• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4644 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

Launching in (summer) 2015: A Certificate Authority to Encrypt the Entire Web by Peter Eckersley, Electronic Frontier Foundation, 18-November-2014.

Today EFF is pleased to announce Let’s Encrypt, a new certificate authority (CA) initiative that we have put together with Mozilla, Cisco, Akamai, IdenTrust, and researchers at the University of Michigan that aims to clear the remaining roadblocks to transition the Web from HTTP to HTTPS.

Although the HTTP protocol has been hugely successful, it is inherently insecure.
With a launch scheduled for summer 2015, the Let’s Encrypt CA will automatically issue and manage free certificates for any website that needs them. Switching a webserver from HTTP to HTTPS with this CA will be as easy as issuing one command, or clicking one button.
In our tests, it typically takes a web developer 1-3 hours to enable encryption for the first time. The Let’s Encrypt project is aiming to fix that by reducing setup time to 20-30 seconds.
Let’s Encrypt will employ a number of new technologies to manage secure automated verification of domains and issuance of certificates.
The Let’s Encrypt CA will be operated by a new non-profit organization called the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG). EFF helped to put together this initiative with Mozilla and the University of Michigan, and it has been joined for launch by partners...

*** Let’s Encrypt ***
---Let’s Encrypt: Delivering SSL/TLS Everywhere by Josh Aas, 18-November-2014.

The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:

*  Free: Anyone who owns a domain can get a certificate validated for that domain at zero cost.
*  Automatic: The entire enrollment process for certificates occurs painlessly during the server’s native installation or configuration process, while renewal occurs automatically in the background.
* Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for implementing modern security techniques and best practices.
* Transparent: All records of certificate issuance and revocation will be available to anyone who wishes to inspect them.
* Open: The automated issuance and renewal protocol will be an open standard and as much of the software as possible will be open source.
* Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the entire community, beyond the control of any one organization.

Further reading:
* Let’s Encrypt: Bringing HTTPS to Every Web Site by J. Alex Halderman, Freedom to Tinker, 18-November-2014.
* Launching in 2015: A Certificate Authority to Encrypt the Entire Web by mariusz79, Hacker News, 18-November-2014.
Note: hundreds of comments already

Edited by iamlost, 21 November 2014 - 04:45 PM.
Corrected date

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2192 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

In the past as as I played around with keys and stuff I had realised how simple it was to generate public/private keys and be your own "Certificate Authority" except getting the world to recognise you and the cost of course.

Betya a lot of the CA mafia will not be too happy with this.

NOW THE CONSPIRACY THEORY KICKS IN. (Of course you had to see this coming)

What a perfect thing for some black-op agency to be involved in. Arms length or two away of course. Since it will be "free" many will subscribe.

If I were an agency with a secret agenda this is what I would do also along with supplying the best anonymisers and TOR servers/clients on the Internet. It would allow me to see everything and others (nudge, nudge, wink, wink you know who they are) to see nothing. Google and Cisco are involved and they are everywhere even if you never heard of Cisco.

Hmmm wonder if the Chinese will jump on the bandwagon. <_< Nah! They will just hack in.

Edited by bobbb, 21 November 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5500 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

This seems like a good thing.

I decided not to touch https on my publishing sites because a lot of people say that Adsense has a problem sending good ads.

So, I am sitting on the fence for an unknown amount of time.

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2192 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

If for nothing else it is good to break verisign's stranglehold hold on this.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users