Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

100+ hyperlinks on one page, okay or not?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheBicyclingGuitarist

TheBicyclingGuitarist

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 10:28 PM

My site map, fine-tuned in other forums here, has more than 100 hyperlinks on it.

On http://www.google.co...guidelines.html Google suggests "If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map into separate pages" and a few lines later says it again, "Keep the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100)."

Does that mean googlebot will skip my site map entirely, only read the first 100 links, or do something else entirely? Should I break it up? I could put the R Band section on a separate page accessed through the warning page (R-rated content).

the page in question is at http://www.TheBicycl...net/sitemap.htm

Opinions? Advice? (but the site map looks so good right now!)

The Bicycling Guitarist

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15667 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:00 PM

It does look good. I think keeping the bullets was a good touch.

I remember that within a day or two of google releasing the page with the statements about 100 links, Jorn Barger wrote a message in the Public Google Support Forums about the "limit."

The thread expresses his frustration, and raises a couple of good points.

One is that long pages aren't necessarily unreasonable. I don't see any problems with your sitemap as it is. Will Google penalize you? It's a guess on my part, but I'd guess not.

Jorn Barger has some fairly long pages on his site, and they look like they've achieved a decent page rank. Here's his James Joyce portal:

http://www.robotwisd...jaj/portal.html

#3 TheBicyclingGuitarist

TheBicyclingGuitarist

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:39 PM

It didn't take me long to split my site map into two sections, so I'll keep that as an option if I need to do it sometime in the future. For now, one page will do it for me. Thanks for your quick reply and encouragement.
The Bicycling Guitarist

#4 Guest_scottiecl_*

Guest_scottiecl_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 09:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much- that is a suggestion/guideline from Google, not a warning.

I don't believe they would penalize a page with more than 100 links although it is very likely they wouldn't give much weight to those links or possibly they would not index the whole page. That shouldn't stop you from doing it.

It seems like a lot of people talk about "penalties" from Google... my personal belief is that they do a lot more ignoring than penalizing.

#5 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15667 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 09:29 PM

I'd agree with you there, Scottie.

I think we worry a little too much about Google sometimes.

I don't think that this page is going to set off any alarms at Google. And if if did, a quick look at it would tell any reasonable person that it's a well structured sitemap that aids the visitor of the site.

I think would could probably impute some level of reasonableness to most of the folks who work at Google. :)

#6 TheBicyclingGuitarist

TheBicyclingGuitarist

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:35 PM

:) My paranoia was caused by the fact that soon after quoting the guidelines from Google in this thread, I noticed for the first time since page rank started that my pages were not ranked. Btw, is there a difference between having a page rank of 0 and not having any page rank at all.

#7 Guest_scottiecl_*

Guest_scottiecl_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:48 PM

Things are crazy right now with the current dance going on... don't worry about it. There are a lot of changes apparently being implemented. A lot of people are seeing PR 0's right now.

#8 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15667 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:07 PM

I added a new page to my personal site about 5 or 6 weeks ago.

The new page now has a page rank of zero. Most of the rest of the site went up a point. I'm not worried about it. Life's too short.

Keep in mind that most of what people know about page ranks, especially on a tool bar comes from thoughtful speculation and observation, err... lots of arguments in forums across the web.

There may have been a difference between a grey tool bar and a completely white one in the past. Anything on a toolbar these days needs to be viewed with a bit of suspicion and skepticism.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users