Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Telecommuting...remote Work...do You Or Don't You? Love Or Dislike?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14295 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

I'm working on an article (likely 2) on the topic of telecommuting and remote employees.  I'm looking for people who do this now, or did, or wannabe's for your feedback, opinions, experiences.

Do you work remotely/telecommute?

How long?

Pro's and Con's?

Would you hire a telecommuter and why/why not?

Let me know here or via PM, if I can quote you.  Thanks!  (Article will be in SEMPost)

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14295 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

Deleted as duplicate.

Edited by iamlost, 02 February 2016 - 09:53 PM.
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6104 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

I own a business.  I work from 9:30 to 5:00 at the office.  In addition I am working a couple hours at home in the morning and a few hours at home every evening.  I work several hours per day on weekends.  Some of that is at the office and some is at home.

Doesn't every business owner telecommute outside of business hours?

How long?

This is my third career.  I worked the same kinds of hours in two previous careers, most of that before telecommuting was even thought of - but it was same stuff in a different age.  However, the first two careers I worked for a salary.  Now I am working for profits.  Nobody should work these kinds of hours for salary.   I was dumb for two careers.  Instead of working those kinds of hours for organizations who were using me I should have owned a business.  

My employees are all paid by the hour.  I believe that they deserve to be paid for every hour that they work.  

If you work all day at the office and then telecommute at night without overtime pay, think about quitting your job and starting a business.  Very few people make great money working for salary, because the organizations that they are working for are grinning.  They pay you by the month instead of by the hour for a reason. 

Would you hire a telecommuter and why/why not?

No. 

My business is small enough - three people - that everybody does a little bit of everything everyday.  Everybody is on-deck during their work hours.  We might get a truck delivery and you will be needed to pull in a couple pallets, check in the goods and put them in their place on the warehouse floor.  We might get a big order and you will be needed to prepare merchandise or help with pack and shipping.  When our shippers arrive someone needs to unlock, give them a hand, lock the doors behind them - this happens two or three times a day.  Many of your tasks will be new and you will be needed here for training or help figure out how to get new problems solved.  You must be here to answer the phone, kick out solicitors, reboot a router, shovel a little snow, accommodate inspectors, meet with vendors, hang up on telemarketers, go to the store, discuss orders with suppliers, kill a few stinkbugs, and wear an occasional janitor hat.  You need to know how to do most of your co-workers duties and fill in for them when they take time off or are sick.

Telecommuters can't do most of this stuff.  We are not going to create a telecommuter job because if we get another worker we want them to pull in a few pallets, shovel some snow when needed, and wear the janitor hat their fair share of the time.

Let me know here or via PM, if I can quote you. 

Yes, you can quote if anything is useful.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5144 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:48 PM

Not sure of the exact date but probably late-ish 1980s was when I first began to telecommute as a remote programmer/database design/GUI contractor. Between 1995 and 2005 perhaps half my webdev client jobs were totally remote, never meeting in person, the other half was one to a dozen short meetings with work done remotely. Actually, so far as IT type work I've never been an employee!

Between 2000 and now I've hired quite a few people in total; all contractors, all telecommuting.

In my case, with two types of contractors:
* working through my supplied GUI doing very specific tasks with my supplied input to meet very specific requirements;
* working from my requirements to a known end, i.e. photographer, multimedia producer;
the control is substantial. The only serious 'con' being cost. :) The 'pro' being the job gets done and I truly don't have the time (or sometimes the speed/skill).

Bluntly 1: I would not have accomplished a fraction of what I have in the past 15 years without the telecommuting efforts of myriad professionals on contract.

Bluntly 2: I have no interest in being either an employee or an employer. The responsibilities and paperwork are [ expletive ].

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14295 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Thank you!  The impulse behind this is an article written by Jon Henshaw about what Raven recently experienced.

The incredible thing that happened after we lost our office

I pitched an article to SEMPost, whom I write for and it was approved.  The research has been fun.

The type of work is a big consideration for remote work.  I consider myself lucky.  When I was laid off from VerticalNet in 2001, I was hired 6 hours later by a good friend who was familiar with my skills and was contracted to AT&T Worldnet building a software application that needed testing and UI help.  They hired me as soon as I was free and paid me more than I was making at VERT.   

#6 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2274 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Sometimes I take my laptop into a different room - does that count? ;)

#7 kaybee0430

kaybee0430

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

In some ways, yes. I'm a salaried employee so I will sometimes bring my laptop home at night and on the weekends to do catch up on extra work or do things above and beyond my role. I also travel frequently for my job, and we are expected to get work done from the road. There are probably about ten weeks a year where I am working from the road instead of my office.

I've also done freelance projects, where there was no expectation for me to work in an office during the companies hours.

For the main component of my job, though, I am working in the office.

Pro's and Con's?
Most of the work I do on the computer can absolutely be done by telecommuting. The pro of that is that when I'm sick, or there's a snow day, or there is something that needs to get done outside of office hours, I am able to do it.

Another pro would be the potential to be as efficient as possible. If you're working remotely you can choose where to work, and you can work in a quiet place uninterrupted. In an office setting, there are a lot of disruptions that can derail your concentration and flow.

A con of working remotely would be the lack of comraderie between employees. In my current position, we have one employee that works full time in NYC. Often it seems as though he's lazy or doesn't do the work right. Part of that is the fact that he isn't part of most in office meetings, and can't easily ask questions of colleagues. It seems on the surface that he isn't held as accountable for his mistakes as those of us in the office would be. In many ways, this has caused a rift between the in office employees and the remote employee.

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14295 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

Judging from the responses I have received, I'm planning a Part 2 article on this topic.

SEMPost published my article on the topic of telecommuting today - I wove into it an interview with Jon Henshaw.

Raven Tools Happy With Balance of Remote Office and In-House Work Environment

#9 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3027 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

My office walls are streaming green numbers in vertical. I think this is a good sign.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users