• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

Every great once in a while, I get a contact from a directory whose listing I had paid for, that at the time stated "one time processing fee...no recurring charges...lifetime listing".

Then years later, like yesterday, I get a notice that the directory has decided that they are re-reviewing sites and that another listing fee is due. Also changing over to "yearly renewals". That older listings require re-review...otherwise they will downgrade....lower rankings, nofollow tags...

Clearly this is out of line.

I can even cite the old agreement.

What to do with these scammers? Report them to...

Edited by optisite, 25 June 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5765 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

I would forward them a copy of your original agreement and tell them...  "there seems to be a mistake, my listing has a "one time fee" which I paid on June 17, 2009".

#3 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2171 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

Yep, if that was the agreement then they can't change it. Worth checking what else the aggreement says though, for example is there an option for them to just remove your site instead or a time limit in the small print.

My bank had to do an about face last year - they'd promised 'free banking for life' and wanted to bring in charges, sent out notifications etc. but they had to back down and only apply it to new customers.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4581 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

Go on, name them. It's Goguides you are talking about isn't it?

I also paid the one time fee. Only to be told yesterday I now need to pay annually. 

Well, according to my web stats, Goguides has not sent any referrals in the past year - a big fat zero.

My guess is that hardly anybody uses their directory, they know SEOs used to rate it, few people are paying post-Penguin, so are now making a last ditch attempt to get some more cash before pulling the plug.

They can take their invoice and shove it where the sun does not shine.

#5 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

Yes it is GoGuides.org - and I should have titled the post that way. No need to be so delicate with someone who tries these stunts, scamming the customer.

I've already printed off some older info via waybackmachine. But I think I have the originals somewhere.

If they want to suddenly call these 'older sites' and try and place them under a new 'editable category' -- they are still legally bound by the original agreement.  They are threatening to devalue what was paid for while the original term is spelled out as "lifetime listing". Any costs associated with updates are their own. Their responsibility.

"one time processing fee...no recurring charges...lifetime listing".  Is pretty explicit. Will have to review the agreement again but this looks like maybe they should incur a penalty.  Maybe they'll run when they find out they can't get away with it.

-Image now tarnished forever. Congratulations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As of Dec 7, 2014:

"GoGuides Easy Submit Service Includes:
•One-time review fee no recurring charges.
•Submission is processed in 24 hours.
•Your website receives a lifetime listing in GoGuides.
•Money back guarantee if your website is declined.
•Permanently locked only staff can edit your listing.
•Using sitemaps GoGuides will notify Google YAHOO! and BING of your new listing.
•Request listing edit anytime using our free recycle service."

What GoGuides.org now posts today:

"

I also paid the one time fee. Only to be told yesterday I now need to pay annually. 

Well, according to my web stats, Goguides has not sent any referrals in the past year - a big fat zero.

My guess is that hardly anybody uses their directory, they know SEOs used to rate it, few people are paying post-Penguin, so are now making a last ditch attempt to get some more cash before pulling the plug.

• Submission is processed in 24 hours.
  • Your website receives a lifetime listing in GoGuides.
  • Money back guarantee if your website is declined.
  • Permanently locked only staff can edit your listing.
  • Your listing is included in GoGuides sitemaps.
  • Request listing edit anytime using our free recycle service.
  • Your website is exempt from a nofollow tag for one year.
  • Monitoring of your website by GoGuides Spam Tracker."

So they are trying to hide this via the nofollow tag.

Attached: Today's 'add url' page - which makes no mention of renewal or its fees.
    Also Attached: The renewal link mentioned below is not linked to from the main page as late as Apr 2015
    note: both are attached for learning purposes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on the newer renewal page, at http://www.goguides.org/renewal.html -- wayback machine does not have it archived meaning it is relatively new.  That page today says:

"Website renewal removes the downgraded status for aging links.

Older listings require a yearly review to retain trust in the GoGuides system. To provide a good user experience, GoGuides has to ensure that listings have the most current and accurate information available, which requires a yearly review at minimum. Websites that opt out of the yearly review will remain listed in GoGuides, but in a downgraded status. Downgraded websites can expect lower topic rankings, decreased exposure in the GoGuides search, and a nofollow tag attached to their topic link. The downgraded status applies to all listings aging over twelve months in GoGuides without a human review.
    Once you renew your listing in GoGuides, your website will gain trust in our system. GoGuides staff members will review your listing to ensure proper topic placement and accurate information."

Attached Thumbnails

• goguide submit.gif
  • goguide index apr 015.gif

Edited by optisite, 25 June 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5765 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

Yep.  It says  "Lifetime Listing".  Those fweasels.

#7 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1911 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

In general I can't imagine directories of that ilk are worth anything.   10 to 7 years ago I submitted to directories up the kazoo.   I also have local sites,wherein one sorts of needs to submit to local directories, such as internet Yellow Page sites.

None of them deliver traffic.  Basically none.  The exception being if a directory type of site shows highly in search.

But they mostly don't.   I did see 2 visits in the last year for one site from dmoz  (FREE)   ;)  no submission fee.     It was 4 the year before.

If they can't deliver traffic don't pay for them.  These days they can't be worth bunk on a link value basis.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4581 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Yeah. I paid in 2008 when it was still the recommended thing to do by SEOs.

No different from Yahoo! directory and Best Of the Web - none of them sent me visitors. £60 will get 60-120 visits from Adwords, maybe more on less competitive keywords. Probably money better spent.

Edited by jonbey, 25 June 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#9 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

And if you, my friends, think they aren't worth their salt now, wait til Google finds out they are exploiting nofollow tags in this way

-They'll strangle the Goo out of them.

Edited by optisite, 25 June 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#10 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4581 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

There is only one reason why they would do this now - they are already dead.

#11 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

compete.com gives - "Compete can find no data for this website"

alexa -   62 % of traffic comes from India with 3% U.S,

#12 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4828 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

Directories became passé for SEO years ago (with elatively few exceptions) so that unless a directory is specific to your niche and/or referrs actual converting traffic in reasonable numbers it is at best useless and at worst a hazard.

IMO, given the posts in this thread (note: I have no other knowledge of this specific directory) I'd REQUIRE the directory to remove my listing forthwith.

#13 test-ok

test-ok

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:58 PM

There is only one reason why they would do this now - they are already dead.

Exactly!!!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users