10 replies to this topic

#1 domokun

domokun

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:17 AM

hello all,
my company wants to introduce incentives in order to inspire the SEO to work at his hardest and acheive results; its a bonus scheme basically.
so i have two questions for you knowledgable lot

1> is a bonus scheme for SEO a good idea?
2> what can be effectively measured, in terms of SEO, to determine the amount of bonus given?

i feel question two has the most potential for discussion and debate because i cant think of anything that can be measured that isnt at the whim of the search engines

:|

#2 domokun

domokun

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:49 AM

okay, no one appears to be helping me in this situation, so let me re-phrase the question:

my company wants (quite rightly) to monitor the success of organic SEO (ie. this SEO does not include PPC campaigns) project. how can we best monitor the success/failings/progress of the SEO project?

average rankings across 50 keywords?
monitoring traffic generated by the project?
help, please!

#3 JamesW

JamesW

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:49 AM

Sounds tricky.

The 'problem' with SEO is that there are many different objectives to it. Some projects will focus on increasing visitor numbers, some based on increasing conversion rates and sales and other based on things like encouraging newsletter sign-ups.

If you're good at your job and work hard why would you need any incentives - or perhaps I'm being a little naive here?

Incentives such as these almost imply that improvement is wanted.

In SEO the end results don't always equate to the hard work put in. And it can be quite a length of time before a project can be deemed a success.

Cheers

James

#4 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:56 AM

It depends what your company itself wants to promote from its SEOs. Do they do research? If so, then rewarding the SEO who works out something important that the whole team can use is an obvious move. Do you charge clients by ranking positions? If so then reward success in this area.

What are the core attributes of your commercial service? Those are the attributes you want to reward staff for enhancing with greater excellence.

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9011 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:44 AM

i cant think of anything that can be measured that isnt at the whim of the search engines

It's also affected by what competitive web pages may be doing, too. I think it's a tough call.

<brainstorming>I wonder whether approaching this from a completely different direction would make any sense. It doesn't even have to be a monetary reward to get people working hard. So why not have a little internal competition among the team.

Each person does a write-up of any project where they've done something they're proud of. Each competition runs for two weeks. On the final Friday of the two weeks, you have a short team meeting to discuss the entries with a secret voting procedure. You then have a crazy trophy that the winner gets to display on their desk for the next two weeks. I don't know whether this would work in your organization, but it might be fun. :) </brainstorming>

#6 JamesW

JamesW

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:57 AM

Might get too competitive and divide your team like a knife through butter?

#7 domokun

domokun

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:25 AM

thanks all for your answers thus far. i realise it isnt an easy call to make but its something the company wants to d; personally, im not entirely in favour of this approach because i can see the flaws in the system.
the problem i have, is if a target system is choosen, the measurement of its success is biased from the start:
eg.
the idea - you use average ranking. the higher the website appears in googles rankings for certain search terms, the more the bonus.
the problem - if google changes its algorithm(s) positions may be lost or gained with no interference from the SEO

but then, the purpose of the SEO is to increase rankings for search terms, so, maybe this is an acceptabel risk?!

really baking my noodle this!

#8 K.S. Katz

K.S. Katz

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:50 AM

But what search terms? I worked for an agency once that offered bonuses for #1 rankings in Google. Well when the client started ranking, the boss changed the rules and said that any search term wouldn't do, it had to be a select group of search terms...(it becomes a long drawn out story that I don't need to torture you with) needless to say it got very frustrating for management and staff.

You may want to consider a ROI measurement instead. Possiblely a CPL or CPA?

#9 Webby

Webby

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:10 AM

One way to do it is to take a start point based on search engine traffic acquired from your log files over say a period of a week, and then reward increases in traffic after a reasonable time (say two months) after. Eg. base it on percentage increase from the start point. I dont believe in just making it a position based ranking for specific search terms, the goal is to increase relevant search engine traffic which can mean a large number of keyword combinations being better found.

Alan

#10 mauipedro

mauipedro

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:23 PM

What type of site? Is there an e-commerce based element? I think increase in sales would be a better way to quantify the success of an SEO campaign. I would think your company would want to incent you not just on SEO, but on stickiness and usability.

#11 SEO Richard

SEO Richard

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:12 PM

ROI sounds a good starting point. Rankings alone doesn't mean much unless there's conversions. Presumably you've got a website, you've got the logs (so you know how much traffic you're getting, where and for what terms) and you know how many conversions you're getting. So that's the baseline. Then you'll have your SEO's wages, so that's your investment too at the moment as you haven't mentioned PPC.

If you're going the whole hog you'll be thinking about what your website does for you - does it advance your brand? Increase your customer's awareness of your company or products? Give them the information they need to consider making a purchase at a later date?

How can you measure those things? You can't. You can measure simple ROI though, so that's the easy and obvious answer, but if you're going the whole hog I'd suggest sitting the boss down and asking, first and foremost, what exactly s/he wants from the site. Which can be tantamount to asking where s/he thinks the company is going.

Doesn't sound, from what you say, as if the boss has much idea about SEO / website marketing, so maybe a bit of education for the boss is the first step.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users