• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_Sardell

Steve_Sardell

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:52 PM

The point of view that PageRank is dead is kind of a very static view of the world. It will always continue to be a part of our ranking scheme

This is from a recent interview with Craig Silverstein. It is short, and worth a few minutes time.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:26 PM

Nice interview, Steve. Thanks.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here, but there was a pretty nice recent interview with Sergey Brin at the end of April, too:

Google's Brin Talks on Gmail Future

#3 JamesW

JamesW

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:07 AM

Interesting.

I guess the question of whether PageRank is dead all depends on what you define PR as being.

Let's look at a jar!

For me PR is simply a label. It shouldn't be discussed as being equivalent to link popularity, keyword optimisation, etc.

Cheers

James

#4 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:32 AM

I sort of think of page rank as "materiality". How much does something weigh in importance. If you could split relevance and materiality when it comes to answering a query, page rank would be the materiality part of the equation. A result is relevant, but is it more or less material than other results.

It's just one part of the overall weighing and balancing of results.

#5 rustybrick

rustybrick

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1361 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

Who remembers talking to clients about the meaning of pagerank?

Now I see myself telling clients and prospects to take PageRank as "materiality", like Bill said. It is kind of like Alexa's ranking numbers, in the sense of it being an ego trip for someone.

Of course I do not own a PR9 site, only PR6s. I might have a different view if I ran a PR9 or 8 site. But the SERPs do not lie, many pages in the top rankings have an average PR and rank above the higher PRs.

#6 peter_d

peter_d

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1914 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:13 PM

Obviously a high PageRank score will not guarantee a top ranking.

However, that's not the same thing as saying PageRank is therefore worthless. PageRank is still an important part of the ranking algo. It's just working a little differently these days.

BTW: If you want to see how important SEOs consider page rank to be, stand up at a conference and offer a free link from your PR9 site to the first person who wants it.

You'll get killed in the crush :lol:

#7 Steve_Sardell

Steve_Sardell

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:23 PM

BTW: If you want to see how important SEOs consider page rank to be, stand up at a conference and offer a free link from your PR9 site to the first person who wants it.

And I'll have my jet Nikes on

#8 rustybrick

rustybrick

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1361 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

Here is an old but very popular post on this subject http://jeremy.zawodn...ves/000751.html

"You see, PageRank was a brilliant yet simple idea at the time: use the structure of the web itself to determine what is and is not popular. But that's behind us. Google is no longer concerned solely with what's popular. Like most companies, they also care a lot about what sells or what advertisers want."

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users