8 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2335 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

You learn something every day.

What I learnt was that the reason my internet connection was getting hammered was because the downloadable spotify app that you can install on your computer actual transforms your computer into a P2P network.

If you have the software installed then you can do a search and block spotify's ports and stop the band leaking.

If you use their web player then this will not happen, so you can just switch to that. Or if you're just looking for endless streams you could download the DI player and avoid all this spotify stuff. Or if you live in a country that doesn't respect the Berne convention then this would be the app to install and build you own library.

But I do find it quite cheeky that they are munching the upstream of it's users, and that this will even extend to people that are paying for their music delivery service.

Of course if they told peple they were running it as a P2P perhaps they would have been equated to naptster and that wouldn't have wrapped well with the launch would it. But this is the wild wide web.

G.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

You didn't know? Well, then this thread may well be an eye opener for others.

Another instance of big business taking over ideas they had previously crushed:

Note: Spotify is Napster 'plus' (uses a tracker similar to BitTorrent, network similar to Gnutella...) but with DRM and the blessing (and participation) of the big recording labels...

Approximately 10% (varies by ~50%) of the service is supplied from Spotify servers, 30% from P2P network (varies by ~30%), and the remainder is played from user's cache.

And you thought FUD was a Google trademark? :D

#3 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

I thought it was common knowledge that Spotify was P2P - I'm pretty sure they stated that at the beginning as one of the reasons why streaming was near-instant. Spotify used to be great - fast, slim software. But it's getting all bloated and slow these days.

I prefer the browser-only deezer.com. we7 used to be really good but then someone bought it (Tesco I think) and it became awful overnight - with no warning.

The cheekiest thing about Spotify is that they claim to be supporting and paying the artists that are streamed, whether independent or on a record label. Well, the major record labels have a big stake in Spotify and every time you play a song by any artist, even if it's by Tom Anyone in his bedroom - the major labels get money. One of my band's songs had over 1000 plays and we got about 6p for our troubles. I'd still prefer to be on there and I enjoy using it as it's so easy to try new music.

#4 evolvor

evolvor

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'm a huge huge Spotify fan and advocate. I never really thought of it as a p2p, but it makes sense. Too many times we take for granted how this new technology works and assume it's just "magic".

Why wouldn't you expect something that streams to slow down your Internet though? I knew that without even knowing the specifics. Spotify is hands down still the best option out there.

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2335 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Because upstream kills downstream not the reverse?

#6 margoupson

margoupson

Runs With Social Talking Stick

• Social Hostess
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I like Grooveshark and Rhapsody. I have Spotify on my computer, but I don't think I've used it since early last year. 

#7 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Does spotify run in the background, even when you aren't actively listening? i.e. Is it always using up your bandwidth, or just when you're listening?

#8 evolvor

evolvor

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

It runs for sure - it sits on your desktop. I always close it out when I'm not using it. 

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

http://techcrunch.co...desktop-client/

Spotify Removes Peer-To-Peer Technology From Its Desktop Client

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users