• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jged

Jged

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I have built a couple of websites now using wordpress and frankly i am not enamoured with it - I find it frustrating, time-consuming and glitchy and suspect I am one of the very few people out there that is this negative about it! I am not familiar with .php which is probably my downfall.

I started off using Dreamweaver many moons ago and later on hand coded a few sites. Would it be perverse to want to go back to this method of designing sites as for one I found putting together basic sites for my clients (they are mainly sole traders or companies with 2-4 employees at most) both reasonably quick or am I missing the point with Dreamweaver/css?

Any help appreciated,

#2 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'm glad somebody can't get their head around WordPress. Yep, it's that php stuff that always does me in. I've been using Dreamweaver now for four years after using Front Page since I started twelve years ago. The only thing that does bother me is all this chatter about having responsive websites and I don't even know if my DW version (CS5) can actually do that. I don't think I wanna know either..LOL

Probably not the answers you're looking for, but nice to hear another "complaining" about WordPress. I get bored with seeing so many sites out there today with WP, or those that don't go past the generic look. Text a mile across the screen etc. I can't explain it too well, but...I'm sure the real pros here can provide you with better info than I can 'cause I'm just a guy that does stuff for myself.

#3 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1361 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Having done my own sites, had them done by others, had sites done for small snd medium smb's the single most critical advantage of wp for the technically weak is the ability to make changes on ur own w/out always going back to the developer. Whatever status the client has now could change in the future necvessitating changes on an ongoing basis. Wp is the clear winner here.

#4 margoupson

margoupson

Runs With Social Talking Stick

• Social Hostess
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

I just work on my own sites, and I've never tried Dreamweaver, but have you explored other WP themes? Different themes have more/less customization options. You might be able to find a theme/plugin combo that takes care of whatever you'd normally do through .php. I used to have a horrible time in that area, too. As soon as I altered anything, my site would break and I'd need to scramble about trying to fix it. I just had to keep experimenting with themes until I found one that was easier to customize. 

I'm not a pro in this area, though, and I don't usually try to do anything too complicated with my sites. I'm interested in hearing what some of our more experienced members have to say. 

#5 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Woo Canvas is a good starter theme with lots of customization options.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

I am not a designer and have never used Dreamweaver. That is why I use Wordpress.

Never attempted to build my own theme for it, I just get one off the shelf and hack away at it until it looks about right.

Wordpress is made for people like me I think!

Although there are some stunning wordpress sites: https://wordpress.org/showcase/

Sony Music, Metro. I used to read Metro when I worked in the big smoke. Never new it was wordpress until today.

#7 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

I do not believe one needs to know anything much about php to use wordpress.  It helps but it is not necessary.

And I sometime get frustrated with wordpress, especially since I expect the entire world to be point and click, right now!

I used to like plain old html until this mobile deal started and as it turns out wordpress can handle it.
Another problem with plain old html and css was adding pages and editing menus and navigation.
With wordpress it's a snap and I do not have to change a million pages.

That said I find that using php for headers and footers and navagation on my html pages really saves a lot of time. 
Just simple bits are a big help.

There is a ton of information online for editing wordpress.

Just search for what you want to do, for example, "create a child theme" or "move sidebar to left wordpress twenty ten".
The answers are usually fairly easy to find.

like anything the more you use it the more you will get used to using it.  I often forget how to do this or that but I can usually find the answer here or by doing a quick search.

I used to grab off the shelf themes and change them to my liking but I became paranoid that someone put something odd in the code somewhere so I now just take one of the stock themes and make a child theme.

I also find it is easy to show someone else how to edit their own page with wordpress.
I have setup a number of pages for businesses and groups of one kind or another so that people can make some changes as they need.
Not to say they edit the theme but to change things that need changing from time to time.

There are a number of really useful free or paid plugins to do everything from soup to nuts for wordpress.

But, sometimes there is a nut can't be cracked with wordpress and so I fall back on html, css and php.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

If you are going to be updating a site often, you need a CMS or blog platform, Wordpress is simple and effective.

If you just want to make a site that looks great, a brochure site, then it may not be the best option, especially if you are already a good designer with dreamweaver.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users