Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Is Google's Organic Results The Same For Everyone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 niemi

niemi

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

I had this discussion with a guy that did some optimization. He sugegsted that Google were taking users surfing habbits and other factors into consideration when they list results.

That means when two users using the same version of google, say google.com, search for car repair one could get autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/a/glossary_new.htm as the top result whereas another user searching for the same on the same version of google could get repairpal.com as the top result.

As mentioned, I'm not talking about paid links.

Is this true?

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3519 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Is this true?

Yep!

There are all kinds of personalization that play a role in Google's search results.

John

#3 niemi

niemi

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

Quick reply John, thanks.

So which data centres do we use to decide if google.com really is the top result when searching for Google?

#4 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3519 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

There is no absolute top result. :)

I put together a presentation on personalisation at Google a while back, you can see it through the Google Webmaster Central Blog.

John

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3396 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

This supposes the searcher has personalised Google search. Not sure that was part of the question. What about if the user has not. I can understand that they can take geography and language into consideration and maybe your cookies but...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users