• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

I am in the midst of a total site re do.

Currently I have 3 separate blogs, 3 separate topics, currently dormant as I have not had time to write, and I would link to get them back in service with regular posts.
They now are set up in 3 separate directories, under one domain, with each directory having its own separate WordPress install.

For the new redesign I was trying to decide if I should keep the separate directories or use sub-directories for the individual blog installs.

Any thoughts?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5639 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

There is nothing wrong with three topic areas for blogging.

You might be able to accomplish it with a single wordpress install.  The topic areas would then be segregated using "categories".

I would not use subdirectories because they can be treated as a separate domain.  It is better to have all of that content on your primary domain so all of the authority and popularity is merged.

If you decide to make a change, it is important to use 301 redirects if your URLs change, but you might be able to do it without changing the URLs.

#3 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, I have the new install set up with categories, as opposed to separate installs on the site I am junking but I was not exactly happy with the way it displayed the categories in the sidebar.
Maybe I am getting distracted with the fine details.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5639 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

On my sites, I don't hesitate to hand-code the sidebar to get it exactly the way that I want it.

#5 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

I agree with E on one WP install. Also keep in mind if you're going to hand code or change/add code to the core [the Editor link under Appearance] it's best to create a child theme of whatever theme you're using. Otherwise your changes can be lost in WP updates.

#6 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

I use a sidebar plugin and I can insert code or html or a variety of other things like categories, calendars, search and so on.
Then I have the choice of which sidebar to use when I create a page or post.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users