• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4825 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

It is long, 38,000 words long, it is not only the cover story for Bloomberg Businessweek (10-June-2015) it is the only article in the issue.

What is Code? by Paul Ford.

Read it.
And then if not to yourself look at your children or grandchildren with you've read in mind.

And as a companion piece let me recommend:
Charlie Rose: A Conversation with editor Josh Tyrangiel and writer and programmer Paul Ford

Edited by iamlost, 20 June 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1907 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Its a very long article.  I've started it and will work my way through it.  thanks for the reference.

#3 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

Very long article. You could cut 75% of the text and still thoroughly make the same points.

I've spent my career working for a huge global corporation. Mine had far more productivity controls and fewer convention trips that kept spending down and productivity up compared to what he describes.

I have a much higher opinion of PHP then he does.

And lastly i would expand the part about HTML (and CSS) and emphasis that they are NOT programming. I really irks me when someone claims they code because they know a few html tags.

#4 WebOutGateway

WebOutGateway

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:51 AM

It's TOO long.. even the nerdiest of the nerd might find this one long.... but It looks interesting. He did an okay job at peppering it with graphics. 

Anyway, I wasn't able t finish it. If it's really 38k words long, I did about 25-30k. haha. I think he's trying to fully explain coding to everyone... like everything he learned, studied, read, etc. down to the last drop. Kudos to Mr. Ford. It's an article I'd recommend to anyone, especially to web developers, whether its a veteran or a student. Thanks for posting, OP. :) 

#5 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:56 AM

I'm not a geek. Guess you need to be a math genius for most of this stuff? I had a hard enough time with Algebra and those other math things.

I never understand how code creates things. It's like some magical thing that comes out of a bunch of zeros and ones. And yet more and more are being create daily. Naturally it probably helps if you know how to type instead of using two fingers like me. Well, maybe three now and then.

My hats off to the geniuses.

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2500 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

I did go through it but in about 5 sittings (short attention span) and watched Charlie Rose first to get an idea.

For good parts of the article, it was a trip down memory lane.

the part about HTML (and CSS) and emphasis that they are NOT programming

These were my thoughts also. html is markup only and does not qualify as a language but I will not get into an argument about it.

As to the point made above:

And then if not to yourself look at your children or grandchildren with you've read in mind

I have neither but can speculate. Provided they get into that line of work: Wow are they screwed (substitute 4 letter word, not puck) if they choose wrong. Not everyone will be a TMitTB or CTO or a 10K or Larry Page or Mark Zuckerberg.

Try opening the article then scrolling to the bottom. :P

Edited by bobbb, 23 June 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13908 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

I think that iamlost secretly takes pleasure in providing us with the most incredibly mind blowing resources out there that require many beers or glasses of wine to finish, and then come back to the table to discuss.   :dazed:

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users