traffic from Bing/Yahoo! too. Not in those quantities but I have limited data. very limited.

I see it now "They toyed with making it obvious and came back" making it obvious they were ads is my meaning. Because in my mind they are borderline on false advertising. Like making an ad look line an editorial in the print business.

Edited by bobbb, 21 January 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#23 ShawnaSeigel

ShawnaSeigel

Topic Leader - Ecommerce

• Moderators
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Bob, I came home last night at 11pm to find out we didn't have heat. The $500 we put in the propane tank that usually lasts 5 - 9 months was all gone in 6 weeks.

It's 5 degrees outside and our daughter is inside with her 3 month old.

It was a VERY long VERY cold night.

Woke up at 6am to go volunteer at a food shelter half awake. Had to rush home because the gas company thought we had a leak and and and and.....

Yes, I misread galore and for that I am so sorry.

So I am going to step away from the keyboard and try again tomorrow.

*BIG* huge hugs to you and everyone else too! I will try to do better tomorrow :D

#24 margoupson

margoupson

Runs With Social Talking Stick

• Social Hostess
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Bob, I came home last night at 11pm to find out we didn't have heat. The $500 we put in the propane tank that usually lasts 5 - 9 months was all gone in 6 weeks.

It's 5 degrees outside and our daughter is inside with her 3 month old.

It was a VERY long VERY cold night.

Yikes! Hope tomorrow is a better (and warmer!) day for you. 

#25 Jitendravaswani

Jitendravaswani

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

I am not going follow what he said. I have my own blog. I accept guest posts there. I check & moderate all guest post before going live. I have seen that spammers are abusing guest blogging for links. This is spam practice. This should be stop at all. Matt Cutts should penalize those who do spam not genuine link builders

#26 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

From http://seogadget.com...guest-blogging/ - Richard Baxter sums up my thoughts on guest blogging:

The hard and fast rule of guest blogging

Would it measurably benefit your business without a link?

I look at it as if the Internet didn't exist, and if we only had newspapers or magazines. Would it benefit me/my business to write an article in that publication?

Edit - However, a link would still be nice!

Edited by TheAlex, 04 February 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#27 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9003 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I note that in Matt Cutts's additional comments, he seems to be emphasizing keyword text links.  In a more recent video, pointing out the futility of using article directories, again he emphasized keyword text links.  It was almost as if this was his current priority area of concern.

I may be reading too much into this, but I almost got the feeling that relevant links are okay and it is keyword text links that they are working hard on eliminating.

#28 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Yeah. Makes sense. Funny, just had my first MyBlogGuest guest post link removal request. This was for a keyword link in an author bio; there were no links in the body of the article. It was not even very keywordy, I guess very niche so not obvious.

#29 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2487 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Keyword in anchor text, at least that never works

#30 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Catcher

• Site Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Yeah. Makes sense. Funny, just had my first MyBlogGuest guest post link removal request. This was for a keyword link in an author bio; there were no links in the body of the article. It was not even very keywordy, I guess very niche so not obvious.

Yeah I am getting those too... I usually seldom posted content with exact-match links from MBG (as were always officially against that)... Only occasionally when those links were relevant and the content was too good!

#31 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Those who depend upon guest posts (either accepting or contributing) are eventually doomed. They'll go around saying, "Oh but mine are quality!" or "Oh but I only accept quality ones from people I know and trust".

Get your collective heads out of the sand. You've been warned. You'll be crying over the spilled guest milk one day, wondering what happened.

It may not happen tomorrow, or next month, but it'll happen. If you do depend on guest posts for a living (Ann...), start saving your money so you have something to fall back on when the hammer finds you.

Don't say you weren't warned when it does.

(P.S. If Google attempts to detect those guest posts that would meet its approval, you can bet it'll get it wrong more often than it gets it right. Don't sit around thinking your quality posts are gonna pass muster...you'll end up drowning in that pool of quality).

I wish I hadn't been right, Ann. Sorry. :( I hope things work out ok for you.

Google’s Matt Cutts: We’ve Taken Action On A Large Guest Blog Network

The belief is that Google specifically went after MyBlogGuest.com, if you Google their name, it no longer shows up in the search results. Plus, Ann Smarty, the owner of the network, wrote a blog post after Matt Cutts said guest blogging is dead, proclaiming her network will not nofollow links.

#32 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2487 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Having a verification process that allowed the network ID to be revealed was always asking for trouble, I seem to remember raising this issue in their forum but it fell on deaf ears. I could pull the network with a copy of Xrumer & Hrefer so I frankly think that Matt's manager needs to pull him in for a corporate evaluation and job review because he's not working hard enough.

Whatever Matt Cutts said unless there is a unique identifier they can't really detect sh**, it's all PR and mind games.

G.

#33 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

The real problem with this is that it is going to continue hitting innocent people.

There are people who write articles for other websites simply because they have a "message to get out".  They are not trying to manipulate anybody or anything.  They simply want to share their story.

I used to publish lots of articles that were sent to me by universities and professors and government agencies.  They were published on my sites and lots of other websites.   My entire site I got slapped for publishing that stuff (even without links) during one of the Panda updates.  Fortunately, I knew that I had a problem and figured it was Panda....

....but what about Joe Schmoe, enthusiastic blogger who knows nothing of SEO but accepts an article now and them from someone else that he thinks his visitors might enjoy.   There are a lot of weasels out there wanting him to publish as many articles as possible.... and lots of universities, organizations, government agencies and other groups who want their message posted on his sites for all of his visitors to read.   They (especially the weasels) are out there contacting the Joe Schmoes by million message email blasts to have them publish their articles.  Sometimes innocent Joe Schmoe thinks he is "doing good" by posting their photo and a link to their website at the bottom of their article. 

Google needs to publish the Ten Commandments (maybe Two Thousand Commandments) of publishing websites or they will continue slappin' the p*** out of poor people like Joe who is just tryin' to make a little website.  I know that they have their "quality" guidelines" but those might as well be written in Greek because Joe don't know about them, ain't reading them and even if he did read them he would not "get" that publishing an article from the University of Oregon or the Church of Whatever is gonna send him to Hell with Google.   Google thinks that every creature on the planet is reading their crap, studyin' it and understanding every single way that it could bite their behind.  It is like passing a law that commands the police to shoot-on-sight anyone who says the word "blue", ceptin' when they say it as part of the colors of the flag or part of the colors of the sky... but they forget to tell people that navy, cobalt and cyan are shoot-on-sight words too and the whole world has to figure it out WTF happened by transcribing the final words of dead people. 

Edited by EGOL, 19 March 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#34 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2487 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Joe schmooz is doing good, it's Google that's doing wrong by challenging the very foundations of what Public Relations is all about. Soon we'll get to a situation where newspapers fear to quote people becuase it looks like it could be some kind of paid arrangement. Or maybe we are all to be issued with digital widgets so that whenever we are quoted online it can be loaded from our own website into an iframe of the site that is quoting you without Google having to incur a cost indexing the same thing twice.

On the flipside there are lots of weasel web-owners that are attempting to charge lots of money to leverage this fashion for guest posts. When you go and look at their FB pages with lots of followers and the actual relationships they talk of, you can see it's all bots and air. I wait, with baited breath to see if Moz gets a slap down for all the reposts it does as well as other industry sites where there are offers to accept articles in return for what exactly...traffic, possible clients...all sounds a bit paid to me.

I also don't think that algo updates have any concept of innocent people and certainly based on cases I've been invoved in, none of the metrics of build good sites for people is something that tallies well with the actual reality of how Google ranks sites. Look at the UI on sites that Google chooses to promote to the top of their listings in the T&T market to get a sense of that. Does spending 40 million on PPC give you preferential treatment? You just have to look at the real world and donations to political parties to get a sense of whether money could play a firm part in the influencing process.

Sure, read into how Google likes to have the information to be considered in its listings, read behind those headlines and understand the direction it is going and the risks to your business of either sitting in or out of that particular announcement. The Adwords marketplace has given rise to a lot of new traffic delivering business models, and it's just a case of testing them all out one-by-one. If you can't compete on PPC find a company that is doing arbitrage that will have them picking up on appaling conversion rate but garnering you some brand awareness on key terms. And if you do start paying don't expect much in the way of being to audit that what you are spending on exactly because I seem to remember reading that Google had invested in a technolgy to fully encrypt their pages so that they can basically sit and print money and noone knows anything.

G.

Edited by glyn, 19 March 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#35 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

Whatever Matt Cutts said unless there is a unique identifier they can't really detect sh**,

Hence the reason google wants and needs to be your ISP.

10 times as fast as anyone else and a good price...They know how to get the information they want.

Google pricing for Kansas City...$300 for 7 years.

• Free Internet: $0/month (for at least seven years) + $300 construction fee

#36 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1526 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

I'm signed up for myguestblogger with one account.  It turns out we never used it.  We neither published on anyone else's account or hosted an article.  

I certainly took some shots at it, both ways.  None of it worked for us.   We are in very small niches in a  couple of different markets and had very tight requirements for what we wanted.  ....and then our efforts to guest blog were rejected two or 3 times.  After a while I stopped reading the email alerts.   

We actually made efforts on sites that spanned beyond the one site signed up.

Hmmm.   

So there are a lot of "contacts" references to websites, etc etc etc. in there.  I'll probably work through a lot of contacts to see if anything is promising down the line...should I have time....

but I have to disable the one url in there  (might as well).  

Google has way too much power.  No entity is exerting power over google.  

Okay...China did it.  

the EEU is doing it.

the US and North America are doing nothing.

While google just creamed Ann's initially great idea...because google doesn't like it...they are sponsoring fraud in this topic:  Locksmith spam.  Google has been acutely aware of this issue for years.  They simply have shelved any effort to control it.

What is unbelievably galling is that google is carrying A TON of definite spammy/ rip you off ads in adwords for fake locksmiths.  Google is not only assisting, aiding and abetting  the spam...its making money off it:

Here is a telling story in Redditt from about 1 year ago on locksmith spam:  http://www.reddit.co...omments/1cgzr9/

I'm sorry for Ann, and her effort.  It didn't work for us...though I tried with some accts.  I additionally received what must have been thousands of updates with opportunities to either post on somebody else's blog or host on our own.....lots more than I could ever look at ...and frankly not a ton of sites that we deemed appropriate, or deemed us appropriate.

Now I have to disable that link from ann's network.

All because of that huge entity more powerful than any other entity and one without any checks or balances on it.  

Putin= google.  Two entitities that use unbridled power and abuse where and when they can.

RSS Feed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users