Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Serps, Super Bowl, Start Time, Spammy Content, Sullivan Danny And The Answer Box Seo ~~ 2014

everything you need to know seo 2014 controversy funny competitive serps

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Danny Sullivan summarized many issues that concern webmasters, and the state of search in 2014 with his humorous and informative post on what time the super bowl starts at SELand.   For those that aren't familiar with this American extravaganza the Super Bowl, which crowns the winner of the American Pro Football league (American version of football ;) ) invariably scores as the most watched TV show year after year in the US.

Everybody wants to know the start time.  Its a seasonal topical heavily searched item  every year (and SELand has been  tracking it for years--see the article).  Parties are scheduled around it, dinners are timed around it, food, snacks and drinks are prepared based on that time, people coordinate to meet at their favorite sports bars around that schedule.  

And its changed over the years.  In fact as Danny points out one extremely clever entrant into the high ranking serps was by Gawker, who doesn't have anything to do with the Super Bowl, other than cleverly planning how to grab its position in the serps:

Graphs, linkbait, spammy content.  Dang.   Good job Gawker.  An seo traffic grabbing winner in the serps!!!!  

Meanwhile for all the entrants into this popular phrase all is for naught.  Google is the big winner with an answer box.   It sits on top of the serps responding to the question.  Everyone else's traffic will suffer.  Alas, webmasters.

I'm thinking next year there will be at least 10 ads in ppc having to do with that search phrase.   What do you think...and who do you think will win this year????   :D

Meanwhile for those who wear dark colored hats, or who wish to play a prank or have a malicious nature, this story, first reported in SEORoundtable by a former commentator here, skittzo, this is a story on how to potentially make mince meat of answer box data:  link

Let the games begin. 

Edited by earlpearl, 01 February 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2086 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Yes, fun idea for mocking G.

A little off topic and maybe this reflects the "state of the search in 2014" but you want to know what time the Super Bowl starts? Easy! www.NFL.com and it is right in your face: Sunday 6:30PM EST on Fox and the teams are listed The Blackhawks against the Denver Avalanche (are we even allowed to say the words Super Bowl?) No need for google/bing/Yahoo/the duck/the other guy/Yandex/baidu/ (are people dumb or what. Hey you can't say that. I told you before they can read strikeouts)

Of course this is the behaviour G likes

Who will win? I just want to see the best game the teams can give us. Don't care who wins. Hopefully a referee error will not decide it.

Edited by bobbb, 01 February 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#3 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

What time is the super bowl is evidently a story that doesn't necessarily reflect journalism, but it does reflect the history of trolling trying to figure out what is popular and answering it on the web with made for topic stories and headlines per The Atlantic which is a thoughtful publication imho.  

With Google answers...the search engine is outtrolling the trollers and working to keep everyone on its own pages:   

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2086 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Correction. That was the Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. One track mind these Canadians and sports.

#5 margoupson

margoupson

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

It's the Super Bowl this weekend? I just thought it was SU weekend (Go Orange!).    :cheerleader:

I only watch the Superbowl for the ads. I find other stuff to do when the game itself is on. 

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4623 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Super Bowl...who cares?

The Scotties is on!

* Schedule & Scores

* Team Information

:)

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5443 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Super Bowl...who cares?

Yep.... I am going to write a blog post.... But I did check that SERP to see when the game starts.... I need to stop at the store and want to know what time the idiots will be out of there.

Edited by EGOL, 01 February 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Back in 2006 when AOL dumped the results of 20million searches it was painfully clear as to losing a position in the serps is. This is one example

#9 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5443 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

My site had a 25% traffic drop during the SuperBowl.   I thought that it would be more.

#10 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3817 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

My site had a 25% traffic drop during the SuperBowl.   I thought that it would be more.

Times change. In the past, TV was the only couch-potato activity going, so the superbowl reigned on that day. Now...people have much more entertainment to occupy them while lounging around. The web changed everything. :)

#11 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Our traffic was miserable.  I didn't look at it in terms of percentage drop.  Miserable is an ample description    :abducted:

Meanwhile I went back in time to some of the data in that 2006 dump of traffic re:  the google answer box.   It gave a nice estimate of traffic per position and Aaron Wall summarizes it here with reference to some analysis on the relative importance and value of ranking supplied by our buddy Donna:  

Ranking 1st was worth about 42% of all the organic clicks and ranking 2nd was worth about 12% while ranking 3rd was worth about 8.5%.  As Donna noted the site ranked first picked up about 3.5 times the traffic as the #2 ranked site.  Link  ZOUNDS!!!!     

Google's answer box scoops up tons of traffic and reduces the traffic to sites ranked below it.    Meanwhile as has been tracked for years, the number of searches for phrases such as "what time is the super bowl" is annually one of the highest trafficked search phrase for the days leading up to the event.

In fact if you look at the SELand article and similar articles starting as far back as 2009, you'll find interesting information about search trends, what recipes are popular, which dips are being prepared etc.  

Additionally the Atlantic Article neatly describes the process that websites use to ascertain trends in search and social to get timely articles up on the web that define what is popular at the moment.

And Gawker created an article that defines linkbait, use of graphs and spammy content to grab high rankings (on the prime phrase and long tail)...and it ranked highly. 

Its all pretty interesting imho, with the overriding issue being that google answer box grabbed the highest volume of relevant traffic.   hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :emo_gavel:

Meanwhile traffic to our sites just tanked on pcs during the day, though mobile traffic was pretty standard.  Donna:  I guess one of the alternative couch potato things to do while eatin, and watchin, and drinkin, and dipping food into dips was to surf on one's mobile.  ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users