• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13681 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

I'm feeling partly serious and partly goofy asking this because most of the time I dislike predicting type of articles...but the membership here are both very smart and savvy and also know how to have fun with a topic, so here we go.

For whatever industry you work in, whether it is SEO, web design, social marketing, usability and everything related and in-between, what do you imagine 2015 to be like?

For me, I figure I will continue my mission of making websites work for all people while also being findable in search engines.  Because just doing one of those things, like SEO, would bore me and I have to make everything super complicated  :emo_gavel:  :emo_gavel: .  I would like to think that Google will get some major smack-down by Yahoo! and Bing because I miss the old days when there were OTHER search engines to play with.  

I'd like to stay in touch with all of you too, no matter what IMN decides to do with these forums and whether or not they keep me.  A member just got me into Ello.  Perhaps I can create a ruckus there.  

Finally, I think the stupid wall that separates usability and SEO will continue to crumble.  It's taken YEARS for people to get what I've been doing and writing about since 2001.  I need to write my book.

What about you all?   :wavey:

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1717 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

In 2015 I will continue to watch the hometown professional (american) football team,  the Washington Skins or Washington Reds or Washington Redskins(a controversial name) continue to sink lower and ever lower.  Now firmly established as the worst franchise in all of professional sports, I anticipate they will sink still lower and lower.  

Its as if the commander of the submarine, said..."damn the mud--- dive dive dive--- lower still".   One who has watched this franchise over time cannot conceive how a franchise could get worse....but this team seems to find new ways to do so...sometimes on a daily basis.

Besides that I'll practice a little SEO.

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

2015 will probably see me continue to cling on to a little hope and just about keep my head above water for long enough to fail again.

#4 Geoffjack

Geoffjack

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:30 AM

I will do some certification course on 2015 and add more weight-age to my profile. 

#5 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6351 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:52 AM

This isn't so much about what I am going to be doing (because I, like Kim, just continue my mission regardless of what's going on outside).

2015 is really going to be the year where things start to turn around again - in all areas of tech. For example, we've spent the last 3 decades trying to make TV's flatter and flatter. This year, it's all going to be bringing back some depth. In electronics, we've been going smaller and smaller and smaller, but this year is going to mark the trend to start going bigger again. We've already started to see the top-of-the-line phones going this route - trying to find a balance between portability and a screen size that you can actually work with. Things are going to kick into high gear now and by the end of this year we're going to see more "docking station" type things - being able to project our phone screen onto our Smart TV screen and having a proper keyboard that we can whip out in the house or car to type out texts and messages with something other than our thumbs.

Though it will take a few more years, interface design is going to be trickier than ever. In addition to standard mouse/keyboard and/or touchscreen interfaces, we're going to have dual display situations where one screen shows things and the other acts as your interface. One screen will act as the keyboard and mouse, but it will be an entirely different screen that outputs the results of your controls.

#6 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2912 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Well 2014 was the year of "Finally Sorting Out My Sock Drawer" - that was last weekend - finally.

I haven't quite got to grips with the concept of another year looming up in a few weeks time!

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5520 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

In 2009 I started a niche retail site selling a line of hobby-type products.  Stuff that I have used myself and know a bit about.  Things went well and I was on the first page of Google relatively quickly and was surprised at the immediate sales.  Also on the first page of Google were two large info sites, Amazon and a few other niche vendors who ran business that focused on this line of products and who had personal expertise at using them.  Bidding on PPC were a few niche businesses who knew something about their products.

Today, have things changed!   Now the two large info sites are still there.  Amazon, ebay, and wikipedia are there.  But the niche vendors are gone.  The other vendors on that page sell these niche products like commodities and probably don't know a damn thing about 'em and the people who work there have probably never used  one.   The PPC ads are full of megastores selling the cheapest crap that is so bad that I will not sell it out of fear of returns and complaints.    Mom and pop have been Penguined, Pandaed and Buttkicked.    MegaRetailers  selling junk merchandise like rotten potatoes are rolling along like tanks.

Ten years ago, I thought that the internet was going to be a place where I could search for "somekindof widget" and the first page of the search engine would contain links to a wonderful village of shops where enthusiastic people with expertise about their product had a gallery of stuff for sale and a treasury of tips and articles about how to use them.

What went wrong?

What I am going to do?  I have already stocked the site with more content than all of my retail competitors and the manufacturers combined.  I might be the only retail site near the top of the SERPs where people can actually ask a question and get a carefully considered answer about the products.  That has earned a rank in the SERPs at about #4 or #5.  There isn't a lot left to publish without stocking the site with egghead articles.  I guess my role is to be tech support for all of the people who buy from amazon, walmart,  target, and all of the other sites who sell pieces of junk and don't know a damn thing about the products.  Heck, you can't even find a email address or a phone number of their  sites to send them a question.  You only get people who are glad to take your order.

Edited by EGOL, 11 December 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#8 seosmarty

seosmarty

Dream Catcher

• Site Administrators
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

I am really hoping to write a book... I've written so much and it's all scattered around the web. I've been meaning to write a book for a few years and I think I just need to do that to avoid that "what if" feeling

Wish me luck :)

Edited by seosmarty, 11 December 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#9 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

I'll be doing as I've done in 2010, 11,12,13 and 14. Drinkin beer and riding my hog.

I now get my government benefits...which I've paid in over the years..so the internet stuff is just to keep me entertained.

oh and good luck marty :)

Edited by test-ok, 12 December 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#10 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2658 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

Hoping that italy does a spain on g news for one:http://www.zdnet.com...pay-publishers/

#11 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4662 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

What I'm doing in 2015. Well there is a current 187 page rolling business plan (not including appendices)...
Not what you wanted? :D

* continue translating English language sites to Chinese.
* go live with more translated sites.
* continue Chinese advertising, affiliate pre-sell, etc. testing.

* continue bot defence testing.
* continue site marketing by unconventionally conventional means.
* increase advertising space rates.

* revise existing apps.
---especially to allow simple easy user modification/personalisation while retaining [sic] privacy.
* update (see above) complete and go live with remaining planned apps.
* continue visitor (x)device 'fingerprinting' ID testing and marketing.

* buy ASA (acetylsalicylic acid) stock and continue researching IPv6 and web (I18n) Internationalisation.
* continue researching/testing 'invisible' content tagging.
* continue copyright infringement efforts and costs recovery.

* buy more ASA stock and tackle learning Objective C++.
* understand and learn to use SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics).
* continue learning JavaScript and PHP

Good thing I'm semi-retired! Else I might be working. A lot. More.
We surely do live in interesting times.

#12 advent

advent

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

try to be a professional at my profession, plan to meet my school, college mate. would like to buy a new vehicle and have to spend some time with my parents lot so on......

Edited by advent, 16 December 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#13 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2236 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Drinkin beer and riding my hog.

At the same time? :)

#14 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2658 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

2015 is going to be one of the biggest years in online travel of the past 10 years, and I intend to put my company right at the centre of those changes.

G.

#15 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1717 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

In 2009 I started a niche retail site selling a line of hobby-type products.  Stuff that I have used myself and know a bit about.  Things went well and I was on the first page of Google relatively quickly and was surprised at the immediate sales.  Also on the first page of Google were two large info sites, Amazon and a few other niche vendors who ran business that focused on this line of products and who had personal expertise at using them.  Bidding on PPC were a few niche businesses who knew something about their products.

Today, have things changed!   Now the two large info sites are still there.  Amazon, ebay, and wikipedia are there.  But the niche vendors are gone.  The other vendors on that page sell these niche products like commodities and probably don't know a damn thing about 'em and the people who work there have probably never used  one.   The PPC ads are full of megastores selling the cheapest crap that is so bad that I will not sell it out of fear of returns and complaints.    Mom and pop have been Penguined, Pandaed and Buttkicked.    MegaRetailers  selling junk merchandise like rotten potatoes are rolling along like tanks.

Ten years ago, I thought that the internet was going to be a place where I could search for "somekindof widget" and the first page of the search engine would contain links to a wonderful village of shops where enthusiastic people with expertise about their product had a gallery of stuff for sale and a treasury of tips and articles about how to use them.

What went wrong?

What I am going to do?  I have already stocked the site with more content than all of my retail competitors and the manufacturers combined.  I might be the only retail site near the top of the SERPs where people can actually ask a question and get a carefully considered answer about the products.  That has earned a rank in the SERPs at about #4 or #5.  There isn't a lot left to publish without stocking the site with egghead articles.  I guess my role is to be tech support for all of the people who buy from amazon, walmart,  target, and all of the other sites who sell pieces of junk and don't know a damn thing about the products.  Heck, you can't even find a email address or a phone number of their  sites to send them a question.  You only get people who are glad to take your order.

This is an interesting historical perspective.

#16 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13681 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

How come travel will be so big?

#17 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5520 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

How come travel will be so big?

Lots of reasons...   People in Spain will go to Portugal or France a couple times per week to read the news.   Everybody in Cuba will be moving to Florida.  Every fat cat in the USA will fly to Cuba for cigars.  All of the old hippies with be takin' MJ vacations.   Probably the main reason is that the price of oil has dropped and jet fares and uber rates should follow.

Edited by EGOL, 17 December 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#18 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:56 AM

Google will launch a proper travel product and OTAs will start getting shafted by them. Tech costs will allow hotels compete on same terms, in the EU there will be more regulation about fixed rates and contractual terms, and of course I will be helping a few of these hotels to clean up.

#19 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Work with psychedelic drugs (namely MDMA) that actually help instead of paying Big Pharma for worthless antidepressants...and hanging out on the darkweb.

You may actually see the real me in 2015. I haven't seen him in 38 years

#20 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1717 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

hm....travel, cigars, mj holidays, psychedelic drugs....my question-->  does somebody think 2015 will be the '60's????

#21 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13681 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

does somebody think 2015 will be the '60's???

History has a way of repeating itself.  Should I send up pictures of me and my suede fringe coats and fringe boots, hippie bag, hippie headband....yup.  I don't think I ever left that time, with the brief exception of being a punk rocker in the 80's where I had a crew cut and danced all night in punk bars.

Oh, and I used to twirl around at Grateful Dead concerts in my tie died clothes and bangles on my ankles but even my kids don't believe those stories.... :dazed:  :saywhat:

#22 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5520 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 AM

I had a crew cut and danced all night in punk bars.

Got any pics to share?

#23 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13681 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

I was too poor to own a camera.  There was one picture of me when my hair was growing out that was used when I was Editor in Chief of my college newspaper but its packed away somewhere.  I still remember me and my friends crammed into a car (before seatbelts), all decked out with crazy clothes and smelling like cheap perfume.  

You wouldn't believe the stories I have from my free spirit days.  The greatest nights ever were on dance floors!

#24 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2658 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:33 PM

I spun records in fron of crowds up to 2.5k in the. 90s!

#25 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 376 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:04 PM

As long as we're going back...anyone remember the 70's? 'Incense and peppermints' that's when times were good..the drugs back then were so good I don't remember any of the 80's, for that matter not much of the 90's either. 

all decked out with crazy clothes and smelling like cheap perfume.

reminds me of turtle necks and big donkey bell bottoms. 

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users