• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13848 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

I was wondering if any of you have noticed trends or changes in what we need to know how to do regarding website and software development, design, testing and marketing.

My husband's field, software performance testing, has changed so much he barely recognizes it anymore.  For example, most software testing is automated, which is nothing new, but as the testing software advances, it doesn't seem to need humans so much.  He has stories to tell about how user experience and usability testing remain out of the process.  Developers are coders, not human factors trained.  Companies using Agile don't add UX and UCD into the process.  So, in the end, what they launch still sucks.

The other factor they deal with is companies outsourcing outside the USA for work to cut costs.

I went back to the books.  The past several months have reminded me of 20 years ago when I taught myself website design and all things Internet.  A few things began to happen in the past year with my work and career.  The most hurtful is the expectation that my 20 years of work experience don't count.  A degree or certification does, so I am grabbing courses and getting the piece of paper to prove my worth.

Companies don't want usability audits either.  Usability, accessibility, user centered design practices, etc. are done in-house now.  So, in the process of adapting and putting myself out there for hire instead of consulting, I learned that I had to not only have a formal education, but needed to know how to code Bootstrap, CSS3, HTML5, JavaScript, PHP and learn the new software for design and development that goes with that. I already know enough code but these companies want to see portfolios.  All my work is proprietary and contract. Guarded for life by me.

A lot of people here are older and been doing your work for more than 20 years.  Are you keeping up?  Has the technology just gone crazy and changing too fast?  What are you doing to keep up?  What do we need to know to be employable?  

I've been thinking of getting a retail job.   :emo_gavel:

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3829 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

The new technical skills for web developers are many. Here's a quick list of acronyms and buzzwords to get anyone started down the path of craziness.

Gulp

Grunt

Angular.js

Node.js

JSON

Bower

Less

Sass

Vagrant

VVV

Git

SVN

Composer

It's getting exhausting. I can't keep up, and there's no point in me even trying. I'm good at what I do, and I'll continue to do what I do for some time. But at some point, maybe a couple of years down the road, I'll be too far behind the curve. At that point, hopefully, my real-life business as a wedding officiant that doesn't involve the internet at all (short of having a website) will be enough to sustain me. Hopefully, the timing will be right. I have very little wedding business yet, but by then, it should be picking up steam enough to allow me to focus less on web dev and more on officiating weddings. We'll see. If you plan to keep up with web dev at this stage....best of luck!

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13848 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Of them, I recognize 7  :dazed:

I seriously don't want to play the game anymore.  

#4 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:43 AM

Geez, has this business/field become too large?

Kim, I know what your passion is. Don't people see it? Smaller companies? You must have oodles of connections.

So what you're saying is the business needs paper proof over genuine passion? Most of us know the latter will provide better results.

Do they use all those gismos mentioned above? Are they really necessary?

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13848 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Kim, I know what your passion is. Don't people see it? Smaller companies? You must have oodles of connections.

My connections seem to have forgotten me.  <_<

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5679 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

I don't like getting webmaster messages from Google  telling me to "do this"... "do that".... "jump through this hoop".... "jump through that hoop".

This is a three person office that gets some help from consultants.   There's a limit on how much a small company can learn, implement and maintain on top of running their business, trying to stay competitive, and maybe try to get a little ahead.

I would not complain if these are genuine improvements that Google has researched and has a commitment to make them a significant part of their algo.  But, a lot of this stuff that Google tells you to do today gets abandoned by Google tomorrow and they don't even tell you that they abandoned it.   It is like they hold up these hoops and tell you to jump it and then pull the hoop away after you left the ground. 

So, I kinda have the attitude that I am just going to work on content and do the bare minimum of this tech stuff that Google keeps tossing at you.   Historically, that is what I have done and it has worked rather well.  Don't know what the future hold, though.

Edited by EGOL, 30 April 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13848 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

Well.  I feel accomplished!  I just made my first app using Angular.js.

Now, to conquer the world.  :infinite-banana: 

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4561 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

I need to learn how to make apps.

Might have a look

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users