• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14018 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hopefully I have the correct link...https://plus.google....ttiebnbs?cfem=1

Bill and Ammon were admins here 100 years ago in the early days of these forums when a pile of now famous people gathered here to help people build and market their websites.

They are inviting the original cast and crew for a reunion tomorrow.  (I'm not sure the time zone).

Bill and Ammon's Bogus Hangout #35 3 -4 pm

Playing the role of Den Mom will be me.

Bill says you are ALL invited!

#2 BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15651 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Thank you Kim!  I'm looking forward to doing a little catching up with people. It's at 12:00 (pst), 3:00 (est) and 8:00 (gmt).

I'll look forward to seeing as many of you as can make it, there. :)

#3 cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14018 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Time zone update

It's at 12:00 (pst), which means it's at 3:00 (est) and at 8:00 in london (gmt)

(Thanks Bill!)

#4 BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15651 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

You're welcome. :)

#5 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2069 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

Sure wish I could do this. Unfortunately, living out in the sticks as I do, my bandwidth precludes those live "hangouts."

Say Hi to everyone for me. :)

#6 iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4938 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

Watched. It was quite good. :)

All their 'bogus' hangouts are on YouTube for those who want to check them out.

#7 cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14018 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Just signed off.  It went on for another 1.5 hours of gabbing - not live.

I had tech issues but finally got in there and on the panel in the last 15 minutes about.

The discussion off camera got into why there are so few women in SEO and in these forums. Lots of questions to John Mu.  I did tell everyone that Ron said hi.  Send2Paul came in after we off-live and a few other folks.  Was a nice way to spend a few hours.

#8 Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6495 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:15 AM

Good stuff. Lots of memories rehashed in 60 minutes. It's also fun to see that a lot of the things we talked about back in the day are still relevant today. I think one would be hard pressed to find another Internet themed site that has been around this long where you can go back to something that is a decade old and still find the information to be true. If we look at the evolution of SEO over the past dozen or so years, it would seem that nothing is the same - PageRank? What's that? - Web Directories? About as useful as a phone book. - Asking for links? Aren't we supposed to be asking people to stop linking to us?

Cre8asite was always on the cutting edge because we talk about fundamentals rather than the tricks. With all the changes in the past decade, it's hard to imagine that something 13 years old could possibly be useful anymore. Yet, this forum is full of stuff like that. Aside from the fact that most of the links are broken, the facts and concepts in Ammon's Kick-Start Guide are as relevant today as they were then. (And even if the links are dead, the link text gives you clues as to what is important so a quick search in Google can bring you to relevant answers.) I could probably find 100 more threads from back in the day which would contain just as much relevant info.

As the guys pointed out early in the broadcast - things really aren't the same here anymore. Forums are no longer cool. The sheer volume of resources available today (quality aside) makes us feel like all that can be known is already known. Many of the founding members have moved on to other things - many of which have nothing to do with the Internet or even technology. It's just not the same.

But in the same way that SEO isn't the same, this place is still highly relevant in spite of all the changes. The things that made this place the #2 industry forum for a time (#2 to Webmaster World, which had the #1 spot by virtue sheer volume and name recognition, not necessarily quality and usefulness) are the same things that make it #1 in my heart today. No matter how smart computers get, and no matter how much of the web stuff can be automated and we don't need to think about it anymore, it still comes down to the people behind it all. And, like it or not, we're those people.

Thanks for 14 great years here, Kim (and another 4 years before that; 4 years that I'm sorry I missed out on). Thanks to Bill and Ammon (and the rest of the gang in the podcast) for the trip down memory lane. Thanks to everyone here who have taught me so many new things, even though a lot of the things I learned may have originally come in the form of a question. Over the years, I've sometimes been referred to as a know-it-all. Ultimately, that's not accurate. I'm just a wanna-be know-it-all. And every day spent here brings me that much closer to my goal.

#9 BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15651 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:38 AM

It was a pleasure getting to talk to Kim and Joe and Adrian and Paul and John.   One of the great things about this forum were the conversations it generated, and those were often a mix of fun and education wrapped into one.

Cre8asite was the best learning experience I had in the fundamentals of SEO and marketing.

It would have been good to have seen you there, Grumpus. But it's great seeing you involved here. I learned a lot from you, and owe you thanks.  And thank you, Kim. And everyone else who made Cre8asite the experience it was, and is.

#10 cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14018 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

I didn't think the Universe wanted me there as I was having issues...finally walked one of my laptops downstairs to be closer to the router and finally had a connection that held.  Most of my time was spent 1.5 hours past the ending of the show.  Many names were mentioned, including iamlost, Stock, DianeV, Ron, Barry W. (Adrian told a story about the elephants) and EGOL.  

I watched it today and teared up.  

Thank you for not forgetting.

Edited by cre8pc, 12 August 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#11 glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2899 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

Greetings from Austria. Looked fun.

#12 Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9343 posts

Posted Today, 01:52 AM

Just in case it wasn't already clear, Bill and I have those hangouts almost every week.  They are a great fun way to meet up with friends old and new, and somehow, something interesting and entertaining always seem to emerge from the unplanned discourse.  Each week we open up any empty spots to anyone that cares to jump in (including folks with only audio), so the invitation to join us is always open.

Grumpus I actually linked to the "Linking Strategies" thread from back in 2003 only last year precisely to illustrate how little had really changed, if you'd been following sensible practices back then.  I got fed up of all the assumptions that SEO had changed so very much, and that all we had back in the day was spam tactics. :)

I'm currently in the midst of reworking, revamping and expanding another classic thread, by creating a new series of "Marketing 101".  Bigger, bolder, and starting out with video (from which we can pull clips and transcripts later), I'm sincerely hoping that this new resource on the topic will be just as useful and long-lasting as "the most important discussion" has been over the years.  In all, I believe we have 12 sessions planned (9 down so far), with each a packed hour.  The feedback so far on it has been excellent.

RSS Feed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users