• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

As Artists we work in a varity of media.

We have a gardening site and a nice but neglected blog that places well.

We have a site where we sell clay ornaments and wind chimes as favors

We have a site where we sell wild bird feeders, houses and chimes, also from clay and wood

We have a site that features our photography
We have been working on a food/cooking site.
We have a site for website design.

The reason is that I was advised at one time to keep the focus to one thing or another as far as site design goes.

I hate having to keep seperate sites.
Each site with a card needs a seperate merchant account, seperate PCI compliance fees, and seperate dedicated IP address and seperate secure certificate.

Since a lot of our traffic is long tail and these topics are very competitive individually, would not a simple site with seperate sub catagories, not sub directories, work?  Or at least make my life easier?

One site to update.  One site to backup.  One site to rule them all.

At least we would be able to pull the traffic each site gets to one location.

It seems to me there are plenty of sites that offer a large varity of services and products.

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

One come to mind. Amazon. :)

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5186 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

If you can create a theme that flows across all of the parts of your site I think that it might be a good idea. 

If you combine the sites then their link popularity will be combined which might result in better rankings. 

If you combine then people can shop across product areas and that can result in larger shopping carts.

I can easily imagine combining gardening, wind chimes, bird feeders/houses, outdoor photography, cooking using garden veggies.

So, you might combine some of the sites or all of the sites if they create a flowing theme.  It might do really well.

#4 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Plus we would not need to keep track of a number of separate social sites.

I guess theartsandcraftsnetwork would need to be separate but everything else might go together.

#5 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

There's definitely scope for reducing the number of websites. These sound like they could go together really well:

We have a gardening site and a nice but neglected blog that places well.
We have a site where we sell wild bird feeders, houses and chimes, also from clay and wood

I'm not so sure about combining the others. Perhaps the food/cooking site could join the above in a "home" theme.

Or perhaps they could all go together under a "creative" theme, which is what the likes of etsy.com is - though the photography site sounds more personal - if so that should be kept separate, unless you can get it in with photos of the products. The web design business sounds like a standalone one too.

The problem is, Google (et al?) may not see you as an authority on "wild bird feeders" for example, if it gets combined with a lot of other products. But maybe that time and money you save by not having extra sites will benefit the new bigger website.

If you're making massive changes like this I'd recommend taking it step-by-step. So if it doesn't work at least you haven't changed everything. 6 sites down to 3 wouldn't be a bad start. Just be careful with those 301 redirects. :)

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I agree, the outdoor stuff could go together, but if I was on a site buying bird feeds and saw they had pages on web design I would feel that the business might be a little amateurish. 

But saying that, if it was cheaper to run them all under one site, could you not use subdomains? Or does that count as separate sites anyway? If the web design and photography were in their own subdomains with totally different designs and minimal interlinking, then you may be able to cut costs but still run them separately.

Unless the food / recipes was closely links with gardening (growing own food) that might be better alone too. But you would be competing with a gadzillion others. But then that applies to everything.

#7 evolvor

evolvor

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

The first thing that pops in my head here is not to think about this as "how can these fit into one website" but more like "can these fit under a brand". I think they all could probably fall into a brand, with even more doors opening based on how that is developed.

If you went to a newsstand you'd find all sorts of magazine brands (think "lifestyle" magazines) that could sell any of those products (but perhaps with specific angles - "Better Homes & Gardens" has a certain demographic, "Style" another, etc.)  Perhaps thinking about a brand and building that, then incorporating all the products under it would make sense. If done well the sky is the limit for what else could be sold under the brand. 

If there is a shared demographic among those who visit these sites or purchase these products, then you have an opportunity

#8 karinab

karinab

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

My gut reaction was to agree with EGOL and TheAlex by combining some of the sites that make sense together:

(We have a gardening site and a nice but neglected blog that places well.

We have a site where we sell wild bird feeders, houses and chimes, also from clay and wood)

and keeping sites separate that didn't seem to fit under a single category:

(We have a site that features our photography
We have been working on a food/cooking site.
We have a site for website design.)

And although I still stand by that initial thought, I can certainly see where evolvor is coming from by creating a brand that encompasses everything. Building up a brand is a lot of work, but like you've already stated, you're already doing tons of work and spending tons of money maintaining 6 separate websites.

What type of sites are the photography, food/cooking and web design sites? Are they also e-commerce? Or are they more lead generation sites and/or informational sites? You may have a harder time pulling together different business model types than you would just pulling together different categories of products.

#9 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

It really depends on the specifics - for example if your gardening site a personal blog/site about gardening? If so then how will that audience feel about being sold to? Probably not good.

However, if you have a blog about you, it would be perfectly reasonable to document photos you took one week and what you were up to businesswise or in the garden another.

I'm sure you could combine and streamline, you'd just need to think about your goals and audience and how to combine sites that may have different ones. In otherwords, don't just think about the topic but also what your audience want from the site and what your goal with it is.

#10 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

It really depends on the specifics - for example if your gardening site a personal blog/site about gardening? If so then how will that audience feel about being sold to? Probably not good.

I do not understand.  We do not sell anything on the blog.  You have to stop by the house.  fivecedars.com

Yikes, the site is dated but we still get lots of calls.  This needs to be tuned up.

Edited by tommr, 22 January 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#11 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

I do not understand.  We do not sell anything on the blog.  You have to stop by the house.  fivecedars.com

You mean people have to visit you in person to buy something? The doesn't mean you aren't 'selling' online. You are selling yourself as a brand, as somewhere to buy something from even if in the end the person has to make a trip to finalize the purchase.

I don't know exactly what all your sites entail. My point are that you might not be be selling at all on some, eg posting pictures of your pet dog with no effort to make any money. But if you merge everything you will be, your 'just reading an interesting blog' audience will be combined with your 'I'm looking to buy something' audience so you need to think about how to keep them both happy, and if that's possible.

#12 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for all the input.
I am going to try to see what I can put together but for right now I have more pressing matters.

#13 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I'm coming late to this conversation but wanted to throw another little bit into the pot: a site can consist of more than one domain.

It is not a subject/option that gets much discussion but we did have it here some years back: Start New Site From Scratch Or Split Off A Folder?, started by EGOL, 03-May-2008.

Especially pertinent may be
* Ron Carnell, post #10
* torka, post #21
although the entire thread was a real thought provoker.

#14 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2335 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

I was thinking wpmu the lot as that would reduce adminning them

#15 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I went through the same issue when setting up the sites for my legal marketing business. We have a number of directories focused on promoting lawyers in different countries. I chose to go with a different URL for each site mainly for branding. I wanted people to feel that they are on a site exclusive to for example Russian Lawyers. rather than a general lawyer site with a Russian filter. 

I still had the same issues of dedicated IP, credit card processing fees and all other per-site licenses. So I combined all the payment processing and account management of those sites into one central site. I still keep the separate domains for different niches but use one parent site to manage all user's accounts, payments, etc. 

The only downside to that (which I've found so far) is that Google might think its spammy but "I" know that its not because I work quite a bit on each and every one of them. I'm counting that once the sites have been online for an extended time with good content and features Google will come to love us too. Until then I'm focusing on other avenues of generating traffic.

#16 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I have another question about merging my sites.
We just finished launching choice favors a few months ago and we 301 ed the urls from the wedding dept to choice favors.
Now, with the merger all these sites will be Five Cedars.
I wonder if should I send the 301's from both sites to new one or from one to the other to the other?

#17 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

You want the minimum number of possible 301s chained together as each adds a dampening factor to the value transmitted through the link.

Example:

Note: I like to use the factor used in the original Google PR paper of 15% or 0.85. For example purposes only. :)

One 301 (as with any link) dampens value n-amount, i.e. 100% * .85 = 85%.

Using those numbers two 301s in sequence would be 100% *.85 *.85 = 72.25%

Therefore it would be best to send the 301s from both sites to the new one. Also check whether you have serial 301s within those sites and simplify as can if necessary.

#18 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Still working on the merger and Google has given me another reason to merge.

Here is the message I received this morning...

"Hello,

We’d like to inform you that Google Places no longer accommodates more than one authorized owner per business location. Your account contains one or more listings that have been identified as duplicates of other listings and as a result, some of the information you provide will not be shown to Google users anymore.

To get more information or request access to the other listings, please log into your Google Places account

Sincerely, 
The Google Places Team"

One thing after another.

#19 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

How can that work? Business centres and office blocks which house many businesses will not be able to list multiple businesses?

Maybe create additional numbers for your house, e.g. 10a Google Road, 10b Google Road .... not sure how feasible that is legally, but I am sure the postie will work it out and Google cannot see beyond your door!

#20 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Maybe it has something to do with ownership.  I dunno anymore! :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users