• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

I know nothing about websites called Wiki sites other than they provide information on a specific topic.  (Not Wikipedia)

I'd be interested in learning more about them and seeing examples.

Please teach me  :infinite-banana:

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2594 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

Warm glow webspam dayze!

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2152 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

The above and

http://www.clickonf5...oftware-engine/

Their top 2

MediaWiki http://www.mediawiki.../wiki/MediaWiki
Used by Wikipedia, this is nearly a 44 MB wiki software package available in more than 300 languages. It is released under GPL, and written in PHP.

DokuWiki http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki
It is a well documented, PHP based, highly customizable and fully extensible wiki software platform available. The best part is “It requires no databases!!!”. All the data is stored in plain text files. It is very popular and used by many sites.

#4 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6331 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

Almost every game site has a wiki. For example - a few weeks you posted about the minecraft sale... so here's the one for minecraft:

http://minecraft.gam.../Minecraft_Wiki

Each brand of wiki is slightly different but in general, wiki markup is similar enough to HTML that it isn't too confusing when you are looking at the docs, but different enough that you'll absolutely almost never guess what the correct markup is for any given thing. lol

http://en.wikipedia....elp:Wiki_markup

(The "Links and URL's" section is the most useful here - because generally you want to link key worlds to their corresponding wiki page on your wiki.)

An interesting aspect of a wiki is if you do Kim is [[cool]]. And a page called "cool" doesn't exist, the wiki automatically creates it and allows the entry to be created (and the link on your originating page will usually show red or some other "alert" color to indicate that there isn't actually any info there - yet. Depending upon how the wiki is set up, you make edits to a page and they may go live immediately, or the may go live once moderated. I know some also have a "pending" flag and other users can vote yay or nay and once a certain criteria is met, it updates. There are tons of different rules on how they are managed, though.

What specifically do you want to know about them?

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2594 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

Here are some footprints I found in my archive (untested)

inurl:wiki/index.php
inurl:/wiki/User:
inurl:/TikiWiki/
inurl:/tiki-index.php?

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13624 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

My hubby is always talking about making one and I pretend to know what he's talking about  :dazed:

And, maybe it is something I could do if I found a need for it.  What got me going is a blog post by Elegant Themes on wiki plug-ins for WordPress.

So yeah.  Teaching me stuff  B:)

THANKS!

#7 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1034 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:31 PM

I've had a hookah website for a long time. My goal has (had) always been to have an extensive knowledgebase about hookahs, tips, reviews, guides, etc. Until about two years ago I had most of our articles on Media Wiki (one of the more well known wiki platforms). 

Long story short, I didn't like it. I moved everything to WordPress and it works great. Having good articles, categorizing them well, and inner linking them together has been the most important reason for our success so far. www.hookah.org

The reason I didn't like Media Wiki was spam, lack of large support community (which meant expensive development costs) and not-standard formats. Everyone knows how to work with WordPress but thats not true for platforms like Media Wiki.

#8 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6331 posts

Posted Today, 03:08 AM

Kim - back in the olden days, we had that Glossary System on here that tied into the cre8.net site. In theory, that was sort of a simplified wiki. We'd do things like:

Getting started in [glossary=SEO]SEO[/glossary] is fun.

That would make a mouseover give a short popup definition of the term. Nowadays, there are even glossary plugins for wordpress that will automatically use string matching to find every instance of "SEO" in every blog post and link to that entry and to do the popover/link to the long definition. I think Ammon and Dave and I were the only people who remembered to use that ever (and even then, we'd forget at least half the time) but it was a cool feature - especially in some of the "new kids" threads and topics.

I would think you would be better served just creating a glossary that people can refer to. I mean, how do I know that UX is important if I don't even know what the heck it is?!?!?! ;) And then of course, you build a quick-link generator so people can quickly build a popup/link to your glossary from their own web page. And maybe make a Wordpress plugin that automatically parses content to automatically link to your site. You know, because linking is cool.

G.

G.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users