#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Nobody can find them.

Expert Insights On The Future Of SEO, Part 1

To help guide you, I asked 16 trusted SEO industry experts to discuss their thoughts on the future of SEO. 

Get your ritual, drumming and storytelling camps ready men!  

:saywhat:

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2079 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

I just read the parts on that link and not all the article links.

Seems they all think/say we are driving toward speech search because the small mobile will dominate over desktops. (true) Obvious since it is hard typing anything on a 3 inch keyboard. Try to converse in this thread with that size. I'm sure I'm not alone. Google will concentrate on English conversation. The majority of the planet does not speak English and those that do have different accents. I just don't think we are there yet. Yes Star Trek has a universal translator. I use Star Trek because if you watch even the old Kirk series they all have tablets and mobile-size devices like today. Fascinating.

They all talk/see SEO from the marketing (selling) point of view and how to adjust to the mobile domination, of course, because that'$ where it'$ at.
What about informational sites and the mobile domination? I'm sure I'm not alone.

OK so how do the rest of you read the news or any article on a 320x480 screen? A hockey game, a football game, a movie? Really with that thing 4 inches from your face for a full length movie? Maybe Google glasses to the rescue.

I just went to that article again and put it in 320x480 responsive mode. There is no way I would have gotten to the end at that size. There is just not enough information for me to gobble up at a time without an interaction to scroll.

So why are there no women in SEO? I guess only they can answer

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

I wrote about it..

SEO Future Article Lacks Balance and Leadership

How many times a year do we have to see evidence of gender imbalance in a technical industry?  It’s an old fight that for most women in the SEO industry isn’t even the point.  What matters is finding leaders who make a difference.

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2079 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Did I walk into that? :o

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1605 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

I normally don't read those articles at all.  Scanned the first interview and stopped.  I had to go back a second time to even see who was sponsoring the article, hadn't paid attention to it.

I suspect the women in SEO should go back and "make a deal of it" and (figuratively)  beat on Danny Sullivan to make sure this doesn't happen again with his publication.  

There are many times and places and situations where one has to keep fighting and fighting and fighting for one's rightful place in the pecking order and line.  Good luck.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

hmmm...  as a number person, zero women and all men seems improbable.

All you have to do is go to the moz blog and scan the posts written over the past few months.   Pick out the ones that are off the charts for thumbs ups and comment action.  Women are well represented on a diversity of topics from local seo to visitor psychology to penalty solutions.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4621 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

SEO?
Who the crap cares EXCEPT those marketing such services?
They are stuck in their little Google (because by search they really mean wink wink Google) centric world.
Frankly, my handy dandy rule of thumb as to the actual abilities of search marketers is the mention ratio of Google to other SEs per paragraph.

I'm sick of reading the same old regurgitated fodder given a topical spin that passes for Google optimisation. Go back over the years...this is what passes for the cellulite edition in women's magazines - a yearly republishing of the same content.

Marketing is far far more than Google. Than search. But then I guess it's better to be a big frog in a small pond...

As to women, in search, in marketing, in webdev...they are there; just not so loudly self-promoting. And often far far better than many/most their male counterparts. When the absolute numbers are smaller and quieter it can make the field look even more tilted than it is. I'd rather see SEOs specifically rated as to actual competence - that would lose at least 90% of the guys currently squawking.

Note: not speaking to those in the 'study' although some of them too are more bark than bite.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2544 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

It must be scary working in an industry that is basically being kiled off. I feel sorry for the poor SEOs. Thankfully there is marketing. Many of these are just Google trolls. which is fine if it keeps them where they need to be.

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4396 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

One of the only really good SEOs that I have met is a woman and she is still working, as far as I am aware. Never met any of those mentioned in the article.

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

LOL  I wrote my feelings prompted by the situation that article series presented hoping that maybe somebody understood what I was trying to say about the lack of leadership in the SEO industry.  

I'm glad I'm not an SEO anymore. It gets more difficult as time goes on to watch the SEO circus of back slapping heroes kissing up to each other.

Edited by cre8pc, 02 September 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#11 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2544 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

If it keeps their bread on the table

#12 gabs

gabs

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

Bit off topic but..... With no offence to the list of "experts" which are SEO's ? 

Less than half I can spot are SEO's the rest just write about it and copy paste press releases(sorry very cynical) 

So isn't the REAL question "why aren't more woman reporting about SEO and speaking at conferences and NOT doing SEO so you can get on the list?"  

rant over ;)

Edited by gabs, 03 September 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

"why aren't more woman reporting about SEO and speaking at conferences and NOT doing SEO so you can get on the list?" 

Loaded question!

Women who have been SEO reporters have come and gone.  They left because they were ridiculed for not being "real" SEO's.    The early part of my own career was as an SEO Reporter, but to be credible, I also had to know the profession and so I found ways to be a teacher too.  These very forums started out as a "reporting" venue, for sharing news and knowledge.  Reporting on an industry doesn't get writers into conferences.

There are so many women in the SEO industry.  They are everywhere and there are more and more of them entering the field. I don't see many of them standing on mountain tops trying to draw attention to themselves.  That, it would seem, is what the men in SEO are better at.

Conferences are not free.  If you happen to work for a company that has a budget to send people to conferences, this gets people there.  Pitching is difficult.  There are barriers to getting into conferences, from the expense to the lack of time available.  A person is either at a conference speaking, networking and traveling or they are working, raising families and keeping up with home commitments that make travel difficult.  I was frustrated when I was a single working mom, who wanted to speak but I not only could not afford the expenses, I needed to be here to take care of the kids.  I had no family nearby.  I heard this often, from women in SEO who were also the caregivers and unable to travel.

I found it fascinating to see the list of nominees for the US Search Awards.  New names, new companies...

I believe that opportunities exist in creative ways to get to know the thinkers and doers out there.  Those are the people I want to hear more about!

#14 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Yet another entry into the discussion from MOZ.

Ways to Proactively Welcome Women Into Online Marketing

It is long.  When I first saw it, the number of thumbs up and down were the same.  Why would someone thumbs down this article, which was researched and not an emo piece?

It focuses a lot on how to treat women in the industry.  However, the advice could be said for life, not just the marketing field.  Women are ALWAYS judged by how they look.  Adult women rarely like being called a girl.  

I enjoyed some of her data sections.

Recently, our own Rand Fishkin took a close examination of his followers and those he followed back, in a concerted effort to follow more women on Twitter. Rand was pretty shocked to learn how many more male followers he had than female, and he was perhaps more shocked about my followers, given that my Twitter bio identifies me as a feminist and I tweet more about social justice than online marketing.

Let's also look at a cautionary tale of what can happen when brands try to be more inclusive toward women: the pinkification of the market.

I know this will NOT happen.

If you're a white man asked to speak as an industry expert, it's time to ask who else is being featured or speaking. Turn down engagements that only have male voices. Ask more of authors and conference runners. 

Nobody should be asked to step aside when they see an imbalance.  

My feeling is that the power plays start at the top and true leadership won't create these situations to begin with.This is, for me, the crux of the situation and why we keep the same eruptions of articles about the lack of women in tech.  They are most assuredly there.  Funnily enough, I found myself not liking many of the women speakers at a Women in Tech conference I attended in the Spring because they were control freaks out for their own fame and power.

The industry needs leaders who create opportunities rather than ways to divide and conquer.

#15 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

I can't understand why so many people are giving her post the thumbs-down.    The only thing that I can remember getting more thumbs down is Rand's Fashion Hacks Video... and I can understand why on that one.

#16 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13553 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:18 AM

I subscribed to the comments after I left mine and the sexism and close minded responses amaze me.  Some people don't think the post is appropriate for MOZ.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users