• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 etisa

etisa

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Greetings, I have a project which is a website to help visitors choose the product that best suits them among a long list, according to their (the visitors') criteria.

It's very similar to the multi criteria filter form that is found on some product review websites such as dpreview.com mine would be much simpler though.

My worry is that since my website will be limited to just a page to filter and list products (no e-commerce, no forum, no members or anything complex) I'd prefer to avoid having to manage a heavy CMS.

Alternatively, I might be happy with just a script that does this and that could be included in an already existing HTML page.

What do you suggest ?

#2 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

Alternatively, I might be happy with just a script that does this and that could be included in an already existing HTML page.

If you want a fast, light page a simple script would be the best way to go. I don't know of any existing one to use but it wouldn't take a programmer long to make a custom one. You could be taught to edit the database list directly or a second script could be made for you to add/delete/modify items from the database's criteria list (i'm assuming it's a large/complex enough list that a database is a better choice over a text file).

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Not claiming to have an answer. A few things which might be worth mentioning. Others may join in with ideas.

How many items/categories? To help a potential programmer how would you go about manually selecting from your list meaning is your data already in a database (of any kind) with all the select criteria tagged or easily findable. If you can't do it now by hand then a program may have the same problem.

Is all your data well organised? (to help a potential programmer)

... and since this will be a form you might want to read this:
https://www.cre8asit...ngs-and-chrome/

#4 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

If i was programming this i wouldn't use a form.

I would use AJAX.

#5 etisa

etisa

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

I've had a quick look at the jQuery/CSS list filters and they are too simple I'm afraid, so hiring a coder might be a better solution than bothering with any CMS. I'll just find a design I like and add some PHP to get multiple pages of it.

I'm also open to a client side solution that doesn't require page reloading/form.

I haven't yet gathered all the data for the list, but I can tell you that it will have few items, around 30, and there will be only one category per page. The filter and criteria however will be more complex than yes or no, though nothing difficult to code.

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Ajaxsearchpro but needs wp

#7 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm also open to a client side solution that doesn't require page reloading/form.

A client side only solution would be done using Javascript. The Javacript simply filters the options and updates the result pages without reloading the whole page.

If the lists are long or complex i recommend a database. In this case when a user changes an option Javascript sends the updated filter options to a php program on the server which uses the database to get the matches. The php then returns these matches to the Javascript which updates the results area of the page, but doesn't reload the whole page. This process is known as AJAX ("asynchronous JavaScript and XML").

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users