• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

I just read an interesting post on the Moz.com blog. 

It was titled Scaling Content Quality by Michael King.

I thought that it was a really interesting for two reasons...   1) I liked the article itself, and, 2) it has a ton of links out to really interesting and valuable information.   I started reading the article and was diverted at least five times by "gotta read this now!" stuff in the links.  About three hours later, I was back to my work. 

This does not happen to me very often. 

I really liked one of his opening statements....

.... for the SEO audience, there has always been a huge disconnect between the concepts of quality and scale when it comes to content. To some degree, this makes sense because until 2011 content quality didn't really impact Organic Search performance.

He is probably referring to Panda and how that algo whacks sites that have a lot of thin content.  It's like Google finally kicking webmasters in the Asss and demanding them to get rid of duplicate content and beef up pages that are really thin.  Even though I have some philosophical problems with how they are doing it the results will most likely force many webmasters to improve their sites or receive lower traffic. 

I think that a quick read of the title "Scaling Content Quality" will hit some minds as "Scaling Quality Content" which is a very different topic - kinda exactly the opposite.  And, maybe that is why the post has gotten a few thumbs down - I think a lot of Moz readers give thumbs down when a post suggests that you do a lot of work.  In the case of this article they were looking for a push button generator for quality content:)

A couple of the outlinks were to...  Diagrams Made Easy (Gliffy), which I thought was really cool and similar to a program that I paid quite a lot of money for and use frequently. 

And, Trellow, a project management program that after I browsed some of the sample boards I immediately went and applied a similar format to some of my "To Do" lists.

I should try Survey Monkey to get some data for an article that I have been struggling with... and Google publicdata is awesome.   I am going to spend a lot of time there tonight.

So, if you want to look at some real resources, just scan down the list of resources in his article.

http://moz.com/blog/...quality-content

Definitely worth the time.  I still can't understand why it got the thumbs down from people.... oh, they are alergic to work.  :lol:

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4629 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

The major fail with that article is that it was published at Moz where despite the dropping of SEO from their name their audience is still primarily SEO types and NOT content types. They want it fast and cheap. Which as we all know means ... crap. Just the way the trilogy works.

Oftentimes I see the terms "Content Strategy" and "Content Marketing" used interchangeably.
I could not disagree more.

I agree that they are not interchangeable BUT they MUST be interconnected. A content strategy without content marketing is like a car without an engine: looks great but goes nowhere. Content marketing without a content strategy is like a car without a steering mechanism: it's sure going but no one knows where.

Content strategy is the answer to scaling quality content that performs

Huh?
Sounds great but I didn't see any subsequent justification for the statement to include 'scaling'.

Whether his suggested framework and associated tools are sensible is immaterial: they do NOT actually scale the process of content generation. Unless existing inefficiencies are great and even then they have a built in upper limit; it still takes n-time to research, write, edit, accessorise, associate, and publish each page of content.

I do know that my pages each cost hundreds of dollars, sometimes with associated media (unique maps, graphics, photos, video is NOT cheap) well in excess of a thousand. One can automate and/or outsource surprising amounts of content creation, however, what one saves going that route is offset by required editing costs to maintain/ensure desired quality standards.

What I do really like about the article is that it offers a practical methodology and toolset for those who want to improve their content. It will NOT scale it's creation but it should make the product itself better. Off course even the tools aren't really necessary, they may be a help or make the work more onerous, but that depends on the knowledge, experience, and preferences of the webdev.

Interesting read and some links I wasn't aware of - thanks.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

One can automate and/or outsource surprising amounts of content  creation, however, what one saves going that route is offset by required editing costs to maintain/ensure desired quality standards.

Yep. That's what I have found.  I have only found a couple people who can write content that I like.  I have the Bible of a discipline from one.  The other is off to bigger and better things. 

My read of the title was "how to scale content quality"... and I think that the tools that he recommended offer some ways of making your content better but with some work.  But if you have software/websites to gather data, make graphics and manage your time that is a big help. 

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3821 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

And, Trellow, a project management program that after I browsed some of the sample boards I immediately went and applied a similar format to some of my "To Do" lists.

Trello changed my work life significantly. I blogged about it and a few other tools earlier this year. It has made a huge positive difference in how I handle tasks. Huge.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

Thanks Donna,   I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure it out and gave up.  So, I simply made a boards format on a graphic ToDo list that I keep as a google document.  But after reading your blog post I went back to Trellow and realized what can be done on the back of the card.   That is awesome.  I got to give it another chance and more time. 

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2567 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Textbroker.com

#7 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1018 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

Nice article. The main barrier with scaling quality content is of course cost. Zappos and REI are some of the companies that doit well (IMO). A lot of their products have videos and actually useful content. Quality content (and specially quality video) costs $$$ though.

On my hookah site we have a little over 400 articles. Fortunately hookah is a finite topic. We get new products on the market (to review) but there are only so many "Tips" and "How to Guides" to write about. So what I've been doing this year is instead of publishing 8 new articles a month (as I used to) I publish 4 new articles every month and improve 4 old articles (by adding pictures, videos, and more content). It also helps bring old articles out of archive burial. 

Edited by mrgoodfox, 14 June 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

So what I've been doing this year is instead of publishing 8 new articles a month (as I used to) I publish 4 new articles every month and improve 4 old articles (by adding pictures, videos, and more content). It also helps bring old articles out of archive burial.

This is a great idea.   I do a little of this.  I should do a lot more.

#9 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2053 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'm working on old articles at the moment too. One of the things I'm doing on some (which might work on your Hookah site too) is offering the information in a visual format too. I'm finding social media really likes sharing graphics. Here is a page I just revamped: http://www.therabbit.../guide_size.asp I've also had a few people tell me they are going to print it off the graphic to display/pass to other people - it works well as a poster something you wouldn't do with a text article.

Here's the old page for reference: https://web.archive..../guide_size.asp

#10 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

Wow.  That nice graphic makes a really impressive page, Tam. 

Very inviting to read.  People will learn easier and faster from the graphic.  

Nice work!

A lot of my recent improvements are coming from better photos and graphics.  I used to be afraid to spend a lot of money on photo props and specimens.  Then I discovered how much better a page can be with great photos instead of good photos and am now investing heavily in graphics.

I see that you added some adsense at the bottom of the content column and right sidebar.    Those are great locations that will not compete with your content.  I hope you are making a little money from them.

Edited by EGOL, 15 June 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Tried to read the article but gave up pretty quick. Very much put off by the idea of scaling quality. Maybe I am old fashioned, but as soon as an SEO tries to scale something they turn something good into something crap. 

#12 captainhappymeal

captainhappymeal

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

An excellent list of resources on there that Im sure I will find useful. I was getting very disheartened. Then I found the section for me, and it read like Music to my ears. So nice of them to realise that were not all massive companys with endless resources.

DIY quality content

I totally understand that we don't all work agencies or enterprise
businesses with four or five figure content budgets. Fortunately, if you
can write, make
    a spreadsheet and upload pictures then you can make remarkable content
yourself. Many of the tools for this should already be familiar and I'll
    specifically highlight the ones I hear the least about.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users