• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13722 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

As soon as I saw this I thought of iamlost and the brainiacs here at Cre8.  :infinite-banana:

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt: "The Internet Will Disappear"

Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt on Thursday predicted the end of the Internet as we know it.

At the end of a panel at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where his comments were webcast, he was asked for his prediction on the future of the web. “I will answer very simply that the Internet will disappear,” Schmidt said.

Sandberg and Schmidt lauded the Internet as an important way to give more people in the world a voice. Currently, only 40 percent of people have Internet access, the Facebook COO said, adding that any growth in reach helps extend people’s voice and increase economic opportunity. “I’m a huge optimist,” she said about her outlook for the industry. “Imagine what we can do” once the world gets to 50 percent, 60 percent and more in terms of Internet penetration.

It's interesting to me that these leaders in the tech world have a totally different outlook than those who are abandoning tech to move off the grid and live much simpler lives. 

I'm not convinced the human-internet experiment is going to be the future that everyone adopts.  There's a LOT of push back on how the Internet is used these days.

What do you think?

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2695 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Citizen Four.

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4696 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

You need to know your cultural references...

The most profound technologies are those that disappear. They weave themselves into the fabric of everyday life until they are indistinguishable from it.

The Computer for the 21st Century by Mark Weiser, Scientific American, 1991.

#4 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6362 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

I don't think it is so much about people leaving the tech grid - or anything like that. The "40%" number is global. In North America there is 88% saturation already. Interestingly enough, there are 40% of the world with Internet Access AND 40% of the world with access to toilets. I suspect that the would opt for a toilet before wifi. It'll be a while.

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2290 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Mainly, toilets dispose of urine and feces without us ever laying a finger on either.

I knew this before but someone else is saying it . Have no stats on how much of the world has no access to clean drinking water but we have so much of it we actually pee and poop in water that most of the world would use to drink from.

Hmmm what has this do do with the topic??

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2290 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

A bit more on topic:

IBM Reveals Proof of Concept for Blockchain-Powered Internet of Things

http://www.coindesk....nternet-things/

Schmidt says the "Internet as we know it". As we know it now we are still doing our thinking making our decisions.

We will get so use to machines doing everything for us and making our decisions we may be the ones to [virtually] disappear.

According to the paper, a Samsung W9000 washing machine reconfigured to work within the ADEPT system uses smart contracts to issue commands to a detergent retailer in order to receive new supplies. These contracts give the device the ability to pay for the order itself and later receive word from the retailer that the detergent has been paid for and shipped.

Mark Weise's thoughts in The Computer for the 21st Century take for granted that Asimov's three laws are/will be implemented or some sort of variation thereof. He's wrong. They will not.

Edited by bobbb, 23 January 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13722 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

I think the future will be a combination of people who can communicate telepathically and don't need the Internet and those who need tech and those who just want everybody to shut up  :dazed:

#8 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2290 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

everybody to shut up

Especially computers.

telepathically

Hmmm! Nice but how to keep people out of your thoughts?

#9 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt on Thursday predicted the end of the Internet as we know it.

The key here is as we know it.

When i first got on the web it was email, ftp, gopher and irc. Now it's the www, which does all those previous things, plus many more, and does them better. It has changed as I know it.

I'm sure what my kids now know as the internet will change as they know it too.

#10 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4473 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

He just meant that we will no longer see it as something strange or new. In the same way that central heating and radio have "vanished". They are all obviously still there, its just that they are taken for granted and nobody notices them any more.

Although, it is unlikely all the bloggers will stop banging on about it.

#11 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13722 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

I recently read a book that takes place far in our future, in the 3300's and up.  Humans could clone themselves and download their memories into databases so there bodies had access to them, as they "lived" for very long times.  The main character is over 1000 years old!

Humans were part like us and part computer.  We could communicate telepathically but also put up shields so that our thoughts were guarded from outsiders.  We had access to any information instantly and created new worlds on various planets so that we could live where we felt the most comfortable.  So some religions had their own planet.  Some asteroids were turned into land for just growing food.

Of course, Earth was no longer inhabitable, since we abused it.  No amount of technology seems to make us any wiser.

#12 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2290 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

place far in our future, in the 3300's and up

They are way past Star Trek.

#13 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2290 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

In the same way that central heating and radio have "vanished". They are all obviously still there, its just that they are taken for granted
and nobody notices them any more.

I think he sees more than that.

“It will be part of your presence all the time. Imagine you walk into a room, and the room is dynamic. And with your permission and all of that, you are interacting with the things going on in the room.”

Something tells me they won't bother with "your permission". They will be doing things by themselves. <sarcasm>For you of course</sarcasm>

The link I gave above (IBM) is probably more like it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users