• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1029 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Is it possible to track conversions of site visitors who fill out a form on the webpage? The form is being published from a different URL displayed using iFrame.

#2 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:52 AM

When you say "Different URL" - is it on your server? or a remote server? If it's the latter, then probably not really.

Well, that's not really the case. The correct answer if it is the latter case: not very easily, but you could, with some AJAX and Javascript trickery, but that COULD cause issues with your usage agreement with the remote site that is handling the form.

G.

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2582 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

Let's say Iframe hole in your website:

http://www.mediapost...mpressions.html

Nuts!!

#4 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1029 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

Let's say Iframe hole in your website:

http://www.mediapost...mpressions.html

Nuts!!

That's Nuts. YouTube's suggested form of embedding is iFrames too. 

When you say "Different URL" - is it on your server? or a remote server? If it's the latter, then probably not really.

Well, that's not really the case. The correct answer if it is the latter case: not very easily, but you could, with some AJAX and Javascript trickery, but that COULD cause issues with your usage agreement with the remote site that is handling the form.

G.

Yes, the Different URL is on my own server.

I host a number of forms on website A. Then I display those forms on about 10 different websites (to gather leads). Each of those 10 websites have their own unique forms. So I'm creating a unique Thank You page for each of those forms and will put my conversion tracking code there. I believe Adwords 'can' track those conversions even if the domain URL of the site - that the Adwords visitor is sent to, is different than the domain URL Of the page that the conversion tracking code is triggered. 

#5 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

I guess I don't understand, then... you know what form got submitted, so you know what site the conversion came from, no?

#6 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1029 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

I guess I don't understand, then... you know what form got submitted, so you know what site the conversion came from, no?

yes but the visitors start their session from Domain #1 and end it at the Thank You page on Domain #2. 

#7 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

The visitors start on Domain #1 and fill out the form for Domain #1 so when the Domain #1 form gets submitted, you count them as a conversion from Domain #1. Yeah? Or am I still missing something?

#8 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1029 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

The visitors start on Domain #1 and fill out the form for Domain #1 so when the Domain #1 form gets submitted, you count them as a conversion from Domain #1. Yeah? Or am I still missing something?

Visitors start at Domain#1, they fill out a form that is displayed using iFrmae (from Domain #2) and click submit. Once the form is submitted they are still on Domain#1 but the iFrame has loaded with the Thank You page (instead of the form)

I think i have the Adwords conversion tracking down. Adwords Conversion Tracking works across domains so I can just put the code inside the Thank You page (from Domain#2).

That's for tracking Adwords conversions (done inside the Adwords Client Center). I also want to track conversions from my non-Adwords traffic. That needs to be done inside Google Analytics. I can't figure out how to do this part now.

This is what I've found so far: https://support.goog...r/1034342?hl=en

Its proving more complicated than I was hoping for though 

#9 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6327 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

Oooohhhhhhhhhh. Yeah.

Step one - you need to say you are using Google to track things. Most sales/lead generation software has its own tracking system in it and you wouldn't use Google tracking for something like that.

Okay. That example page you gave looks pretty straightforward, though - set up Google analytics on both domains - then make the changes it shows in red. The Domain #1 code tells it to track across to domain 2 and the domain #2 code tells it to allow tracking from domain 1.

It still seems to me that regular Google anaylitics code on the Thank-you page would do it, though. If you have a hit on Domain #1's thank you page, it's a conversion from domain #1 and so on.

G.

#10 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2582 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Cross domain tracking and i would fire an event on the thankyou page just to he sure!

#11 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1029 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Oooohhhhhhhhhh. Yeah.

Step one - you need to say you are using Google to track things. Most sales/lead generation software has its own tracking system in it and you wouldn't use Google tracking for something like that.

Okay. That example page you gave looks pretty straightforward, though - set up Google analytics on both domains - then make the changes it shows in red. The Domain #1 code tells it to track across to domain 2 and the domain #2 code tells it to allow tracking from domain 1.

It still seems to me that regular Google anaylitics code on the Thank-you page would do it, though. If you have a hit on Domain #1's thank you page, it's a conversion from domain #1 and so on.

G.

Yes, that page requires me to use the same Analytics Property for both domains. I might be able to put Analytics code on domain #2 (one for the cross-domain tracking and one for normal tracking of that site's traffic). 

Cross domain tracking and i would fire an event on the thankyou page just to he sure!

Do events work across domains though?

Edited by mrgoodfox, 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#12 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2582 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

Cross domain tracking is like havpng 2 domains in one account, it doesnt matter!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users