Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo
- - - - -

Fixing Local Information Via Google Mapmaker: It Works!

mapmaker local map visibility local info hours categories url phone number etc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Google mapmaker seems to work pretty danged well these days as a method to fix local listings, edit and get correct information, and have it show correctly within google search.

Now, I've only been working on this "stuff" since about 2006....and its mostly been a frustrating "mess".  There were periods when bad information showed up for a year or longer, regardless of how often and vigorously, and repeatedly one tried to get erroneous information fixed.

Mapmaker;   google dot com/mapmaker works very well and very quickly these days in my experience.  For me its a shock how quickly it is effecting accurate changes.

To use this one needs a gmail acct.  Then search on mapmaker, click on the link.  Place a business name, or address in the search box and see if google turns up "something" accurate, half way accurate etc.

If the info is showing but its wrong, go to the list of businesses on the left, click on the pencil stub link to edit, and a list of columns will come up that one can edit.  Then line by line put in the correct info.

Now all this information is reviewed.  My recent experiences are that the edits are done quickly.  The one's I'm doing are being mostly approved within a day, and the changes go up and are seen in google within the next day.    That is quick.

Some caveats:   

Its possible that for fast responses someone needs a "trust" level with past accurate edits for them to be approved quickly.  For instance I started using mapmaker several years ago in its infancy and every one of my edits was rejected.  (and I was giving accurate data).   Then I stopped for over a year.   Now its generating fast corrections on my efforts.

I had a restaurateur make some edits.  It was his first effort.  Corrections seem to be moving quickly.   

Its also possible there is still spam in mapmaker.  There was and might still be a period where "spamming editors" had infiltrated mapmaker.

The changes in mapmaker migrate to google search very quickly.   In view of my past experiences I find that astounding.

Some background:  After years of being a mess, in late 2011 Google made very large back end changes to improve google local (aka as google places, google + local, and now my business) (these googlers have an incredible identity problem).  Following those changes the new "systems"  limped along with many burps and problems.   It seems though they have smoothed out and corrected many of the interim issues.

Now I am not a google lover...by any stretch...but in this area there has been tremendous progress.

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Update:

I'm assisting a restaurateur I know.  On mid afternoon Monday I noticed the restaurant's google "maps" visibility was messed up.  The operator had closed a restaurant, relocated, opened a new somewhat different place, had a new url, a new location etc.   In the midst of these changes "things got messed up.

I notified him and as of "late Monday" semi guided him to make the initial changes.   Its mid day Thursday.   His restaurant is showing for a name search with a Map, w/ the google + link, a link for reviews, etc.  None of that was showing Monday afternoon.   The business shows with a map, et al, for a variety of logical ways you could "name the restaurant".  Before it wasn't showing in G Maps for any logical "categories'   ie things like seafood/city, pizza/city, etc.  Now it is, albeit rather low.

Really fast changes.  I'm frankly impressed.  Of course some years ago I was involved in trying to get some information fixed for an smb.  Over nine months passed between the time a googler said they'd address it...and the fix occurred.   

Nine months.  Babies were conceived and born in that time period.   This is quicker.  :D

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2594 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Yes, I too have found this very good stuff!

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

As I am putting a small brochure local/regional site together I am greatly appreciative of your helpful sharings on the matter. Way outside my usual online working parameters.

Thanks much!

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

As I am putting a small brochure local/regional site together I am greatly appreciative of your helpful sharings on the matter. Way outside my usual online working parameters.

Thanks much!

The above is related to brick and mortar businesses and not to guide's, and/or other types of descriptive sites.   

Meanwhile between earlier this week and today, Sunday, the ranking of local restaurants for this category/city has completely changed.   I just checked on some other sites I watch and categories and don't see the changes I saw for (Italian restaurant, DC) but the ranking changes in a week are crazy.   

one of the weird and dumb glitches in google's local rankings are that if you look up that category/city there are quite a few restaurants closed in the top 50.   That is a glitch that needs to be cleaned out.  

....and just in case someone or some bot from google is checking this thread out....hey google...yelp doesn't present data that dumbly with a lot of closed restaurants (that you note are closed) populating your rankings and choices.    Get those programmers to work big G!!!!!!

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

This one is a favour for a B&M. Been over a decade since I did anything but info sites. Surprising the number of differences I keep stumbling over.

#7 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

This one is a favour for a B&M. Been over a decade since I did anything but info sites. Surprising the number of differences I keep stumbling over.

Claim the smb in google + local or Google My Business (or whatever it is called--they have an incredible identity crises with this stuff having renamed it now 4 or 5 times).

Go back and check it in mapmaker.   It seems to me these days that the strongest signals and fastest into the rankings come out of mapmaker these days.   That element of what counts most for ranking in local maps has changed enormously over time.  Its still changing.   But get mapmaker right and that will help a lot.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users