• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ambassador

ambassador

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

This post pertains to an extant, three page, static HTML website.

Which is generaly considered to be easier - Square or Paypal - when the goal is to sell one [1] single tangible item via the website, and simply cutting and pasting a bit of code into the associated HTML web page is the desired way to make the website receive credit card (e.g., Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover) payments?

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13722 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

I'm taking a guess at PayPal.  I don't know what Square is.

#3 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Most of the "one fee no credit check online accounts" are more or less similar in that they provide you with code that is embedded in your site so when the customer clicks a button to buy they are taken to a place to enter the payment info and hopefully the money eventually gets into your bank account.

I have experience with stripe, paypal, square and our own merchant account.
We like the merchant account as it works with our cart and gives our customers confidence and does not take the customer to another site.
It also gives us way more options to offer the customers such as item color, discounts, shipping etc.

When using the other services like stripe, paypal or square, the customer is usually taken away from your site to a secure area where they complete the transaction.  An extra weird step.  Then they are taken back to your site.
I believe you can get a paypal setup where you keep them on the site but you pay extra.
I prefer square and stripe as they do not take so long to pay as paypal and I don't like the way paypal can freeze your account if a customer makes a complaint, legitimate or not and before any notification.

That said I use paypal for ebay and that is it.
We use square card swiper or our "knuckle buster" when at shows with a smart phone or tablet for face to face sales.
As a matter of fact we have used square for rummage sales.  I was surprised at the number of people who were happy to pay with a card.
Of course the down side is when someone pays with a card there is a money trail.

Even if you are only selling one item a bonifide merchant account may be an option.

Remember what ever your method, your customers will appreciate a secure site.
Put the buy button where they can see it.

Be clear about all charges and shipping and have a written policy on terms of service including all fees, return info and any other customer service details that spells out what is expected from the customer and seller. Looks more professional and can serve to prevent misunderstandings.

#4 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6362 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

I mostly agree with Tommr here. The point of clarification I would make is expected volume - and volume over time. I use paypal for online payments of all kinds because I only pay when I use it. I can go months without a single transaction, and then I can have 10 in a month. I pay more (than I would if I had a regular merchant account) on that 10 transaction month, but I pay nothing on the zero months. So it comes down to how many sales (regardless of number of products) you expect to have over the next year (and possibly beyond). Take some time and do the math.

Keep in mind, too, that it's not just a merchant account that you need - you also need a payment gateway to process the online sale through that merchant account. They are two different things and each bear their own cost. This is why Paypal is popular with smaller sites and contractors (and ebay sellers, etc) - because it serves as both the merchant account and payment gateway all in one. You also need your own site to be under a secure certificate, too - whereas with Paypal, no info is entered until you are on their secure site.

For the various reasons Tommr pointed out (feeling of security, not needing to hand off visibly to another site, and all of those things) a full blown payment gateway/merchant account is the way to go, but you don't want that go end up costing you more than about 20-25%. And that number needs to come down a bit if your product requires some customer support and that sort of thing. (Basically, that 20-25% is the cost you would expect to process a transaction in a normal business - from all your merchant account stuff to paying the cashier/sales person). If you can safely say that the costs of delivering the product from site to end of checkout is under 25% total, then it's probably worth the merchant account. More volume means that this percentage comes down, and conversion rates will definitely improve if you can do it. 

If that is all too much and you go for the choice of Square or Paypal - I'd pick PayPal if only because of familiarity. 50% of the people who posted so far never heard of square. Everyone who has ever bought something on the web has certainly at least heard of Paypal. (Paypal Pro Tip Make sure your email address associated with Paypal is to a real domain and not a gmail or yahoo or other similar address. It lends to YOUR legitimacy when the customer sees that and will help conversions).

G.

#5 ambassador

ambassador

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Regarding "... I have experience with ... square ..." - did this experience entail pasting a "Buy it Now" type of button code into an existing HTML page?  If it did, could you reference how the Square button code was obtained and implemented?

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2695 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hey is this an xrumer database reply funtion? I never got that to work!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users