• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

This year's PubCon Search Personality of the Year is Melissa Fach. She posted the slides from one of her talks/workshops and this one applies to everyone who writes content. It's very good and worth taking the time to see.

An Editor's Perspective

Some Truths… We remember who you are. And, editors across publications talk – often. 

Personal Pet Peeves: Contractions Too many contractions will make an article sound casual and not authoritative. And, people don’t read in their heads the way that they speak. 

My rule of thumb is that it is okay to relax somewhat in a personal blog but for ALL professional writing, articles, marketing content and content I want taken seriously, no contractions. 

I see more websites than most people due to my work and one of the UX criteria for credibility and authenticity is readability and the quality of writing. I always need editors to look over my work. It is a lesson I learned when I worked for a magazine publisher.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:13 AM

I enjoyed a few of the items in her numbered list......

There is a TON of competition out there.

But honestly, there is not a lot of GOOD competition out there.

This one was the best.....

WOW Me With Your Expertise!!! Editors know if you are just a “writer”.

You can have advanced degrees, certifications, awards, and 40 years of experience and still not know everything about your topic - or have the ability to communicate it well.

A lot of the content on the web was produced by "writers" with no experience or education who don't know what they don't know.  

Fake news, fake content... this fake stuff is everywhere.

#3 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:42 AM

when it should be its

I don't get that. It is = it's. Correct? Oh, used for it has. Don't use that, but I do use a lot of contractions..I think.

Things to think of.

An small example I did in DW search on my site. Comments?

've - 153 - 483 documents
n't - 346
it's - 230
'll - 96

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

I don't get that. It is = it's. Correct?

Yes.  Some of the grammar rules that I learned suggest that "it's" would be possessive.

Contractions in the writing that I read don't bother me very much... but it's obvious that Melissa Fach really dislikes them.

I like to use two spaces after a period, and you can get into some huge arguments over that.   Folk can spend their energy on whatever they want.  :-)

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

I learnt (or learned) it's = it is and its is possessive and in online stuff I find often enough double spaces either don't show up or are squished   to one. (it seems not here) Depending on the audience and how you want to come across I see no problem with contractions. They sound informal like a chat or directions for something as if you were actually speaking with someone and not a lawyer. We humans are really good at doing mental corrections such that its instead of it's or vice versa would not change our comprehension. Same wit their there. I see the idea of double spaces after a period. With kerning and proportional fonts sometime its hard to see the space.

60. What Words Are Not Needed? PLEASE - remove unnecessary wording. Keep it simple, clean & easy to read!

The word "that" often qualifies
"and in online stuff I find often enough (that) double spaces either"

I'm Starting To Really Hate All Initial Caps And All UPPERCASE In Titles and underlining anywhere. Underline was for typewriters when it was your only tool.

Edited by bobbb, 11 November 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

WOW Me With Your Expertise!!! Editors know if you are just a “writer”.

I've never understood how content marketers churned out articles on every topic under the sun without any personal experience with the topic. Some of them seem to be good at it.  I can't do it. I need to know what the heck I'm talking about when I write about a topic.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I've never understood how content marketers churned out articles on every topic under the sun without any personal experience with the topic.

Those with the lowest skill simply pick a topic and blather.  Matters not if their blather makes sense or even if it is correct and precise.  They just want to make text on a page, that search engines will index and they can collect money from ads.

Others with low skill visit a number of relevant sites, grab sentences here and there, sort them topic, slightly edit each one, and then make a page of one-sentence paragraphs.  This relieves them from writing in a way that their sentences work together.  It is a page of "ideas" that Google might rank well - especially if it is a long page.

Some with more skill go to your site, copy/paste your content into their word processor, and do a sentence-by-sentence rewrite, keeping the paragraph structure.  Google likes this even better. 

Both of the above hyperlink relevant words to amazon.com, and make buckets of money for very little work.

Then you have the ones who will do it at scale.  They pick one of the methods above, have a computer scrape the content, do a automated rewording and toss up a few websites per day.

Google has been talking about EAT and YMYL (explained here by Julia Spence-McCoy).  I think that they have promise but I have not seen them sorting the SERPs yet.  I see websites owned by the world's foremost authority in certain fields outranked consistently by sites run by scamps who produce nothing but blather - even blather with negative YMYL implications of a medical nature.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Give me 3 facts and I will turn it into 600 words.

Everyone except writers will enjoy it, the writers will say that piece has 3 facts in it and it's sh**.

That's why I don't write articles but my briefs are plainly filthy in the detail and constructions of what I want produced :)

At the bottom of the content authority pile I invite you to consider Kontent Machine 3 and The Best Spinner but only if you are playing with tech.

G.

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

It seems Google with all its smarts and "Artificial Intelligence" is still being played and I suspect will keep on being played in the future. They will always be one step behind.

Matters not if their blather makes sense or even if it is correct and precise

Sound a lot like some of the songs when I was a youth like White Rabbit and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

The critical point that just about everyone forgets, ignores, even denies is that Google has absolutely no real direct understanding of what is on a given page. All the machine learning (NOT artificial intelligence, that's totally marketing hype, media ignorance, and SEO 'guru' incompetence) that may or may not be brought to bear is still working with implicit (aka NOT explicit) inputs. And implicit inputs are explicitly game-able, for those that like that sort of thing.

Playing off bobbb, I've always thought of the following as a near perfect summation of SEO content creation and Google's implicitness inabilities:

#11 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Geez, now I now how old you guys are, but I can relate to White Rabbit...Go Ask Alice. Love it.

Edited by Ken Fisher, 13 November 2017 - 06:51 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users