• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2824 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

I am currently involved in a monster 25 page technical specification for a website build.

There will be content blocks on each of the pages that will definitely be duplicated. I don't want those content blocks chewing up on-page optimization that will be controlled in a very careful way.

I thought I would ask about some of the ways I can overcome content duplication in web-pages.

I want information to be useful for the people visitng my website but I am having difficulty speccing this in knowing how STOOPID search engines are.

Any tips? Or actual methods I can use?

Glyn.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4860 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

iframe.

Put each duplicate content chunk on it's own page, block such pages in robots.txt, have an iframe call/load the content on pages as required.

The real kicker here is that you need sufficient other content of interest on the page that the page can rank.

A secondary concern is if you actually want to also rank for the information in those 'hidden' chunks. :)

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2824 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Line 1 & 2 thanks.

Lines 3 & 4 don't insult me :)

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4860 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Lines 1 & 2 for you.

Lines 3 & 4 for all others not quite so experienced and knowledgable who might find the thread.

C%20_DOCUME~1_Donna_LOCALS~1_Temp_nsmail  There, I kissed it all better.  :dancebanana:  :dancebanana:  :dancebanana:

Edited by iamlost, 06 July 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2824 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

Ahh

#6 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6478 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

Not sure if it's relevant to you in this case, but... Iframes and Mobile Friendly = Scary Hard (or at least no walk in the park - depending upon how you want it to appear, there are published workarounds for just about every situation, though). It's your iPhone (and it's various versions) that will ultimately be the bane of your existence. You'll want friends and family with a bunch of them to test it out for you and tell you what's wrong (Note: Chrome's emulator doesn't emulate the iPhone and Iframes issue at all - so you'll never see it in that - it has to be the real deal).

if it were me, I'd provide the pertinent info on page and then allow some user interaction (click or something) to bring in the superfluous stuff with javascript and AJAX. Since it's not "on page" it won't confuse the search engines, but it can be accessed on page by the people who need to and choose to see it.

G.

#7 TheAlex

TheAlex

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

I wouldn't use iframes. Even with noindex it could eat into your crawl budget too. How about expandable read more links?

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2824 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

Yes, that was my thinking, but can text content be unloaded without slowing page experience?

#9 TheAlex

TheAlex

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'm not sure if I've ever tried but I think it should be possible with CSS. Using a:active to reveal CSS-hidden text on click. It that doesn't work, it's definitely possible with CSS and very minimal JavaScript.

This is quite a useful list: http://www.w3schools...s_selectors.asp

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4860 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Please be aware that Google and other SEs now read and render CSS and javascript so that simply hiding (by whatever method) does not mitigate duplicate content. You probably know this but the solutions suggested do not answer the title question.

Also use of robots.txt increases crawl budget by removing those pages from consideration.

Yes, iframes can be a responsive and/or iOS pita but so are images and other things. It is a matter of requirements. And short hair so that you can't get a tear it out grip...

#11 TheAlex

TheAlex

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

Google say they don't render all JavaScript, but they're doing their best to. They place less value on content that is hidden, so hiding this content may help with indexation. They're also aware that boilerplate/duplicate content exists, so there's no need to worry about it too much - think user experience first and foremost.

Google sometimes follow links blocked in robots.txt, so I'm not sure if it disallowing stuff always helps crawl budget. I'd like to get around to some log file analysis to figure it out.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users